CHL character references

CHL character references

This is a discussion on CHL character references within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my girlfriend decided to get a CHL. Hooray! The form here requires you to list two character references. It's unclear whether I can be ...

Thread: CHL character references

CHL character references

So my girlfriend decided to get a CHL. Hooray!

The form here requires you to list two character references. It's unclear whether I can be one - since I'm the boyfriend - waiting to hear back from them on that.

However, basically all of our friends are anti-gun. I'm not looking forward to asking around to see who'll vouch for her, because I just know that every time she goes out they'll grill her about whether she's packing.

Has anyone dealt with this before? It seems silly but it's turned into a significant obstacle.

Portland Oregon is a pretty liberal city, so there is significant shock to people if they hear you even own a gun, much less have one in your pocket/groin/armpit/however you carry.

If they are anything like NH they don't check. Why would you ask the issuing authority if you can be a character reference? How would they know what your relationship is and what does it matter anyhow? This isn't like doing a straw purchase for a convicted felon, you are simply vouching for her character.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

First I've heard of character references for concealed carry. Perhaps they do not divulge the nature of reference (ie job hunting, etc).

As a non family member you are certainly a viable character witness.

Doctor, priest, teacher..

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Hey I'll vouch for her........she can't be to bad if she wants to carry.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Usually it's just family that couldn't/shouldn't be a reference. I would never have asked them If I could or not. I don't believe that they ever call your references here in MI, at least I've never heard of it. What I did though, was to use 2 other CPL holders. I certainly wouldn't use anyone with a criminal record. Maybe not disqualifying, but I figured that if they checked and saw I was hanging out with criminals, they'd look at everything real hard and just take longer. By using folks that have been shown to already be good citizens, I hoped to speed up or at least not delay the process. Don't know if it did any good, but it only took like 10 business days to get it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Thanks everyone. They tell me that she can use me as a reference, and that they typically don't call references. Hope to get it in ASAP.

I think this may be a requirement in some may issue states.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Senior Moderator
    First I've heard of that.

So if they call me for a reference and I say "that blankety blank is the sorryiest piece of humanity to ever walk and he is as psycho as the day is long"...

they deny your permit?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I think I can say that the Multnomah County Sheriff doesn't call references and I don't see any reason for you to exclude yourself.

ETA: I guess you just found that out.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    First I've heard of that.

So if they call me for a reference and I say "that blankety blank is the sorryiest piece of humanity to ever walk and he is as psycho as the day is long"...

they deny your permit?
    They do a background check on you and if it looks weird they call references. I think that if you have crimes or mental illness in your background they want to use the references to find out what's really going on.

I suspect that if you commit a crime and they want to find you they'll also go straight to those references.

But - yes - if they call a reference and the reference says that you're dangerous, they'll think twice.

They also do an in-person interview with a detective.

In Texas I have never heard of this. And I would say that since you two are not married as yet, yes you could be able to vouch for her. But beyond that you two may want to consider getting some more friends... some of like mind!
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    First I've heard of character references for concealed carry. Perhaps they do not divulge the nature of reference (ie job hunting, etc)
    In NY, we need 4 just to be allowed to hold a pistol, and permission from a county judge for concealed carry.

Interesting thing, since my wife is going for a "restricted" permit, she has asked her friends for references, and when questioned, she said: "In case something happens to Tony, I'll be able to keep his guns". (In NY, if I die and she doesn't have her own pistol permit, she has 15 days to find a permit holder, and if not she has to turn the guns in to the Sheriff. After a year, the Sheriff will most likely dispose of them.)

Now, if she decides to try and get her permit "upgraded", her letter to the judge is private.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    I think this may be a requirement in some may issue states.

Yep, in Oregon, there's no barring of family references. I was on Holly's, and and she was on mine. Our roommate was the other...

Glad she wants to carry! She will stand taller. We do!
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    In NY, we need 4 just to be allowed to hold a pistol, and permission from a county judge for concealed carry.

Interesting thing, since my wife is going for a "restricted" permit, she has asked her friends for references, and when questioned, she said: "In case something happens to Tony, I'll be able to keep his guns". (In NY, if I die and she doesn't have her own pistol permit, she has 15 days to find a permit holder, and if not she has to turn the guns in to the Sheriff. After a year, the Sheriff will most likely dispose of them.)

Now, if she decides to try and get her permit "upgraded", her letter to the judge is private.
    That's another reason for me not to visit New York, not that I ever have wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    That's another reason for me not to visit New York, not that I ever have wanted to.
    Well, an interesting side effect is that so few people concealed carry unrestricted, that hardly anyplace has any signs forbidding firearms on the premises. .
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Links