Inconsistent Rules on Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Inconsistent Rules on Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been reading many of the posts on this forum and it amazes me the differences between the states with the law/rules regarding carrying ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inconsistent Rules on Concealed Carry

I have been reading many of the posts on this forum and it amazes me the differences between the states with the law/rules regarding carrying a concealed handgun. I have become very familiar with my own state and have looked briefly at the states I expect to carry in before long and will study them further to ensure I am in compliance.

Wouldn't it be great if we had the same set of rules for all 50 states?

Is there any other "activity" that has such wide disparities exist between the states?
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

Wouldn't it be great if we had the same set of rules for all 50 states?
    I guess that would depend on which state the rules were modeled against........

Florida/Texas, sure. California/New York, not so much.......

Disparity ...

Is there any other "activity" that has such wide disparities exist between the states?
    I would say smoking bans are dissimilar in the many states as well. Some states still allow smoking in designated areas of restaurants, some only in bars, and some not at all in any public building. Some cities even ban smoking in any public outside area.

There are also "blue laws" with regard to alcohol sales and retail hours on Sundays in some states.

The good thing about the federal system we have is that it is much easier to get concealed carry approved on a state-by-state basis than it would be for a national concealed carry law. One thing we have to be aware of, though, is that state laws can and do vary on the issue.

- Ryan

It would be nice but states rights does come into play. But if it could happen federally, it would force states like NY to issue more permits to the average citizen.
    NRA Member

Administrator
    be careful what you wish for.
    "Just blame Sixto"

No.

We live in a federal republic.

I don't want to live under CA's laws. I didn't vote for those legislators and I don't want them legislating for me.

People in CA don't want to live under the same laws I do. They didn't vote for my legislators and don't want them legislating for them.

Neither people in CA or CT want to live under the laws enacted in IL, MT or MS. We didn't vote for those legislators and we don't want them making rules for us.

The federal government has the power delegated to it by Article I, Section VIII of the Federal Constitution, and they legislate according to their express powers (to a greater or lesser degree...); beyond that the states can enact their own laws provided they do not conflict with the federal or state constitutions.

We are supposed to have 50 little local republics all with their own laws, united in common purpose, that being the United States of America.

When states like CA ***** about "the easy availability of weapons in surrounding states..." or NY crys about "lax gun laws in VA..." and suggest "Nationwide standards..." they are ignoring the historical precedent of this republic - Different laws for different locations.

VA likes its gun laws. It likes weapons easy to purchase. It likes easy availability of carry permits. It likes full auto weapons (I'm guessing here, but you get the idea...)

NY does not.

NY does not have to. It can enact any laws it sees fit...for itself.

The proper way to go about enacting national legislation is to go through the federal legislature, if premissible under Article I, Section VIII of the Federal Constitution AND you can get enough votes from other states.

I'd rather deal with Connecticut's assault weapon ban under which I may not buy a Colt AR (But I can a Stag Arms...go figure) or an AK-47 type weapon, but know that someone else in AZ, VT or MT can do so at will...

And I'd like to know that if I don't like the laws where I live, I can get off my rear and move somewhere else to be subject to a different set of laws more to my liking.

NO.

I do NOT want national standards for firearms, for carry permits, NFA weapons, ammo...

NO.

Keep it on a state level.

Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    It would be nice but states rights does come into play. But if it could happen federally, it would force states like NY to issue more permits to the average citizen.
    What if NY's system is the example used for crafting national legislation?

Happy thoughts, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    No.

We live in a federal republic.

I don't want to live under CA's laws. I didn't vote for those legislators and I don't want them legislating for me.

People in CA don't want to live under the same laws I do. They didn't vote for my legislators and don't want them legislating for them.

Neither people in CA or CT want to live under the laws enacted in IL, MT or MS. We didn't vote for those legislators and we don't want them making rules for us.

The federal government has the power delegated to it by Article I, Section VIII of the Federal Constitution, and they legislate according to their express powers (to a greater or lesser degree...); beyond that the states can enact their own laws provided they do not conflict with the federal or state constitutions.

We are supposed to have 50 little local republics all with their own laws, united in common purpose, that being the United States of America.

When states like CA ***** about "the easy availability of weapons in surrounding states..." or NY crys about "lax gun laws in VA..." and suggest "Nationwide standards..." they are ignoring the historical precedent of this republic - Different laws for different locations.

VA likes its gun laws. It likes weapons easy to purchase. It likes easy availability of carry permits. It likes full auto weapons (I'm guessing here, but you get the idea...)

NY does not.

NY does not have to. It can enact any laws it sees fit...for itself.

The proper way to go about enacting national legislation is to go through the federal legislature, if premissible under Article I, Section VIII of the Federal Constitution AND you can get enough votes from other states.

I'd rather deal with Connecticut's assault weapon ban under which I may not buy a Colt AR (But I can a Stag Arms...go figure) or an AK-47 type weapon, but know that someone else in AZ, VT or MT can do so at will...

And I'd like to know that if I don't like the laws where I live, I can get off my rear and move somewhere else to be subject to a different set of laws more to my liking.

NO.

I do NOT want national standards for firearms, for carry permits, NFA weapons, ammo...

NO.

Keep it on a state level.
    +10

There are many things that vary all over the place. Marriage, divorce and inheritance are three that come to mind. It is much closer to standard now but drivers license used to be all over the place. I got my SC drivers license at age 14 but could not drive in NC because they required you to be 15. I don't know what the laws are now. Another thing that is still all over the place is drinking laws. The Feds do require you to be 21 but that is overridden on military bases. Also there are dry counties and cities. Then what you can buy in certain one is all over the place.

Gun carry does vary but it is not alone by any means.

Senior Moderator
    Only if all states had Vermonts concealed carry law.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    be careful what you wish for.
    +1

Reform of state laws should happen at the state level. Vote the gun grabbers out of office.

Folks are mentioning NY and who is from there? Bloomberg/Clinton.
    Next year we all might be comparing our laws to IL. Who is from there?
    We'd have to rename the forum "Defenseless Carry".
    'Nuff said.

VIP Member
    Like SIXTO said...."Be careful what you wish for..."

We could end up with Illionois or NYC style laws.....no carry allowed
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    The Feds do require you to be 21 but that is overridden on military bases
    Not anymore. Sorry, I'm not trying to call you out, but I see that bit of misinformation thrown around all the time and it's not true (although I wish it were).
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I can live with individual state rules...but, like my driver's license, I wish each state had to acknowledge my permit to carry...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Something like all the states becoming United. Hummmm wouldn’t that be nice. Someday.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links