Had a pistol pointed at me today . . .

This is a discussion on Had a pistol pointed at me today . . . within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by inman Years ago in upstate New York, I went into the sporting goods section of a store to look at a Desert ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Had a pistol pointed at me today . . .

Quote Originally Posted by inman View Post
    Years ago in upstate New York, I went into the sporting goods section of a store to look at a Desert Eagle, and saw the young man behind the counter playing and fumbling around with the stock. He looked to not have a clue of what he was doing. I knew that I was in for some fun with this kid. I asked to see the Desert Eagle. He asked to see my permit. Showed him my Deputy Sheriff badge, and asked him if I could see his permit(knew he was too young for one). When he stated that he was not of age yet to get a permit, I instructed him to lock up the cases and get out from behind the counter, since he was not allowed to work in this section unless eligible for a permit. He locked the cases, and then called the store owner to the area, and explained what I had said. The owner seemed confused, and I told him that if I had been with ATF, I could have shut him down. I also explained that the way this kid was playing with the stock, that it was a good chance that someone was going to get hurt someday. He fixed the problem.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Scrvoy View Post
    I was at the local gun shop/pistol range a few weeks back
    I have regretted keeping quiet until now.
    You think you regret it now? Just wait till that guy actually shoots somebody and you know that you could have done something .

(hint, hint)
    Heisenberg may have slept here

Sometimes when evaluating a gun there is little room to maneuver it around safely. It would be nice if they had a "range lane" or something that you had to use if you wanted to handle a weapon.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Sometimes when evaluating a gun there is little room to maneuver it around safely. It would be nice if they had a "range lane" or something that you had to use if you wanted to handle a weapon.
    I can always find a clear area to check grip how it points and even trigger pull if they allow me to dry fire the weapon without ever sweeping anybody,up is a good spot until people learn to fly,There is no good excuse to sweep somebody,unless they are a threat and you are defending yourself
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

When looking at guns I usually just get a good firing grip on the weapon and point it at the floor in a direction away from others.

Next time someone sweeps you, ask them if they would mind having that same gun held to their head. They may think it's a bit more serious when it is their head the gun is pointed at.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    I think there is an obligation, as a responsible gun owner, to say something in these instances. Stupid accidents caused by irresponsible handling are commonly cited by the anti-gun crowd to show how "dangerous" guns are.
    Guns are dangerous. Isn't that why we carry them? But then again, a chainsaw and a car are dangerous also.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I've had a clear lane to point the hand gun, and had people see what I intended to do and step right in line, grinning like they were doing something special.

I'll go with the "special" part.

Another time I told someone he should watch the rifle muzzle. He did. The muzzle, not where it was pointed and that was straight at one of his buddies.

If birds of a feather... then this is a potential gene pool cleansing.

Sheesh. Some people.

Why would it be SO DIFFICULT for the clerk to simply say, "I know I just checked it but be careful to not point the gun at anybody just to be extra safe, OK?"?

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    Guns are dangerous. Isn't that why we carry them? But then again, a chainsaw and a car are dangerous also.
    I think you missed the whole point.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I can always find a clear area to check grip how it points and even trigger pull if they allow me to dry fire the weapon without ever sweeping anybody,up is a good spot until people learn to fly,There is no good excuse to sweep somebody,unless they are a threat and you are defending yourself
    Our showcases here are crowded and you are elbow to elbow and there is someone across the case and sometimes there are people above. (i.e., Cabelas multi story) I have always had to work to find a way to "naturally" hold the weapon while checking the grip, function etcetera but I have done so. It was merely a thought so the seller can to give the less cautious gun buyer a better option..
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Has anyone ever noticed that this happens at gun stores, gun shows, and on the range too. And it is usually someone who knows everything there is to know about weapons, then they usually look right down the barrel with there finger on the triggers.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

I have , uh, told someone really bad about it and the barrel of an AR kept pointing at my head...... and he never checked it was clear... that if he did it one more time I was taking the thing away from him.

His response... "oh, was I doing that ? ".

UGH.

Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    I think there is an obligation, as a responsible gun owner, to say something in these instances. Stupid accidents caused by irresponsible handling are commonly cited by the anti-gun crowd to show how "dangerous" guns are.
    Yep
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I think many people, for whatever reason, assume that shops and shows are magical safety zones.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

That's never happened to me, but you can be sure that I would go into alert and certainly say something to the manager, and especially the offender, in a polite manner, of course.

Maybe stores should post the Four Rules at the counter for everyone to see. It might work!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links