Had a pistol pointed at me today . . .

This is a discussion on Had a pistol pointed at me today . . . within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some enthusiasts need a safety refresher! So I went to Cabela's this afternoon, thinking it was time for a new toy. I had been looking ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Had a pistol pointed at me today . . .

Some enthusiasts need a safety refresher!

So I went to Cabela's this afternoon, thinking it was time for a new toy. I had been looking at Kahr pistols for those times when deep concealment is the only option. I was carrying my Officer's .45 as I normally do away from work.

I went with the PM40 -- such a nice little package for a hideaway. Anyway, as I'm standing at the cashier, a young guy about eight feet to my right asks to see a Ruger. The counter guy pulls it out, checks that it is clear, and then slams the slide home before handing it to the customer.

The customer grabs the pistol and sweeps the muzzle past the counter guy's abdomen. I flinch a bit, and am now moving toward condition orange. The guy starts playing with the pistol a bit, not really being careful where the muzzle is pointed -- I notice that it is pointed directly at the cashier. Everybody else seems oblivious to this fact.

Next, the customer actually looks down the muzzle and nobody says anything to him! Then he sweeps it across me -- not once, but twice. Now I am definitely condition orange! The second time, the counter guy notices me moving backward from the line of fire, and I tell him, "I don't appreciate being swept by a muzzle, whether I know the gun is loaded or not." He tells the customer that he is making me nervous, and takes the gun from him. As the guy leaves, he apologizes, but it doesn't seem to really affect him much.

Maybe this is why some states require a safety course for a CPL?

The cashier told me, "It's a good thing you're not my friend. He would have drawn on the guy." Not me, but I'd like to give him just a little shot of pepper spray -- just to get his attention!

Sorry for the rant . . . anyway, yeah, I've got a new toy.

I understand completely. This happens a lot a gun shops.

People like that need a good
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

because of your location im assuming you were at the cabelas in lacey?
    haha just so happens I was there last weekend when the same thing happened to me
    standing there looking at pistols when a girl with a bersa .380 swept me and the guy behind the counter with the muzzle multiple times. Then she asked what all the buttons did pointing to indicate the magazine release. I decided to go check out the holsters in the opposite direction. Unloaded or not, always treat it as if it is loaded.

I don't like being swept period unloaded guns kill people all the time, I should say unsafe handling of firearms kill people all the time.I would of said siomething,and if he said it ain't loaded i'd of said it don't matterif it's loaded or not you don't point a gun at something unless you intend to destroy it,sweep me again and I will consider it a threat
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If the guys working behind the counter would hold customers accountable to safety it would be less of a problem. It seems that they get numb to the issue. I worry some of these guys are just as careless away from the counter.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

The gun stores need to post the four NRA rules of gun safety on the counter. Sportsman's Warehouse does the same thing. They get complacent assuming the firearm is unloaded since they checked it. That is how ppl get shot accidentally. I feel like I'm break dancing at he counter trying to keep from getting swept.

I was at the local gun shop/pistol range a few weeks back waiting for the range to open. A customer came in to sell a pistol, either to the store or on consignment, I am not sure which. The salesman took the pistol, it looked like a Ruger 9mm, out of the box and was getting ready to field strip it to check itís condition for sale. The sales clerk lifted the pistol out of the box and without thinking pointed it right at the customerís abdomen and pulled the trigger! To make sure I am clear on this he DID NOT check if it was loaded or rack the slide, just pointed and pulled the trigger! If the customer had forgotten a live round in the chamber he would be dead right now.

Want to know the really scary part? I think I was the only one that noticed! Neither the customer nor the clerk ever thought anything about it. I should have said something but I was so shocked I just followed the heard into the range as it opened. I have regretted keeping quiet until now.
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

I think there is an obligation, as a responsible gun owner, to say something in these instances. Stupid accidents caused by irresponsible handling are commonly cited by the anti-gun crowd to show how "dangerous" guns are.

Senior Moderator
    Welcome to my world... daily.

