Would you shoot?

This is a discussion on Would you shoot? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow, especially after spending a lot of time with my daughter on father's day this article hit me pretty hard. How could anyone beat a ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you shoot?

Wow, especially after spending a lot of time with my daughter on father's day this article hit me pretty hard. How could anyone beat a helpless child. I think that I would have done what was necessary to stop the man. In this situation is was pretty easy to identify the BG. Two adult males fighting would be much harder, but in this case I think it would have been pretty easy to figure out who needs help.

2. Remove Ads

I'm with the majority. I would order him to stop. If he didn't I would put this creep down immediately.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    He would die as fast as I could kill him
    +1. Big Time!!!!!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bline View Post
    Guess I posted this in the wrong place last time. So I'll post with a question.

Turlock man kills child in roadside beating

Given the details would you have tried to restrain the guy first or gone strait for the use of deadly force? Personally I'd warn him to stop and if he didn't and I had a clear shot I'd shoot. Interested to hear other opinons.
    I'd shoot. No hesitation. Beating up an adult is bad enough, but Rule #1 in my opinion is: you do not hurt children.

I look at my younger pupils, and can't imagine anyone harming them. An adult is hundreds of time stronger than a child.

Yes, he's getting an entire magazine, and if I have to reload, so be it...

"STOP or I'll, BANG, shoot!"

In TX this would have been a clean shot, he was obviously intending on killing the child; there is no "I was stomping on a bee that was attacking the kid" defense with this.

I also agree with some in other posts that the on lookers who did nothing to help should at least be smacked around a bit, bunch of panty waist morons.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    "STOP or I'll, BANG, shoot!"

In TX this would have been a clean shot, he was obviously intending on killing the child; there is no "I was stomping on a bee that was attacking the kid" defense with this
    Totally. He might get a warning, but it'll be 'stop!' and from that point onwards, his fist had better stop moving immediately.

That fist starts moving towards the child again, and he will not live to see his blow land.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I can't imagine stumbling across this situation. I think this is a shoot situation, and one that I would sit in front of a jury if I needed to...at least the child would be safe from another beating.
    unfortunately, no one cared enough about another human to intervene quick enough.
    Last edited by snowdoctor; June 16th, 2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: missed a few words...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Senior Moderator
    ...The Stanislaus County coroner's office told police that the agency may have to identify the boy through a DNA test because he was beaten beyond recognition...

...the child, who was shaken, punched, kicked and stomped on the pavement...

...The suspect "had tunnel vision," said Stanislaus County sheriff's Deputy Royjindar Singh, a department spokesman. "As people tried to intervene, to tackle him, he just went back to what he was doing. Anything and everything he could do to the baby, that's what he was doing."...
    A 12-24 month old baby? And I saw someone doing that to him? You are darned right I'd shoot.

This reminds me of the story of the man who was throwing his children off of a bridge. There's no question about what is going on here. This isn't something that can be misunderstood as, "well, maybe..."

No. He would get a command to stop and if it was IMMEDIATE compliance I wouldn't hesitate to shoot.

How could ANYONE stand by and just watch a baby get beaten to death? At very least I'd go in the back of my Jeep, get a tire iron and start administering a beating of my own. I had a good lesson in swinging a baseball bat when I was in high school and I think I'd put that lesson to good use if I couldn't just shoot him (meaning, for one reason or another I didn't have a gun). Maybe a near by tree branch. He might have been able to throw off a few people but a rock in a sock is extremely effective when administered to the side of the head.

I would have done something, ANYTHING.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HKP30 View Post
    The question you would need to ask yourself before shooting him though is. "Can this be resolved using a lesser method?" (Ie. Pepper Spray, Hand to hand combat, a flashlight.)
    Deadly force is already in play. IMHO, trying to work through the force continuum is not a viable option in this scenario. If there is to be a chance of saving the child, immediate and decisive force must be used.

Pepper spray might not cut it, especially if the guy is using recreational pharmaceuticals.

Similarly, hand to hand may not effect the instant cessation of harm being inflicted to the child. There's also the possibility that the BG wins the hand to hand engagement, and then returns to the child while you're on the deck trying to figure out who you are and how you got there.

Ballistic disruption of the CNS, on the other hand, will stop the active killing of the child which is already transpiring.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I would have done something, ANYTHING.

Senior Moderator
    That said, if for some reason I did not have a firearm with me, I'd use whatever came to hand to try and stop him.

Bite, kick, gouge, tear ears, poke eyes, whatever it took. I'd go to hell before I'd sit by and watch something like that so long as I had the ability to move even one limb.....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Yeah, the more I think about it I can't for the life of me understand why someone, regardless of age, wouldn't try until their dying breath to save the kid. I'd be gouging eyes, kicking balls, and thrashing like a maniac to try and stop the attack. I have 4 children ages 1-4 and it just rips my heart out to read this stuff. It's why my wife and I maintian the legal paperwork neccesary to carry a loaded gun.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    That said, if for some reason I did not have a firearm with me, I'd use whatever came to hand to try and stop him.

Bite, kick, gouge, tear ears, poke eyes, whatever it took. I'd go to hell before I'd sit by and watch something like that so long as I had the ability to move even one limb.....

Matt
    +100.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I have always thought that I would give my life to save another, especially now that I am a parent (times 4) I can't imagine living with myself if I did nothing to help another, especially a child. A man stomping on another man is 1 thing, but a child that probably can't even walk yet or talk, let alone stand for himself/herself, NO WAY!

Rocks, sticks, whatever has to be done at that point needs to be done. I still can't see how the people there couldn't simply rush the guy and stomp, I mean stop him from doing this, just baffling.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Bline View Post
    Yeah, the more I think about it I can't for the life of me understand why someone, regardless of age, wouldn't try until their dying breath to save the kid. I'd be gouging eyes, kicking balls, and thrashing like a maniac to try and stop the attack. I have 4 children ages 1-4 and it just rips my heart out to read this stuff. It's why my wife and I maintian the legal paperwork neccesary to carry a loaded gun.
    I can understand the fear of the bystanders, and two adults slugging it out, well maybe you'd look the other way. But a helpless baby ..?

*stifles gag reflex*

As limatunes says, anything ... shoes, keys, fists, log of wood, pebbles...

That child should have had the chance to grow up.

Shocking. Awful. Monstrous. I have tears in my eyes when I think of it...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links