SC Gun laws

SC Gun laws

This is a discussion on SC Gun laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, Just realized that I cannot carry whe I go to SC this week. I have a FL permit. I have looked online and have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC Gun laws

SC Gun laws

Ok, Just realized that I cannot carry whe I go to SC this week. I have a FL permit. I have looked online and have been unable to find much on the laws for transporting a gun in SC. I would like to be able to leave the gun in my bag at the hotel or in the safe if they have one. What are the laws up there that would dictate this? I guess I should probably just leave it at home if it is going to be an issue.

Tom

JD
    Administrator
    Generally hotels are considered your domicile and you can keep your gun in the room (only do this if you are in the room with you're gun) Hotel safes are not theft proof, and as always watch out for the "Hotel staff is not responsible for lost or stolen items" signs, this sometimes includes the safe. If you have a lockable case, in most cases you can still transport it in your car provided that the gun is empty, in a locked case, and the ammunition stored separate, both being inaccessible to you or other occupants of the car.

Check out Handgunlaw.us for some more relevant info.

I'm not 100% on the hotel thing, so don't take my word for it, I am not a lawyer, nor do I play on TV or the internet.

The hotel information is correct, and that even preempts any no weapons signs the hotel might have, because when you rent the room, it becomes your home for that duration. You can transport the gun loaded in your glove compartment or center console, closed, but doesn't have to be locked.

You're fine to have a gun in your motel room (it's just like your home)...in your car?...

Can I carry a gun (in SC) in the glove box of a car?
    SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions. (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance;

Enjoy your trip...hurry back to the GunShine State...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sorry about SC not being a state that has reciprocity with FL. A certain state senator makes sure of that.

The previous posts are correct on carrying in a vehicle in SC.

I'm a SC LEO and the SC laws regarding handguns allow you to keep a handguns (or any gun) in your hotel room with you, just like in your home. I DO NOT recommend leaving guns or other valuables in your room while you are away while traveling anywhere. As far as carrying in your car, you are allowed to carry your handgun in the glovebox, center console, locked container or the trunk (behind the rearmost seat counts as the trunk in an SUV) in your vehicle. The glovebox or center console do not have to be locked and the gun may be loaded. It is recommended that you keep your car registration and insurance card in a place other than where the pistol is. If you get pulled over and start digging around next to a pistol while getting your car papers, thing may get "a little tense." DO NOT keep your pistol on, under, or tucked between the seats while in SC. You will likely get arrested for unlawful transportation of a pistol. You are only required to inform LE of the presence of a pistol if you are carrying it on your person pursuant to a CWP.

New Member Array rollin thunder's Avatar

Fl. cc in S.C. ?

They are (s.c.) are not on Fl.'s list.

Try: wilkink@doacs.stste.fl.us

RT

I doubt that it will do any good but I expect the Govenor on Monday to sign the bill changing the reciprocity law for SC. If he does and things go as the group pushing it say then FL permits should be recognized by SC very soon. If the ones opposing the bill were correct then SC residents will lose reciprocity will all statees.

Thanks guys, Good info all around. I will have the gun in my luggage and will try to avoid leaving it in the room. Maybe I will leave it locked inthe luggage in the trunk.

Tom

Thanks. I travel to SC all the time.

Tscott, where you headed????
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Just keep it in the car and in the case in your room.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I believe it also specifically covers you carrying it to and from the room. However I would be discrete with it as you know how some people are... no sense causing yourself extra trouble. And... welcome to South Carolina. Please leave lots of money behind!

Thanks for all the information everyone. The trip went without a hitch and we had a great time. Kept the gun in my work bag the whole trip. The bag went to the room with us and stayed there until we loaded the car to leave for home.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    Tscott, where you headed????
    The wife and I went to Myrtle Beach. I had a business conference at the Ocean Creek Resort and decided to make a summer vacation out of it.

Tom

Oh lord. I think you just missed the annual Summer high school underaged drinking crowd though. Can be fun if you don't run into that week or two. And of course, stay away during bike week. Or is it bike month now? Glad you enjoyed your stay and come back often!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links