non-res permit with most reciprocity? UT, FL, or other?

This is a discussion on non-res permit with most reciprocity? UT, FL, or other? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey there! Long story short. I am a PA resident with a PA permit. I would like to apply for a non-res permit with another ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: non-res permit with most reciprocity? UT, FL, or other?

non-res permit with most reciprocity? UT, FL, or other?

Hey there!

Long story short. I am a PA resident with a PA permit. I would like to apply for a non-res permit with another state to get the maximum ammount of states w/ reciprocity. I was thinking UT or FL, as clicking around on handgunlaw.us it seems they have the most ammount of states that honor their permits, is there another I should consider? Both states (UT and FL) still offer non-res permits correct? Is there a reason, beyond the few state reciprocity differences (MN, KS, ect) to go with one over another?

Anyone know how long UT permits are good for? FL permits are good for 7 years (as per their site) so that seems like a good reason to go with a FL permit.

Thanks a lot for any help!

2. Remove Ads

Depends on your state. In AZ, the Utah permit offered a better coverage. Nice thing about Utah, it's only a half-day lecture with nothing else. Good for five years.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I am in the military, so I think the neccesity of proving proficiency with firearms is waved.

Any idea of how long a UT permit is good for?

Senior Moderator
    Beware, though, that not every state that recognizes a FL CWFL issued to a Florida resident recognizes one issued to a non-resident.

Florida, for example, recognizes the following permits for residents of there states, but not non-resident permits issued by these states:

Arizona
    Idaho
    Indiana
    Nevada
    New Hampshire
    North Dakota
    Pennsylvania
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Virginia

And these states will honor a FL CWFL for a Florida resident, but not for a non-resident:

Colorado
    Kansas
    Michigan
    New Hampshire
    West Virginia

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

It's my understanding that Florida makes their CCW license holder list public domain, meaning anyone can go and look at the list and get contact info that was supplied at time of registration. Utah keeps their CCW license holders a private matter and not available for disclosure. Other than that, they have very similar reciprocity.
    Utah is a little cheaper than Florida's too.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Depends on your state. In AZ, the Utah permit offered a better coverage. Nice thing about Utah, it's only a half-day lecture with nothing else. Good for five years.
    And the price is right too.

Never thought about you guys from no-issue states. These things must be like heaven!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I live in Ohio and have an Ohio permit, today I received my Florida permit in the mail as well. The additional Florida permit adds several states I travel to and required little more than a check, some fingerprints and a copy of the same NRA basic handgun course certificate that qualified me for the Ohio permit.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Tennessee's is the most valuable non-resident permit. But frankly, I've never heard of anyone getting one. And I think that they are may-issue, unlike the resident permit.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Tennessee's is the most valuable non-resident permit. But frankly, I've never heard of anyone getting one. And I think that they are may-issue, unlike the resident permit.
    That may be because everything I can find indicates that Tennessee does not issue non-resident permits.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    And these states will honor a FL CWFL for a Florida resident, but not for a non-resident:

Colorado
    Kansas
    Michigan
    New Hampshire
    West Virginia

Matt
    Matt -- you missed one. Unless they've changed, South Carolina also does not recognize non-resident issue permits.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by PSIShapiro View Post
    It's my understanding that Florida makes their CCW license holder list public domain, meaning anyone can go and look at the list and get contact info that was supplied at time of registration. Utah keeps their CCW license holders a private matter and not available for disclosure. Other than that, they have very similar reciprocity.
    Utah is a little cheaper than Florida's too.

Steve
    Steve,

This is inaccurate. By FL law cannot keep a list, therefore they cannot make it public.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I know that some states you have to have a resident permit to carry in the state of residency another states non resident will not be honored in some states where you are a resident,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    That may be because everything I can find indicates that Tennessee does not issue non-resident permits.
    Hawaii doesn't issue permits either, but there is an avenue to get one. Tennessee does have a non-resident permit; how hard it is to get is perhaps a different story.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

CCW licenses are exempted from Florida's public records law.

The State DOES maintain it's own list of those folks licensed, but if you are not a LEO you cannot obtain a copy.

It is unlawful for any Govt agency in Fla. to maintain any list or registry of firearms or owners except as specifically permitted by FSS......it is a felony to do so, further, extremely heavy civil penalties attach to any agency so doing.

FYI, last I was aware, the license validity is for five years, not seven.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Utah also requires a specialized training course. They would not accept my DD214 as proof of proficiency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links