Why purse carry is not good

This is a discussion on Why purse carry is not good within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Off body 'carry' are in function fubar for the lose... Help Us Catch a Purse Snatcher We need your help in finding a man who ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why purse carry is not good

Off body 'carry' are in function fubar for the lose...

Help Us Catch a Purse Snatcher

We need your help in finding a man who assaulted a 72 year old woman as he stole her purse Tuesday morning in a North Knox County grocery store. The woman was shopping at the Food City at Emory Road and Clinton Highway at 8:36, when the suspect came up behind her and yanked her purse which was over her shoulder. She tried to resist and he pulled harder, knocking her into a display and onto the floor. She was hit by falling jars and the impact from the fall bloodied her nose, dislocated her shoulder and left her arms bruised. She was taken to St. Mary's Hospital for treatment. She is recovering at home now and does not wish to talk to the media at this time.

The suspect is described as 5'10'' to 6 feet tall, approximately 240 pounds, stocky build, and very short brown hair. The truck he fled in appears to be a blue Chevrolet pick-up with chrome steps on the side, a silver tool box in the back of the truck, silver custom rims, trailer hitch, and what appears to be an orange extension cord in the bed of the truck.

The video was taken from store surveillance. If anyone has any information on the suspect, please call the Knox County Sheriff's Office at 215-2243.

YouTube - Help Us Catch a Purse Snatcher
    watch a thief size up his victim!
    Update! The purse has been recovered, the credit card and ID was not.
    Visit: CriminalsRus.com

YouTube - Purse Snatcher / CriminalsRus.com
    Denver Woman Dragged by Purse Snatcher

This happened in Denver recently. See cw2.trb.com/news/ for full story.
    Surveillance cameras capture attempted purse snatching on March 14, 2008
    Denver police have released surveillance video of an attempted purse snatching, and are asking for the public's help to find the perpetrator.

YouTube - Denver Woman Dragged by Purse Snatcher
    Be it a purse, man bag, bookbag, backpack, briefcase, Samsonite, shopping bag...whatever and even if it does have a secret compartment.
    It's of no use to you when it's being ripped out of your hand or cut off your arm or you are being dragged along the sidewalk by it.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Labhunter View Post
    My wife has always wanted to do purse carry. After discussing my concerns about it, we compromised on an ankle holster. Now she is sold that purse carry is not good. Today in Kansas City, a woman's purse was snatched and the gun inside the purse fired.

www.kansascity.com | 06/13/2008 | One grazed as bullets whiz out of woman’s purse at KC Health Department
    I think a handgun inside anything not on the body is grounds for having it stolen easily... it just defeats the purpose of carrying IMHO, if a violent mugger snatched the purse, suitcase etc and was not satisfied but also wanted to rape the woman, she would have no weapon to defend herself with.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    My wife uses a purse designed for CCW. The gun can only be accessed from a zippered end that pretty much is a storage area in the center of the purse. She carries a S&W 642 and nothing else is in that storage area at all other than her gun.

Purse carry is not my first choice for her, I suppose it's sort of a compromise between us though. My wife is an Administrator and works in a very "safe" workplace. Her job requires her to wear business-dress clothing. I can assure you she will not wear a belly band, smartcarry, IWB, or anything else like that. Without a purse carry option she would just leave the gun in the car all the time. Don't get me wrong I'm not necessarily a purse-carry advocate, but if the person is diligent in managing their purse, I think it is a viable option for those who are responsible.

