Had a pistol pointed at me today . . .

This is a discussion on Had a pistol pointed at me today . . . within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lots of people handle those guns. About 20 years ago I was in a big store that also sold guns, don't remember the name. I ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Had a pistol pointed at me today . . .

Lots of people handle those guns. About 20 years ago I was in a big store that also sold guns, don't remember the name. I asked to look at a bolt action rifle and the guy handed it to me. I opened the bolt to check it and a live round popped out! That was my big lesson to never trust anyone when they say, "it's unloaded." One time in a thousand and someone could get hurt. For avid shooters, those 1,000 times run through pretty quick. The calculated probability sneaks up before you know it.
    If only the militia can be armed, will the government pick the loyalists or the patriots?

Was it our Founding Fathers intent to let someone like King George pick who can be a militia?

2. Remove Ads

I think you will find most of us here completely understand how you feel and we feel the same way.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    And I did yesterday...at the range in Bob's in Norfolk. The range was full (only 6 or 8 lanes) and I see this kid come in with his buddy. You could tell the buddy was a new shooter, he actually seemed nervous. I'm in lane 2 and the kids go to the far lane. I turn around to get another target from the hangers behind me and I look down the line and see kid #1 holding his gun, stepped back from the line with the muzzle pointed right down the line!! "Teaching" his buddy about the gun. So I yelled at him to point his damn guy at me! At least he qucikly realized the error of his was and pointed downrange. I'm sure I embarrased the crap out of him but hopefully it will stick in his head better. I could hear the guys in lane next to me laughing about how I called the kid out. I decided to pack up and leave, and let the guy at the counter know that he needed to keep an eye on the last lane. When I told him why he went right in...I was leaving but I wouldn't be surprised if he threw them out.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

I live a few exits away .... I'll don a vest and a ballistic helmet B4 going in ...

Quote Originally Posted by bal_g23 View Post
    because of your location im assuming you were at the cabelas in lacey?
    haha just so happens I was there last weekend when the same thing happened to me
    standing there looking at pistols when a girl with a bersa .380 swept me and the guy behind the counter with the muzzle multiple times. Then she asked what all the buttons did pointing to indicate the magazine release. I decided to go check out the holsters in the opposite direction. Unloaded or not, always treat it as if it is loaded.

I got y'all beat. I was in a toy store and was cringing and shuddering like a fool seeing the kids "shoot" at each other with toy cap-guns!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tamworth View Post
    I got y'all beat. I was in a toy store and was cringing and shuddering like a fool seeing the kids "shoot" at each other with toy cap-guns!
    I'm not sure why this is "shuddering" inducing.

I can't tell you how many times I have "shot" or been "shot" by a toy cap/squirt/bb/pellet/whatever gun growing up with my brother/sisters/cousins/friends. We used to put on western plays for our parents where we'd run around shooting each other. My brother used to tease my sister because she couldn't make a realistic gun noise when she would "shoot" someone.

We would even try to imitate the sounds of reloading we got so into it.

Toys are toys. They aren't real and kids can and DO know the difference between the two.

I look forward to the day when I can teach this little wiggle worm about the difference and have often dreamed about the pictures we will get of our little one with his (or her) little plastic holsters and cheap cap guns, running around in a red cap pretending he is saving the world.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    That was the crime of "assault with a deadly weapon". An assault only requires the "apprehension" of an immediate battery, not an actual attack. It was sufficient if he made you flinch by using a gun, even one you had reason to believe was unloaded. That was a felony in most states.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    That was the crime of "assault with a deadly weapon". An assault only requires the "apprehension" of an immediate battery, not an actual attack. It was sufficient if he made you flinch by using a gun, even one you had reason to believe was unloaded. That was a felony in most states.
    I realized that at the time, but rather than escalate the situation, decided voicing my displeasure at being "swept" was enough. I may speak to the manager at Cabela's (yah, it's the Lacey store), just to ask him to have his gun counter employees be more proactive.

What I did't post at first was that immediately after this, the counter guy asked if I was a detective (I get it all the time). I suppose if I had cited RCW 9.41.230 -- aiming a firearm, loaded or not, at another person (gross misdemeanor), he wouldn't have believed me when I said I wasn't LEO.

Thanks for all the feedback and acknowledgement that my response was reasonable. I shared this with some others, and got the "you're over-reacting" sentiment.

Be safe.

Here's one for ya. Maybe about 12 years ago I was working for an armored car company. I go into the bank In NYC none the less w/ my partner. We strike up a conv with the teller while we are waiting for the money. So I started to tease the teller a little when all the sudden my partner pulls his 357 snubbie out of his holster and points it at my head with a 2 finger grip and says to her "Here wanna use this on him?". I reported his ass after I almost kicked it, needless to say he lost his job and his license. I am no snitch but he was a real dumb *******.
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by tamworth View Post
    Reminds me of a story I have told here before about how pleased anti lady is upon hearing a dad tell his daughter that she can not have a toy squirt gun because "Guns are not toys, Guns are fro killing people". Until dad agrees with his daughter when she responds "Yes daddy I know and when I am ten you are going to teach me how to use one properly" The look on her puss was priceless.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    Some enthusiasts need a safety refresher!

So I went to Cabela's this afternoon, thinking it was time for a new toy. I had been looking at Kahr pistols for those times when deep concealment is the only option. I was carrying my Officer's .45 as I normally do away from work.

