Defensive Carry banner

How to get more Americans CC'ing

5K views 62 replies 49 participants last post by  chuck brick 
#1 ·
It seems to be everyone's "dirty little secret" that they conceal carry.

How is it ever going to become main stream if none of the :sheep: know how many folks actually carry.

I'd think having discussions with Family and Friends would get the word out on just how many people are out there with permits.

And some may even be surprised that they could actually obtain one themselves.

Thoughts.

Just really seems like it's an underground thing and is hush hush.

I do not mean yelling out hey I carry but I do let folks know that it is legal for them to protect themselves and guns are not evil and may save their bacon someday.

Just rambling I guess.

#2 ·
From mine, and other members past experience, letting people in on our 'little secret' tends to end badly. Either a 'friend' is more likely to get into a confrontation because he knows you carry or a co-worker finds out and next thing you know your employee handbook is changed. Often enough, after one person that you 'trust' knows, everybody knows, including people you would have never told on your own.

I'm all for furthering concealed carry, but just make sure the people you allow into your circle of trust truly belong there.

#3 ·
Yeah, that's a tough one. Trying to get the word out and ecourage folks to do something you can't really shout from the mountaintops.:blink:
I picture a lot of mime and scherades going on:
"Three words. First word. Hide, hiding, cover up, Oh! Conceal!
Second word..." And so on.:rofl:

#4 ·
Yea, just seems if we could get to to see it as normal, rather than shocked that they see a "man with a gun" and call the police.

Be nice if it was mainstream and was a non issue, I'm guessing in someplace's of our great country it is already like that, so guess its a start.

And yes I see your point of keeping it to folks that you trust.

#5 ·
I've only told 2 or 3 of my local friends as well as my dad. The people I see more than just a couple times a year basically. I think the people who spend the most time around you might stand the greatest chance of being there if you have to draw and I think they maybe should know. I don't mind if they tell someone else "I know a guy who carries", but I don't want them saying who specifically. I might want to be sure they know that part come to think of it... But I guess I'm doing my part to ease the info into the public's mind that way.

#6 ·
It's one of those things ya know? Sort of like---well---for example.......a few of today's top stories----yeah---you know---the bad ones like the girl who shot herself with grandma's pistol in Sam's Club. Like new pro carry laws coming into being every other week--the issues and all. See---for every one step taken forward, with ten-pro 2nd amendment issues in hand in a day------all it takes is a couple of minutes and one bad thing for it all to take eight steps backwards with a handful of statistics and obituaries. It's the venerable catch-22. When the new totalitarian government takes over and they offer rewards to your fellow citizens to identify folks in the neighborhood who are known to own evil black weapons--then you might remember exactly just how many folks you know that know you are one of those peoples. Sometimes I disdain the pessimistic side of me.

#7 ·
Maybe it is the part of the country I am in or whatever but I don't hide it but I don't go around bragging about it either. If someone asks I say yes like it is no big thing which to me it isn't. We had a speaker on the CWP process at our Men of the Church meeting a few months back and I just said that I had my CWP and several asked me about my experience with it. My previous Supervisor at work had hers and my present supervisor asked me the other day about getting hers.

As I say around here it just isn't a big deal. Half the people I know carry a gun in their car without a permit to start with.

#23 ·

This little fella might make a good companion, not exactly pocket sized, but he'll fit in a back pack LOL!

#10 ·
There's probably two or three people you see once or twice a week that carry and you don't even know. The guy behind the counter at Gas-n-stuff, or the garbage man, or the gal over at the local drug store.... I've "found out" about a few people like that myself.

But all that being said, I always keep it to myself. I have a lot of good talks with folks, and probably come off as very pro-gun (and why not?), but I never let out that I practice what I discuss.

#11 ·
Having been in a similar situation, I personally find that most of the anti cc-ing people where I live have just never been exposed to handguns. I usually go from the angle of trying to get the person to go shoot with me. If I think they enjoy it then I might mention that in Tn. you can get a permit to carry. I usually never try to mention whether or not I carry (and when I do admit I carry, I usually lie and say I don't carry all the time). I find that most of the people I know have a family and a I think it's human nature to want to protect your loved one's and want to do what they can to protect their loved ones.

