Inconsistent Rules on Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Inconsistent Rules on Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MitchellCT No. We live in a federal republic. ... I do NOT want national standards for firearms, for carry permits, NFA weapons, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Inconsistent Rules on Concealed Carry

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    No.

We live in a federal republic.

I do NOT want national standards for firearms, for carry permits, NFA weapons, ammo...
    Absolutely right.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if we had the same set of rules for all 50 states?
    No it wouldn't. If that were the case then you could rest asssured that all the states had lost their individuality. That's one thing that I really like about this country, there is a lot to choose from when considering what state to live in.

i would like to have at least less different laws. For example, neighboring states which have already similar laws could unify lists of places you are not allowed to carry. I live in Northern Florida. I am allowed to carry in Georgia, but the details are different (e.g. list of places I am not allowed to carry, wether or not to notify a police office if pulled over, and similar details)
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Roadrunner, it is up to the base commander. He can set the drinking age at 18 if he wishes... it just isn't going to happen often. The last base I was on that allowed that was Camp Pendleton in the late 90s. They didn't want Marines going to Tijuana so they allowed it. When a new commander came into power, they age went up to 21.

I agree, but very, very few officers who command a base are going to set drinking age at anything other than 21. They would have to answer for any 18-20 year olds who get drunk and do something stupid on their base if they change the drinking age. None of the places I ever served was the drinking age changed to 18. OMO.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I have been reading many of the posts on this forum and it amazes me the differences between the states with the law/rules regarding carrying a concealed handgun. I have become very familiar with my own state and have looked briefly at the states I expect to carry in before long and will study them further to ensure I am in compliance.

Wouldn't it be great if we had the same set of rules for all 50 states?

Is there any other "activity" that has such wide disparities exist between the states?

Well to put it plainly, you have NY's rules which suck the hardest, then the others which fall into line right behind her.
    One more step and it's on!

I would not want to make a major step back from our Minnesota carry law. Many more restrictions in most carry states then MN.

No permit required would be even better for all 50 states but the government would never let that happen.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

State law variations

Lots of state variation in fireworks laws, motorcycle helmets, whether you can buy wine from a vineyard and have it delivered to your house, and restrictions on homeschooling. It's tough to find a state where personal freedom wins out on all of these issues.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    I guess that would depend on which state the rules were modeled against........

Florida/Texas, sure. California/New York, not so much.......
    I'd vote for Alaska as the model State
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links