I went with the PM40 -- such a nice little package for a hideaway. Anyway, as I'm standing at the cashier, a young guy about eight feet to my right asks to see a Ruger. The counter guy pulls it out, checks that it is clear, and then slams the slide home before handing it to the customer.

The customer grabs the pistol and sweeps the muzzle past the counter guy's abdomen. I flinch a bit, and am now moving toward condition orange. The guy starts playing with the pistol a bit, not really being careful where the muzzle is pointed -- I notice that it is pointed directly at the cashier. Everybody else seems oblivious to this fact.

Next, the customer actually looks down the muzzle and nobody says anything to him! Then he sweeps it across me -- not once, but twice. Now I am definitely condition orange! The second time, the counter guy notices me moving backward from the line of fire, and I tell him, "I don't appreciate being swept by a muzzle, whether I know the gun is loaded or not." He tells the customer that he is making me nervous, and takes the gun from him. As the guy leaves, he apologizes, but it doesn't seem to really affect him much.

Maybe this is why some states require a safety course for a CPL?

The cashier told me, "It's a good thing you're not my friend. He would have drawn on the guy." Not me, but I'd like to give him just a little shot of pepper spray -- just to get his attention!

Sorry for the rant . . . anyway, yeah, I've got a new toy.

condition "orange"???.....now that is funny!!!!!

If you're not familiar with "Principles of Self Defense"

Orange - Specific alert. Something is not quite right and has gotten your attention. Your radar has picked up a specific alert. You shift your primary focus to determine if there is a threat (but you do not drop your six). Your mindset shifts to "I may have to shoot HIM today." In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that goblin does "x", I will need to stop him." Your pistol usually remains holstered in this state. Staying in Orange can be a bit of a mental strain, but you can stay in it for as long as you need to. If the threat proves to be nothing, you shift back to Condition Yellow.

Source: Col. Jeff Cooper, Principles of Self Defense

about a year and a half ago, I was at a local (informal) outdoor range. I was shooting alone in one of the shooting lanes when some other people showed up and asked if they could shoot with me.

Long story short, the boyfriend/husband gave the girlfriend/wife some basic instructions on shooting the 9mm semi auto, then went over to deal with one of the kids and a 4-wheeler.

After 3 shots and being swept 3 times, I approached her and requested she not point the gun at me again. After 3 more shots she swept me again. I again asked her not to sweep me and her husband came over and reinforced my request. After 3 more shots, she was actively waving the gun in my direction.

I yelled at her to "put the gun down" as I pointed my gun at her, finger indexed outside the trigger guard. She immediately, set the gun on the ground, backed away from it and started screaming for her husband. I pivoted towards him (without sweeping him) at the ready. He looked at me, saw the agitation in my eyes and immediately knew what had happened AGAIN.

He retrieved the weapon from the ground, unloaded it and apologized, then started giving her the what for. I began packing up to leave.

When he came over to more formally apologize, I thanked him. Then said, in all honesty she should have been taught better before being brought and allowed to handle a weapon UNSUPERVISED. She is not completely at fault here.

He reddened up when he saw the truth in my statement.

I took a defensive handgun class this past weekend. There is another "school" here in town that uses this range for the handgun carry permit classes. My group was in the "next door" range. We broke for lunch about the time they were practicing their trigger control with dry firing...all of them at one....pointed AT THE INSTRUCTOR.
    I heard him say...YOUR FRONT SIGHT SHOULD BE ON MY NOSE

1. I actually took my ccw class from him...he did the same thing in my class
    2. He does this with EVERY class
    3. I don't know why he is still around...God must love fools.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    Some enthusiasts need a safety refresher!

So I went to Cabela's this afternoon, thinking it was time for a new toy. I had been looking at Kahr pistols for those times when deep concealment is the only option. I was carrying my Officer's .45 as I normally do away from work.

I went with the PM40 -- such a nice little package for a hideaway. Anyway, as I'm standing at the cashier, a young guy about eight feet to my right asks to see a Ruger. The counter guy pulls it out, checks that it is clear, and then slams the slide home before handing it to the customer.

The customer grabs the pistol and sweeps the muzzle past the counter guy's abdomen. I flinch a bit, and am now moving toward condition orange. The guy starts playing with the pistol a bit, not really being careful where the muzzle is pointed -- I notice that it is pointed directly at the cashier. Everybody else seems oblivious to this fact.

Next, the customer actually looks down the muzzle and nobody says anything to him! Then he sweeps it across me -- not once, but twice. Now I am definitely condition orange! The second time, the counter guy notices me moving backward from the line of fire, and I tell him, "I don't appreciate being swept by a muzzle, whether I know the gun is loaded or not." He tells the customer that he is making me nervous, and takes the gun from him. As the guy leaves, he apologizes, but it doesn't seem to really affect him much.

Maybe this is why some states require a safety course for a CPL?

The cashier told me, "It's a good thing you're not my friend. He would have drawn on the guy." Not me, but I'd like to give him just a little shot of pepper spray -- just to get his attention!

Sorry for the rant . . . anyway, yeah, I've got a new toy.
    The sheer size of the wonderful world of Cabela's means they can't patrol for every idiot. Glad you didn't have to kill the guy!

SO...let's see the new toy!!!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links