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
Have to pick and choose your "battles"

Having been in a similar situation, I personally find that most of the anti cc-ing people where I live have just never been exposed to handguns.
That has been my experience exactly. Thier not really anti's, they just have zero exposure and just have an anti's 'reaction' to the 'new' knowledge of your carrying. With a positive, knowledgable, and 'sheltering' response they may come down "from the fence" on this side of the issue.

I've taken a different stance from most for a long time. I openly discuss with people (that I know, not strangers) about owning and carrying a gun. I can't carry in my workplace (by policy, not by law), so no one there gets to see it or asks to see it.
My situation is that, as an Active Duty Military member, my co-workers (and thier family and friends) are very pro-carry.....or at the very worst neutral twords the issue as a whole. Although not 'openly' discussed, it's not hidden by any means. I grew up in a rural enviroment....guns were a part of everyday life. However, carrying a handgun for protection wasn't ever considered, although there was always at least two loaded 12 gauges in my house growing up. My parents know I carry but always questioned my reasoning in keeping a sidearm. My mother does not like it. Hurricane Katrina 'altered' thier thinking on self-protection, and carrying, a little bit.
I will discuss guns, carrying, shooting, whatever with almost anyone who shows intrest in talking with me about it. Certainly not with any stranger, but those that I have had some expousre to and have some insight into thier mindset. I'm not gonna "spew forth" pro-2A quotes, negitive-outcome news stories, or rant on like some "gun nuts" like to do (we all have seen at least one of those critters) .... I'll just answer any questions or partake in any discussion in a plesent, friendly, and informative (if not being just shy of professional)
manner.

Anubis said, " If one is dedicated to concealment, for whatever reasons, there is by definition no way for him or her to champion the concealed-carry cause with others. We are open with each other and with any outsiders here in cyberspace or at IDPA or IPSC venues, but we are a secret society everywhere else, therefore very few outside our in-crowd are ever going to be aware of us."

That is a very true statement. The "anti's" hate guns and those of us who carry because.........they fear what 'they' don't know and/or can't control. That fear is based in emotion and no rational thinking will override this stance 'they' have chosen to take. And if 'they' can't control what 'they' fear, then 'they'll' fight it and all who champion it.
In retrospect, we fear 'thier' reaction and the subsuquent 'lashing' we'd recieve, be it verbal, legal, or whatever........
When I choose to 'open' myself by admitting to carrying, it's only after some careful deliberation on my part. I'm lucky my enviroment is open, if not outright friendly, about guns in general. I can't change anyone's mind once made up, but I'll "show 'n tell" in a compassionate, caring, attentive manner if for no other reason than to show them calm knowledge is better than the arguement of fear and abonishment.

When I carry concealed it's my business and nobody else's, except those in my (our) circles. To get more people in these 'circles', or at the very least accepting of 'our' choices, 'we' have be careful not only who we talk to, but how we talk.

Lets be safe and careful out there ya'll.:bier:

#12 ·
Very good points on all postings... Nothing to disagree with here.. and not too much to add either.

Not sure how others feel on a somewhat different note... I know when I forget my cell phone, part of me is still at home... the same with my firearm.
Most times I will actually turn around and return for those items..

#14 ·
NaturalState,
Last Sunday I realized once I got to church that I forgot my pen, my cell phone, AND my S & W extremeops knife.....i haven't felt that naked in a long time! Needless to say I got home, walked in the door, and picked up those items like they were my long lost children....

