What if you go crazy?!?!?!? - Page 2

What if you go crazy?!?!?!?

This is a discussion on What if you go crazy?!?!?!? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Remember the Deputy Sheriff in ?Wisconsin that went bonkers and shot 6 people that he went to high school with, including his GF?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Remember the Deputy Sheriff in ?Wisconsin that went bonkers and shot 6 people that he went to high school with, including his GF?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

There now

It's not so bad, cool pills, pretty colors, it has it's good day's
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    My wife and I were having a discussion about carrying firearms, and she asked: "What if you go crazy?"
    The thing is, when someone goes off the deep end, there is nothing stopping them from driving a fuel truck into a school, putting poison in your drink, putting axe between your shoulder blades. Not having a firearm is no magic protection.

On the other hand, most of us could not stop a 260lb guy on crack with a 8" kitchen knife from hacking us apart without the aid of an equalizer.

People need to consider the whole equalization when the look at firearms. Yes, they can be abused (as can be cars, and kitchen knives). But on the other hand, it gives your grandmother the ability to protect herself and her grand children against those stronger than her.

Personally, I don't want to live in a world where the weak must fear the strong.

-john

Administrator
    As long as you are still wondering if you are crazy or not - you're not.

It's when you KNOW you're NOT crazy that you are.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You aint crazy until the Doctor says you're crazy...
    They once said that homosexuality was a metal disorder, and now it's not considered one... so what do doctors really know?

50 years ago, playful children where considered energetic and now they pump them full of drugs to subdue them, even the pets are getting the same treatment... may be one day they will consider people who hunt etc to be mentally incompetent and claim their rights to should be taken away, it's "abnormal" behavior that is a danger to the public...
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

The voices tell me to not to worry, be happy!

Seriously, the responsability of carrying keeps most of us watching ourselves and others around us. It is good that stress management is taught in some academies now.

My wife, who isn't anti but not 'pro guns for all' either, will come up with some off the cuff statement or question from time to time and I take that opportunity
    to explain the truth in a perspective she'll comprehend. She's a work in progress.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I think it's a legitimate question. I have a history of mental illness in my family, but neither I nor my brother have exhibited any symptoms. My plan is to respect the opinions of close family. If they ever say I'm not fit to own a gun, I'll respect that. Even my anti relatives don't say that now - they just think it's dumb, not crazy.

Senior Moderator
    They once said that homosexuality was a mental disorder, and now it's not considered one... so what do doctors really know?
    My doctor still says that. At least he has a clue.

50 years ago, playful children where considered energetic and now they pump them full of drugs to subdue them, even the pets are getting the same treatment... may be one day they will consider people who hunt etc to be mentally incompetent and claim their rights to should be taken away, it's "abnormal" behavior that is a danger to the public...
    Anything is possible.

Ever try to figure out the rational that a liberal uses?
    That is as crazy as it gets.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me. Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me. Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me. Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me. Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me. Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me. Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me. Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me. Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me. Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    If I started going crazy or loopy (or loopier than I already am ) I would expect that JD would make an executive decision about my mental state and, for my own good and the good of others, make a ruling on what I should and should not do (drive, be alone, manage finances, etc.).
    JD, make a ruling and tell Lima what she can and can not do :)

Be sure and duck real quick.

Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

If I go crazy, I'll probably go for my chainsaw or axe and not my guns. :P

I do not suffer from mental illness!

I enjoy every minute of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Just keep taking your meds, you'll be OK.
    Thats what my Doc keeps telling me. Seems to work so far I have not let any of the voices have the final say
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member
    Ya know, I don't think my boss has a sense of humor at all... I mean, I called him this morning and said I wouldn't be in. He asked if I was sick. I said "no, but the voices in my head said to stay home and clean the guns". There was a very long silence on the other end of the line!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Good question

LEO and or civilians are not immune to mental illness, and as civilians we must trust our family members to point out problems. As LEOís we not only have our family but we also have supervisors, and partners to assist.

Temporary:

There are things that can trigger it temporary delusions of grander, anger, and depression that can lead to even suicide. Beside stress, something as simple as drinking to much alcohol, or even mixing alcohol with over the counter drugs like Tylenol, can lead a person to make poor decisions.

Long term problem:

Of more concern to me of a far more serious nature is that there are drugs readily prescribed by physicians that if taken for a short period of time can help ones mental state.

However, taken over a few years, can cause a person to go into a state of bi-polar or even mantic depression.

Once such drug Iíve listed is even prescribed to children

Federal FDA warning

FLUOXETINE - ORAL
    Pronunciation: (flew-OX-eh-teen)
    BRAND NAME(S):
    Prozac, Sarafem

Black Box Antidepressant Warning
    The FDA announced Friday that all antidepressant drugs must now carry so-called "black-box" warnings, alerting doctors and consumers that the antidepressants increase suicidal behavior in children with depression and that the risk of using antidepressants must be carefully balanced with the need.
    "In other words, these drugs should not be used casually," says Sandra Kweeder, MD, the acting director of FDA's Office of New Drugs. The box also carries warnings that patients who use antidepressants must be closely monitored for "clinical worsening, suicidality, or unusual changes in behavior."
    The black box is the strongest warning the FDA can place on drugs. Manufacturers must include the box in any print advertisements for their antidepressant drugs, and radio and TV ads must include information read from the box.
    The problem is more than 28 million people have taken Prozac and other related antidepressant drugs such as Zoloft, Paxil, and Luvox, which are thought to increase levels of serotonin, a chemical messenger in the body associated with mood, among other things.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links