Agreed -- Holly's purse has a zippered end. Probably the same thing. On the person is preferable, would still prefer purse carry than nothing.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Some times it is way to easy for us guys to forget women have issues men don't and get down on the ladies that carry. Than wonder why your wife or girl is reluctant to carry. My wife also carries in a purse good luck sucking air if you try taking it from her. What I like about her carry purse is she can be far more ready with it than many on body carry options. She can discreetly walk with her hand on the gun if she feels the need. Like when she is walking in the hospital parking lot at night. That said it is also not her first choice but often that is her only choice. To the critics I'll happily have her stop purse carrying as soon as you are willing to accept reponcibility for her life and safety. To para phrase a commonly used phrase a gun in her purse is better than the gun left at home.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

One thing some purse grabbers were doing was cutting the purse strap as they grabbed the purse that way it had less chance of hanging up or being grabbed before they made their escape,I'd rather see a lady carry a mouse gun IWB or maybe they come out with a bra holster kinda like a smart carry but has a pocket in the cleavage area that conceals a small gun. It would be fairly accessible if you ever seen a lady catch a hot round of brass in that location they get it out pretty fast
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Freakdaddy View Post
    Troost Ave. in KC, MO
    That explains a lot. I lived near Troost 20 years ago, and it was dangerous then. I tried to avoid Troost, ESPECIALLY after dark. I have no idea what has happened to the area since, but my guess is it's still a dangerous place to be for anyone.

I understand the lady's desire to carry, legally or not, but she obviously needs to work on her carry method.

Another purse snatching which is extremely difficult to defend against in todays news, FTL...

Teacher Beaten in Purse Snatching
    A 62-year-old woman in New York is brutally attacked in front of her school.
    ABC News

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

My wife utilizes purse carry from time to time. (far too much for my liking ) but she does have a purse specially made for it with a holster that holds the gun securely in place.

I would much rather she carried on her body all the time though. It is just far, far too easy for a woman to have her purse snatched away and then not only does the scum bag have her money, credit cards, keys, and gun but the permit, all of her ID and with that comes her address.

I hate purse carry.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Back during the S&L crisis , I did some computer consulting work for the RTC. An FBI Agent was posted at each S&L to investigate possible criminal activity in connection with the S&L's failure.

At one particular S&L where I worked, the agent was female.

One hot fall day, a bunch of us, including the agent, were walking to lunch when someone in our group come right out and asked her "OK, it's hot as heck, you're not wearing your suit jacket, are you packin right now?"

She just smiled and said "How 'bout them Cowboys?". And with that, the subject was dropped.

Now the only place she could have had a gun was in her purse, which she was carrying in such a way that would have been difficult for anyone to have grabbed.

From then on, I always assumed that female agents had special carry purses. Years later, I found this to be true.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Never understood that ... unless .....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroittwister View Post
    Purse designed for CC should be no problem, or a proper holster for the weapon inside the purse should be no problem. Its sounds like there is more to this than meets the eye.
    There is. When my wife read some of this thread her comment was "how many of the experts that are so against them have ever seen a carry purse much less used one?". It is a valid question. Some of what is being said and the examples given are apples to oranges. A carry purse a quiet a different animal from typical purses and are worth the price you pay for them. They are specifically made to hold a gun. Their straps are reinforced and can't be easily cut of or broken. Some have cross shoulder straps. Also the way a woman with a carry purse holds that purse is different than the average woman walking around on white. The purses hold the gun securely and accessibility. Speed of draw is faster than a fanny pack, smart carry or any tucked IWB. From orange alert the draw is faster than open carry. Actually it is not a draw its fire from inside the purse. From yellow, with the gun pocket zipped it is slightly faster than a fanny pack and untucked IWB. The examples given of purses being snatched are like using examples of unarmed men being mugged as an examples of why concealed carry does not work. When my wife has her carry purse she does not just have the reinforced strap over her shoulder she is holding onto the strap, with her hand on the zipper pull which is alot longer than a regular zipper pull for ease of opening and is made to look like a decoration or tassel. At orange alert she can have her hand on the gun ready to fire while on a crowed city street without anyone noticing. She never just sets it down casually. She has complete access and control of it at all times. When she is at work or her destination she makes sure it is secure. Sometimes she does move the gun to another secure accessible spot. For instance she kept the gun in her desk for awhile. All that said no purse carry is not the best option IMO, it is not the worst by far either. Based on my wife's experience and my observations it is not nearly as bad as many appear to assume. Definitely not bad enough to deter a lady from carry when purse carry is their only viable option. Instead I would encourage anyone that wants to purse carry to get a a good quality carry purse
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links