#13 ·
This seems to be a much more ccomplicated issue than it first appears. I, like many here, would be automatically outcast by my peers if they knew that I carried a handgun. Sadly, its a fact and its nothing but ignorance on the part of those who have been raised in an environment where their only access to information in regards to firearms is the mainstream media. I attend the University of Virginia and most of my peers are what my daddy likes to refer to as "col de sac kids." Here is an example of the mindset that many of us encounter...I used to go to William and Mary and I had hallmates who were at first genuinely disturbed because i carried a pocketknife. For those of us who have been carrying a pocketknife since our fathers or grandfathers gave us one at a young age its a ridiculous notion that people might be disturbed that we keep a "weapon" on us at all times. Sadly, this is the mindsets that many of us encounter in our everyday lives. They simply don't know anything about firearms (or simple tools such as knives for that matter) or the people that use them responsibly as tools. All they know are that police supposedly protect them with them and that the only civilians that carry them are intent on taking advantage of the general public, and thus any civilian that carries them must have bad intentions.
It is my hope that the current wave of civilians that turn to concealed carry will be able to impact people in their early years before they have formed their opinion on this emotionally charged issue. It has been my experience that the issue is far too emotionally dependent for those that have no experience with firearms to make rational conversation concerning the idea of personal carry (be it open or concealed). As a result, open conversation tends to stir up a lot of opposition that stems from fear and ignorance (two very powerful factors i'm afraid). Thus I feel that since there is so much emotion involved in this issue that the general population will need to ease into the idea and be gently exposed to the lifestyle.
I am, however, very open to everyone else's ideas on the subject as i debate it often with myself often.

#15 ·
I've taken a different stance from most for a long time. I openly discuss with people (that I know, not strangers) about owning and carrying a gun. I can't carry in my workplace (by policy, not by law), so no one there gets to see it or asks to see it.

I thought long and hard before I decided to talk about it. One of my primary deciding factors was the main point of the OP: how can I spread the word and make people think about their own safety without having an open discussion?

Being open like this has allowed me to talk someone through their first handgun purchase, find some shooting buddies, get a co-worker who was afraid of guns to go to a gunshow and actually touch a gun (OK, it was a NAA mini, but still...) and have some really good conversations during down time at work. I'm still working on getting that co-worker to go shooting with me, but am making progress.

Yes, it's a choice to tell or not. Yes, there are reasons for both. I looked at my position and decided I would be the person to promote gun ownership without being cryptic about if I carry myself or not.

#16 ·
Great post Copper! I definitely agree with your point of view....i got talking with my bus driver on the Sound Transit Seattle-Tacoma route last night and discovered that he has a CHL! Great way to meet people and get the word out!

#17 ·
My first experience with the non-gun culture was when I arrived at college (leaving my hometown rural area for the first time) with an NRA hat on and was treated like I was a crazy person. I went camping with some of my new college friends on one of the first fall weekends and we encountered some hunters. I stopped and chatted with them about the hunting in the area and wished them good luck. When I caught up to my new friends on the trail they were all freaked out they were going to get shot, that it was crazy to talk to a person with a gun, they were killing bambi, etc.

It's funny now, how clueless I was that everyone didn't understand guns and know where meat came from. And the way I would try to convert people to my thinking.

I have come to the conclusion over the years since then that there are some people who know and understand tools and have a self reliant mindset, and there are others who simply can not relate because they have no experience with those things. Guns are a hard place to start with those people. Better to start with something simple like keeping a fire extinguisher in the house, jumper cables and a snow shovel in the car, or teach them how to use a socket set to actually fix something. I think more Americans will start CC'ing when more Americans start developing responsibility (read response ability) for themselves and their lives.

I do not hide that I am a hunter or a shooter, or that I think people should have the ability to defend themselves, and that I will if I have to. But I don't talk about carrying a gun.

#18 ·
Wait until you're at work some day when some wacko disgruntled terminated employee walks in the door and starts yelling and ranting - then all of your co-workers point right at you and tell the guy:
"Hey...you had better get out of here...he carries a gun!"

That blows your concealment but, the guy leaves and then when the guy decides that he is coming back later on to do a Murder/Suicide - he surprise kicks in the door and takes you out first with his shotgun.

I'll keep my personal carry business to myself.

