Why purse carry is not good

This is a discussion on Why purse carry is not good within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has always wanted to do purse carry. After discussing my concerns about it, we compromised on an ankle holster. Now she is sold ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My wife has always wanted to do purse carry. After discussing my concerns about it, we compromised on an ankle holster. Now she is sold that purse carry is not good. Today in Kansas City, a woman's purse was snatched and the gun inside the purse fired.

www.kansascity.com | 06/13/2008 | One grazed as bullets whiz out of woman’s purse at KC Health Department

JD
    Administrator
    That makes two bad incidents due to purse carry in a matter of days.

TOF
    Your lead in is a bit misleading although probably not intended to be.

The following copied from the web link given does not indicate it to be a purse snatching as in theft.

"A gun inside a woman’s purse accidentally discharged inside the lobby of the Kansas City Health Department office this morning, grazing another woman in the thigh.

The shooting occurred about 9:25 a.m. on the first floor of the building at 2400 Troost Avenue.

Police said the victim was conducting business at a window along the counter when a second woman approached the window next to her. As the second woman set her purse on the counter, a gun inside the purse fired.

A man with the second woman grabbed the purse and ran outside. As he did, the gun went off again. Police don’t know where that bullet ended up. The second woman also fled.

Police were still looking for the couple and investigating what laws or ordinances they may have broken.

Paramedics examined the victim, who declined further medical treatment for a superficial wound, police said. Six people were in the lobby at the time of the shooting, police said.

Officials closed customer service at the Health Department for more than two hours but reopened it about noon.

“The safety of residents and staff at city facilities is our top priority,” said City Manager Wayne A. Cauthen. “We want to assure residents that we continually work to maximize security and minimize any risk to their safety and well-being.”

A notice on the building’s front door says that weapons are prohibited."
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

No holster...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would be shocked and awed if the woman in TOF's post possessed a legal CCW permit.

I will continue to purse carry when I see the need, it is very safe when done correctly.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Now, how on earth did it go off the second time?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Now, how on earth did it go off the second time?
    Because whatever caught in the trigger guard in the first place was still there when the guy tried to haul the "evil purse" outside. What an idiot---afraid that the gun was somehow going to go off again with the purse just sitting there on the counter, he had to grab and run with it...which discharged it again.

Or, I suppose, he was just trying to haul and not get caught and just never thought about the fact that the gun could go off again. Sounds like shot number two is definitely criminal negligence, no matter what they charge on the first one.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Wonder what make/model gun was in the purse.

VIP Member
    Uh Oh! I see a Glock bashing thread approaching.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

The purse is a bad idea. Thats the first thing the bad guy is going to go for. Once the BG has control of the gun you are screwed. There is always the possibility that some one will see the gun while she is digging through it for a check book or keys. If her purse were taken and the gun was carried she would still have a surprise in store for the BG

VIP Member
    My wife uses a purse designed for CCW. The gun can only be accessed from a zippered end that pretty much is a storage area in the center of the purse. She carries a S&W 642 and nothing else is in that storage area at all other than her gun.

Purse carry is not my first choice for her, I suppose it's sort of a compromise between us though. My wife is an Administrator and works in a very "safe" workplace. Her job requires her to wear business-dress clothing. I can assure you she will not wear a belly band, smartcarry, IWB, or anything else like that. Without a purse carry option she would just leave the gun in the car all the time. Don't get me wrong I'm not necessarily a purse-carry advocate, but if the person is diligent in managing their purse, I think it is a viable option for those who are responsible.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    Wonder what make/model gun was in the purse.

lmao
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

TOF,

You are right. I should have called it a purse grab instead of a purse snatch. My apologies.

Purse designed for CC should be no problem, or a proper holster for the weapon inside the purse should be no problem. Its sounds like there is more to this than meets the eye.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Troost Ave. in KC, MO is not a place you stop to get gas in the evening or want your car to break down at. Knowing this area fairly well, I feel pretty safe in saying that she wasn't licensed to carry concealed. I also fell pretty confident in my assumption that this gun wasn't "legally" obtained. This isn't an upscale doctor's office but a free health care clinic so this gives you a little idea of the cliental. Chances are they either weren't supposed to be in posession of a firearm or had warrants out for their arrest which would explain the man grabbing the purse and running like a banshee.

As far as purse carry goes, although not the best method for obvious reasons, if done properly is not unsafe. By this I mean haveing a purse designed for concealed carry. I'd much rather see my wife do it this way and have it readily available as opposed to it being in the car or at home as she's still not too hip on carrying on her body. We're working on that though. Babysteps I keep telling myself...babysteps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links