How to get more Americans CC'ing

This is a discussion on How to get more Americans CC'ing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems to be everyone's "dirty little secret" that they conceal carry. How is it ever going to become main stream if none of the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to get more Americans CC'ing

How to get more Americans CC'ing

It seems to be everyone's "dirty little secret" that they conceal carry.

How is it ever going to become main stream if none of the know how many folks actually carry.

I'd think having discussions with Family and Friends would get the word out on just how many people are out there with permits.

And some may even be surprised that they could actually obtain one themselves.

Thoughts.

Just really seems like it's an underground thing and is hush hush.

I do not mean yelling out hey I carry but I do let folks know that it is legal for them to protect themselves and guns are not evil and may save their bacon someday.

Just rambling I guess.

2. Remove Ads

From mine, and other members past experience, letting people in on our 'little secret' tends to end badly. Either a 'friend' is more likely to get into a confrontation because he knows you carry or a co-worker finds out and next thing you know your employee handbook is changed. Often enough, after one person that you 'trust' knows, everybody knows, including people you would have never told on your own.

I'm all for furthering concealed carry, but just make sure the people you allow into your circle of trust truly belong there.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Yeah, that's a tough one. Trying to get the word out and ecourage folks to do something you can't really shout from the mountaintops.
    I picture a lot of mime and scherades going on:
    "Three words. First word. Hide, hiding, cover up, Oh! Conceal!
    Second word..." And so on.
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Yea, just seems if we could get to to see it as normal, rather than shocked that they see a "man with a gun" and call the police.

Be nice if it was mainstream and was a non issue, I'm guessing in someplace's of our great country it is already like that, so guess its a start.

And yes I see your point of keeping it to folks that you trust.

kaz
    I've only told 2 or 3 of my local friends as well as my dad. The people I see more than just a couple times a year basically. I think the people who spend the most time around you might stand the greatest chance of being there if you have to draw and I think they maybe should know. I don't mind if they tell someone else "I know a guy who carries", but I don't want them saying who specifically. I might want to be sure they know that part come to think of it... But I guess I'm doing my part to ease the info into the public's mind that way.

It's one of those things ya know? Sort of like---well---for example.......a few of today's top stories----yeah---you know---the bad ones like the girl who shot herself with grandma's pistol in Sam's Club. Like new pro carry laws coming into being every other week--the issues and all. See---for every one step taken forward, with ten-pro 2nd amendment issues in hand in a day------all it takes is a couple of minutes and one bad thing for it all to take eight steps backwards with a handful of statistics and obituaries. It's the venerable catch-22. When the new totalitarian government takes over and they offer rewards to your fellow citizens to identify folks in the neighborhood who are known to own evil black weapons--then you might remember exactly just how many folks you know that know you are one of those peoples. Sometimes I disdain the pessimistic side of me.

Maybe it is the part of the country I am in or whatever but I don't hide it but I don't go around bragging about it either. If someone asks I say yes like it is no big thing which to me it isn't. We had a speaker on the CWP process at our Men of the Church meeting a few months back and I just said that I had my CWP and several asked me about my experience with it. My previous Supervisor at work had hers and my present supervisor asked me the other day about getting hers.

As I say around here it just isn't a big deal. Half the people I know carry a gun in their car without a permit to start with.

I don't think that CCing is a "dirty little secret". I'm not ashamed that I carry a firearm. I would trade it in for a pocket sized cop in a heart beat.
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

I want my business to stay my business, until it's time to take care of business!!
    Member: NRA & GSSF
    Glock Certified Armorer
    *Oderint Dum Metuant*
    "You don't shoot to kill.... You shoot to survive."

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    There's probably two or three people you see once or twice a week that carry and you don't even know. The guy behind the counter at Gas-n-stuff, or the garbage man, or the gal over at the local drug store.... I've "found out" about a few people like that myself.

But all that being said, I always keep it to myself. I have a lot of good talks with folks, and probably come off as very pro-gun (and why not?), but I never let out that I practice what I discuss.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

jam
    Having been in a similar situation, I personally find that most of the anti cc-ing people where I live have just never been exposed to handguns. I usually go from the angle of trying to get the person to go shoot with me. If I think they enjoy it then I might mention that in Tn. you can get a permit to carry. I usually never try to mention whether or not I carry (and when I do admit I carry, I usually lie and say I don't carry all the time). I find that most of the people I know have a family and a I think it's human nature to want to protect your loved one's and want to do what they can to protect their loved ones.

Very good points on all postings... Nothing to disagree with here.. and not too much to add either.

Not sure how others feel on a somewhat different note... I know when I forget my cell phone, part of me is still at home... the same with my firearm.
    Most times I will actually turn around and return for those items..

This seems to be a much more ccomplicated issue than it first appears. I, like many here, would be automatically outcast by my peers if they knew that I carried a handgun. Sadly, its a fact and its nothing but ignorance on the part of those who have been raised in an environment where their only access to information in regards to firearms is the mainstream media. I attend the University of Virginia and most of my peers are what my daddy likes to refer to as "col de sac kids." Here is an example of the mindset that many of us encounter...I used to go to William and Mary and I had hallmates who were at first genuinely disturbed because i carried a pocketknife. For those of us who have been carrying a pocketknife since our fathers or grandfathers gave us one at a young age its a ridiculous notion that people might be disturbed that we keep a "weapon" on us at all times. Sadly, this is the mindsets that many of us encounter in our everyday lives. They simply don't know anything about firearms (or simple tools such as knives for that matter) or the people that use them responsibly as tools. All they know are that police supposedly protect them with them and that the only civilians that carry them are intent on taking advantage of the general public, and thus any civilian that carries them must have bad intentions.
    It is my hope that the current wave of civilians that turn to concealed carry will be able to impact people in their early years before they have formed their opinion on this emotionally charged issue. It has been my experience that the issue is far too emotionally dependent for those that have no experience with firearms to make rational conversation concerning the idea of personal carry (be it open or concealed). As a result, open conversation tends to stir up a lot of opposition that stems from fear and ignorance (two very powerful factors i'm afraid). Thus I feel that since there is so much emotion involved in this issue that the general population will need to ease into the idea and be gently exposed to the lifestyle.
    I am, however, very open to everyone else's ideas on the subject as i debate it often with myself often.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalstate View Post
    Very good points on all postings... Nothing to disagree with here.. and not too much to add either.

Not sure how others feel on a somewhat different note... I know when I forget my cell phone, part of me is still at home... the same with my firearm.
    Most times I will actually turn around and return for those items..
    NaturalState,
    Last Sunday I realized once I got to church that I forgot my pen, my cell phone, AND my S & W extremeops knife.....i haven't felt that naked in a long time! Needless to say I got home, walked in the door, and picked up those items like they were my long lost children....
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

VIP Member
    I've taken a different stance from most for a long time. I openly discuss with people (that I know, not strangers) about owning and carrying a gun. I can't carry in my workplace (by policy, not by law), so no one there gets to see it or asks to see it.

I thought long and hard before I decided to talk about it. One of my primary deciding factors was the main point of the OP: how can I spread the word and make people think about their own safety without having an open discussion?

Being open like this has allowed me to talk someone through their first handgun purchase, find some shooting buddies, get a co-worker who was afraid of guns to go to a gunshow and actually touch a gun (OK, it was a NAA mini, but still...) and have some really good conversations during down time at work. I'm still working on getting that co-worker to go shooting with me, but am making progress.

Yes, it's a choice to tell or not. Yes, there are reasons for both. I looked at my position and decided I would be the person to promote gun ownership without being cryptic about if I carry myself or not.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links