Except, it's not only the customers. I have to worry about it from fellow employees as well. If I had a dime for every time I had a gun pointed at me in a day I wouldn't have to work.

Bitter sarcasm has started working very well for me, however.

When I get "swept" I say (in a rather loud, annoyed voice), "Oh, and thank you SO much for pointing that 9mm AT MY HEAD. I really appreciate it."

Or, if it's pointed at my abdomen, "Wow. It's wonderful that you are pointing a gun at my unborn child. That just makes me feel so great." (Oh, yeah, I get to pull the pregnant card!)

The customers all look aghast, the employees (or even my boss) are embarrassed but get a VERY clear understanding about my use of sarcasm and the problem ceases pretty quickly.

I've found the longer I have kept this up, people are getting a LITTLE more courteous about where the muzzle of a firearm is in relation to me.

incredible... the posts here pretty much say it all...
    please follow the 'laws' before you handle... and as it's been said, if people don't know them, then as proper holders, it is our duty to instill those 'laws' into others. some w/ sarcasm (in lima's case) and others perhaps w/ some nice and spicy spray!

Unacceptable behaviour, IMHO and it doesn't take much to learn the basic rules. As y'all know, I'm still waiting to come stateside to live, but on my last trip to the TX Panhandle, I visited a gunshop. The owner let me try out a couple of Kimbers and a S&W .357. Then another customer with whom I'd struck up a conversation, took out his Kimber and unloaded it before handing it to me. Now I'd seen him unload it, and I could see the magazine full of bullets on the counter, but just to be sure, I kept it pointing at the floor, finger along the trigger guard, and eased the slide back to visually check the chamber.

There really is no excuse for pointing a gun at someone, unloaded or not.

I had a guy get close to sweeping across me. I was at the local Gander Mountain and some guy was showing his mom an .22 pistol and then a Sigma. Everytime he picked up the Sigma he had his finger on the trigger, and olmost swept me. If I would have been looking at another case to my right he would have. I couldn't imagine working there and customers doing that all the time.

In NJ, many stores (maybe it was required) used to require that you show them your NJ Firearms ID card before they would let you handle any gun. I never saw any of that careless gun handling in NJ stores.

Also, as a courtesy to the store, whenever I ask to see a gun, be it long gun or handgun, I always remove my rings so as not to mar the stock or finish. I've had more than one store owner tell me that he appreciated that.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    Some enthusiasts need a safety refresher!

Maybe this is why some states require a safety course for a CPL?

The cashier told me, "It's a good thing you're not my friend. He would have drawn on the guy." Not me, but I'd like to give him just a little shot of pepper spray -- just to get his attention!

Sorry for the rant . . . anyway, yeah, I've got a new toy.

Not sure it would have helped, at the shooting portion of my course, the fool next to me jammed a magazine in and managed to fire his weapon at the same time. NO one was ready (earplugs etc) and we were only instructed to load the weapons...

I would have been happy to have seen him and a couple other folks that acted like it was the first time they had ever tried to fire thier weapon, sent home.....

Did not get a great feeling about the abilities of some of the folks...

Years ago in upstate New York, I went into the sporting goods section of a store to look at a Desert Eagle, and saw the young man behind the counter playing and fumbling around with the stock. He looked to not have a clue of what he was doing. I knew that I was in for some fun with this kid. I asked to see the Desert Eagle. He asked to see my permit. Showed him my Deputy Sheriff badge, and asked him if I could see his permit(knew he was too young for one). When he stated that he was not of age yet to get a permit, I instructed him to lock up the cases and get out from behind the counter, since he was not allowed to work in this section unless eligible for a permit. He locked the cases, and then called the store owner to the area, and explained what I had said. The owner seemed confused, and I told him that if I had been with ATF, I could have shut him down. I also explained that the way this kid was playing with the stock, that it was a good chance that someone was going to get hurt someday. He fixed the problem.
    I suggest that if you can find in your inner self the will to inflict violence on someone who is trying to victimize you, and can back up that iron will with all the force that you can muster, you will most likely be successful.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links