What if you go crazy?!?!?!?

This is a discussion on What if you go crazy?!?!?!? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I were having a discussion about carrying firearms, and she asked: "What if you go crazy?" I said: "The police, like your ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What if you go crazy?!?!?!?

My wife and I were having a discussion about carrying firearms, and she asked: "What if you go crazy?" I said: "The police, like your father, who carry guns most of their lives... what if they go crazy?"

It started to sink in, I think. That a badge does not automatically insure mental health for the rest of your life. And not having a badge does not increase your risk of going crazy.

(With apologies in advance to our officers and ex officers in here).
    Last edited by cl00bie; June 10th, 2008 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Typo
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    That's why it's important to have people around you who know you well enough and who you trust to make good decisions on your behalf.

If I started going crazy or loopy (or loopier than I already am ) I would expect that JD would make an executive decision about my mental state and, for my own good and the good of others, make a ruling on what I should and should not do (drive, be alone, manage finances, etc.).

I will have to agree with lima. If you are surrounded by people who care about you, they will notice when something is not right and let you know.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Hide the safe keys! Then you'd have a seriously ticked off AND crazy person.

Yeah, I'm not too sure of too many spontaneous craziness cases. Unless someone stole all your guns. I think we'd all go crazy. Seriously crazy....
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    This is one of the reasons guns and alcohol don't mix...

In general, being a responsible gun owner and carry-person is all one needs to think about.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

VIP Member
    funny you posted this today....

today in the academy, we spent the WHOLE day talking about stress management
    this included what stress does to the body, how as officers we need to react to stressful situations, methods of dealing with stress on the job, etc, how to recognize the signs of someone with stress disorders, alcohol/drug problems, etc
    we went over how officers can take the alcohol/drug route to deal with problems and how we all have to keep tabs on our fellow officers if we see the signs of problems and how to utilize our departmental peer counselors and to report any officers showing signs
    this is all an effort to help prevent an officer's problems from going any further, just because someone is a LEO doesn't mean they don't have difficulty dealing with stress, family problems, depression, job problems, etc
    non-LEO should do the same thing....watch for the warning signs and get people to talk about it, GET THEM HELP as early as possible

they are really pushing this now, we were told today that the average number of years a retired LEO uses their pension is 5 years....thats either due to stress related health issued killing them or committing suicide, LEO have the highest rate of suicide per-profession, LEO are 4 times as likely to take their own life than be killed by a criminal in the line of duty (based on the stats for both)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I will let you know, when i get back in my Mind.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

......you mean my paranoid schizophrenia means I am not supposed to be carrying this rocket launcher and 6 pistols................. someone really shoulda told me!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I thought it was a well established fact that just BEING AROUND A GUN was enough to make most of us just go stark raving mad!!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    ......you mean my paranoid schizophrenia means I am not supposed to be carrying this rocket launcher and 6 pistols................. someone really shoulda told me!

Just keep taking your meds, you'll be OK.

This forum and range practice are what keep me on the top side of the cliff. If I go over the edge, I'll do it alone.

(hey--I'm just kidding okay?) I've been asked alot in my line of work (licensed electrician) if I am certified. More than likely, I'll reply--"yes--three out of five doctors recommend me". LOL

VIP Member
    9 out of the 10 voices in my head told me to stay home and clean my weapons
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Moderator
    You aint crazy until the Doctor says you're crazy...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

You're talking about me, right?!

It's those voices again.....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Go crazy?

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links