#20 ·
So let me get this straight...they publish who has a CCW permit in the NEWSPAPER!?!?!?! Um is that not a privacy violation in your state? I know i lived in SD and one newspaper did that. They had to publicly apologize to all the permit holders.....

#24 ·
Most people that visit our house learn the option of conceal carry. They mostly find out because when you open carry at home - and someone doesn't expect it - the topic of conversation naturally turns to carrying in public.

Never had a negative reaction - I guess I just know how to pick my friends. :hand10:

#25 · (Edited)
Doobie in #21 above scored the direct hit on this topic.

If one is dedicated to concealment, for whatever reasons, there is by definition no way for him or her to champion the concealed-carry cause with others. We are open with each other and with any outsiders here in cyberspace or at IDPA or IPSC venues, but we are a secret society everywhere else, therefore very few outside our in-crowd are ever going to be aware of us.

Of course open carry is not a topic of discussion on this board, and illegal in several states for nonLEOs, but it's the only way to promulgate carrying firearms for self defense among those not already inside the group. Unless you wear one of these:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/dapoling/SCYj9LizPxI/AAAAAAAAAzw/8fQGtSOU9AI/gun.jpg?imgmax=512 :smile:

#49 ·
If one is dedicated to concealment, for whatever reasons, there is by definition no way for him or her to champion the concealed-carry cause with others. We are open with each other and with any outsiders here in cyberspace or at IDPA or IPSC venues, but we are a secret society everywhere else, therefore very few outside our in-crowd are ever going to be aware of us.
And this, I believe, is one of the greatest strengths of concealment. The BGs don't really have a clue who is dangerous and who isn't which keeps the :sheep: safer. It also keeps the carrier safer since we don't become targets. A win/win situation.

#26 ·
A few of my close friends know, and one of them is very interested in jumping back into shooting, and then starting to carry. We just can't nail down a range time between the two of us. There is also a friend of hers, that apparently regularly carries and wants to join us. Hey, the more the merrier! The more of us, the less of :sheep:

I don't advertise that I carry, but if someone asks what are my hobbies, or something along the lines, I don't hesitate to say that I love to trap shoot (although I'm terrible at it) and shoot pistol as well. If they are anti, they just do their anti thing, and if they are interested, they ask more questions. Rarely will I go into a cc discussion unless I am directly asked. Never have I shown my firearm to anyone, even my friend who is interested in carrying. (our conversations have always taken place at school!)

It's kinda neat though, because I don't look like I'd be toting around a gun. Even if I'm printing, most people wouldn't suspect it was a gun. :wink: It's good to pull the "chic" card.

#27 ·
While I don't go around shouting that I CC all my friends know. If they don't like it they can either deal with it or find themselves a new friend. I like running around with other sheepdogs and not sheep. Now since I teach it you must advertise and talk about it constantly. Catch 22 I guess.:yup:

#28 ·
Family, friends and neighbors all know that I carry. Some neighbors get geeked out, but I simply don't care. It's my right, and I exercise it with care and responsibility.

The Country seems to have a near terminal case of the stupids and I'm trying not to catch it.

#30 ·
I keep a gun vault next close to my garage door. I have opened it taken out my gun and carried virtually everytime I've gone out with my wife and family for the last 2 years. Last night my wife saw me go to the closet and start fiddling. She asked if I was setting the alarm. I told her no I was getting my gun. She was totally taken aback. She said, you can't carry that around can you? I told her that's what a concealed handgun permit is for.

She was quiet for a while and said she thought it was weird. I told her I have been doing it for several years everytime we go out. She said "I guess I never knew that."

My concealment system is working I guess.

#36 ·
I do not understand how someone could POSSIBLY hide something like that from their spouse. I don't understand how 1) the spouse doesn't notice when disrobing... or 2) why one would feel the need to hide something like this from their spouse.

Maybe it's just me, but my wife - while she doesn't necessarily enjoy shooting - knows how to shoot and understands why I carry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.