Post surgical carry

This is a discussion on Post surgical carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last thursday I had my gallbladder removed. The surgery itself was a nonevent and I'm recovering quite rapidly (I was back at the office yesterday). ...

Thread: Post surgical carry

Post surgical carry

Last thursday I had my gallbladder removed. The surgery itself was a nonevent and I'm recovering quite rapidly (I was back at the office yesterday). However, for a few days, I couldn't wear anything that was tight on my waistline since that would put pressure on one of my incisions. I was left wearing loose fitting sweatpants (tied loosely at that). No belt, no sturdy pockets, no shoulder holster (that would've rubbed me wrong anyway). The only way I could carry was to drop my P32 (in pocket holster) into the large breast pocket of the flannel shirt I wore most of the time.

Maybe you're asking why I was preoccupied with guns when I should've been busy recovering? Well, if there's ever been a time when I needed an equalizer, this was it. After having 4 holes punched through my belly and an organ removed, I wasn't feeling too tough. Sure, I was up and mobile that same day (even hit the local gunshops the next morning), but with my abs in their weaked state, I wasn't going to do much in the way of resisting any attack. Heck, I had a hard time getting in and out of bed, in and out of chairs, etc. I had my knife, but I didn't have the mobility to use it either.

A few months ago, I contemplated selling the P32 and replacing it with one of the lightweight j-frame revolvers with the idea that I didn't need something that small. A lightweight j-frame would fit in pants pockets, that's all I need, right? It wouldn't have worked this time. I'm glad I kept the little peashooter.

Kinda puts the value of a mousegun into perspective for me. Those folks who insist they carry their fullsized guns 24/7 might be in for a shock should they find themselves in this position.

I'm back in street clothes now (and gun on hip), but I still wouldn't want to wrestle with anything larger than my imagination. I go to the doc's tomorrow to see if I'm healed enough to at least pick my daughter up.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; November 2nd, 2005 at 04:41 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Glad to hear your All right ... Ya have to do what ya have to do with carry that for sure if i had surgry not sure what i would carry my 38 lightweight i guess

Assistant Administrator
    Hey Chris - wow, hadn't thought of you being old enough for that proceedure yet awhile!! Glad it went Ok and certainly it seems, made for some rethink of carry - guess it would me too.

Probably breast pocket is one very useful option as you mentioned. I guess other main possible would be a small sho rig - I have one I was given way back that will nicely take a small revo. Thought of ankle too but that would require bending down too far for comfort I suspect.

Keep a good state of yellow - as we all should anyways - if ya can't run as quick then at least see any trouble coming that bit quicker. Take care.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks folks.

P95, gallbladder problems run in my family. My mom, younger brother, and all three surviving grandparents have had theirs removed. My dad and one cousin are "showing symptoms". On top of that, I went on a diet earlier this year and lost 30lbs. Losing a large amount of weight can damage an otherwise healthy gallbladder. If not for the weight loss, I probably would've gone a few more years before needing the surgery, but the weight loss kicked it over the edge, so to speak.

Yeah, an ankle holster wouldn't have worked either. By the time I got to the point where I could quickly bend over and grab something like a gun, I could wear regular clothes. Heck, for the first couple days, my wife was helping me with my shoes. :)

The small shoulder rig might've worked, but I don't own one. Buying one for what was only a few days seems a waste (though, if I owned one, I'd probably use it more often). That said, if this were a more permanent condition, a shoulder holster would be a fine solution.

Chris

Lead Moderator
    duct tape the carry anywhere universal holster. Hurts taking it off at the end of the day though.

Administrator

ANKLE Holster

Lightweight Firearm in an ankle rig...I hate them but, that would be about your best bet.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Like I said above, the motions required to get a gun out of an ankle holster were tough for a few days. Heck, I had my wife putting my shoes on for me the first couple days. By the time I got where I could comfortably get to my ankles, I could wear regular pants again.

Chris

Chris: I had some health problems two years ago, ended up barely able to walk with a cane -- and carried a Beretta 25 acp in the pocket of my flannel shirt. Like you did, it was really the only thing I could come up with. While a 25 sure isn't much, I could have at least had it running quickly since I carried it in the pocket where I usually had my cigarettes. Many years of practice reaching for that pocket!
    Anyway, being in bad shape made me do a lot of thinking about carry options. I hope you recover quickly and get back to feeling good. I'm now not smoking, walking fine, and back to my 45 acp for primary carry gun (though I did sell the Beretta and get a 32 ACP -- and I still do carry it in my pocket).
    David

Talking

vests! wear vests!

No, not the "shoot-me" safari/photographer vest that everybody says everybody knows means GUN.

There are a number of vest-makers out in cyber-retail land that offer concealed carry options you might never have considered before. A quick google under concealed carry vest will get you going.

:tuschel: I've worn vests for longer that I've carried, but that just helps keep the everyday people from figuring out that now I'm also wearing the vest because it's a good place to stash my carry piece. Quick-release snaps, pockets with holster or elastic webbing, extra pockets for speedloaders or magazines, flashlights, and a few spare snacks, all in one easy to carry everywhere without worrying about printing or accidentally revealing my carry piece.

stay safe.

skidmark

In that situation I beleive a Belly Band holster worn around the chest placing the pistol under your left arm with a button down shirt over it would do the trick.

Links