Trip to a non-gun friendly state - Page 2

Trip to a non-gun friendly state

This is a discussion on Trip to a non-gun friendly state within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The same things I do now. Situational awareness, and staying away from the bad parts of town. Not that it can't happen anywhere, but i'll ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trip to a non-gun friendly state

The same things I do now. Situational awareness, and staying away from the bad parts of town. Not that it can't happen anywhere, but i'll stick to the places with the lesser chance of happenings.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

There you go!

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Prayer may work, not much else does in the PRM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpeak View Post
    That's probably against the law there, as well

Cloudpeak
    Sorry, my bad. You are right, prayer is not allowed in the PRM!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    The same things I do now. Situational awareness, and staying away from the bad parts of town. Not that it can't happen anywhere, but i'll stick to the places with the lesser chance of happenings.
    Although I agree with the premise, bad things happen to good people anywhere/everywhere!

I used to work in Boston and I did my undergrad and graduate schools there. I saw lots of bad stuff in so-called good (tourist) areas.

All you can legally do is to keep your wits about you and operate in "orange" mode while in Boston.

Slightly off topic, my wife and I live in Indiana. We have family in Florida, Illinois, Maryland, and Wisconsin. All but FL are the worst possible states when it comes to CC. My wife would like to be closer to family but I don't want to live in such a restrictive state.

When we visit I take my Benchmade folder and practice the same situational awareness as if I were armed.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I feel for you. And don't give in to the communist states.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Prayer may work, not much else does in the PRM.

I doubt that even a tiny knife is legal on a college campus, but I have no expertise in knife laws for MA. I also doubt that you'd have any problems carrying a knife as long as it wasn't visible on campus.

I also don't think that the Boston knife laws apply to anyone but inmates of the City of Boston, thus visitors aren't effected by them. I know this to be true of the Boston anti-gun laws, so I suspect the same for the anti-knife laws, but lack the expertise to say for certain.
    Negative. The Boston city ordinance on knifes apply to everyone in the city's limits, not just citizens.

I'm not sure of which anti-gun laws to which you've referred, since they're so many. But the reason Boston's gun laws apply only to Boston residents is because the CLEO at 1 Schroeder Pl issues all of Boston's carry licenses and FOID cards. She has the final say as to how the licensees may carry and what guns may be owned.

If you are referring to the city of Boston's MG ordinance, once again, you are mistaken. A violation of the MG ordinance would also be a violation of GCA 1998, which is a state law with felony consequences.

Jackie1886, leave your guns at home if your flying into Logan or staying for any length of time in Boston without a LTC. Boston PD will give you very rough treatment if your caught with a gun without a license.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Where is the church conference being held? Are you sure it's in Boston? Many places that are believed to be Boston aren't, and instead are a part of a nearby but completely separate municipality.

You may be able to carry your knife after all. How long is the blade? Does it have any automatic mechanisms that act on the blade?
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I didn't know that Boston had their own mg rules . . . but it figures. I'll bet that not one green card has been issued in Boston to other than an active duty PO in the last 40 years!

I don't worry about Mumbles' rules. I don't live in the City and when I go there I just follow state laws and don't worry about the small stuff.

As for Boston . . . there are a lot of "communities" that ARE part of Boston and many from elsewhere are clueless that they are indeed part of Boston! My Wife frequently gets on my case for not knowing where the "boundaries" are from one "community" of Boston vs. the next. She is a Boston native and I'm a suburban guy so I don't have a need to know!

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    Take some martial arts lessons...
    This is a very good approach. I'd take it one step further and suggest Krav Maga if you have a local options. In just a few lessons you'll have the capability to defend yourselves close-in and quickly much more readily (and with less hassles) that drawing anyway. Unlike most martial arts disciplines, Krav Maga trains the practioner to use instincts and short, deadly strikes to neutralize attackers. The beauty of Krav Maga is that you're actually trained to fight exhausted and in disorienting circumstances (lights flickering, loud music, attacked while your eyes are closed) which is definitely more "real life" than most of us will ever get shooting at a static range unless you're lucky enough to have a range that allows dynamic fire. You'll also get in shape very quickly - all my pants and IWB's fit much better now...

I've been taking Krav Maga for a couple months and no longer feel unarmed when I'm not carrying. More importantly, my wife, who not only doesn't want to carry but works in the People's Republic of Maryland so she can't, has been taking it as well, so I don't worry about her so much. Anyone who attacks her (and statiscally, most attacks come from behind with bear hug or from the front with a choke) will be in a world of hurt.

Yep, learn a good, effective martial art - that way you can take your weaons with you wherever you go without having to register them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links