Would you shoot?

This is a discussion on Would you shoot? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MattLarson That said, if for some reason I did not have a firearm with me, I'd use whatever came to hand to ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you shoot?

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    That said, if for some reason I did not have a firearm with me, I'd use whatever came to hand to try and stop him.

Bite, kick, gouge, tear ears, poke eyes, whatever it took. I'd go to hell before I'd sit by and watch something like that so long as I had the ability to move even one limb.....

Matt
    +1
    I just told my office staff this story, and this is what immediately came up...why didn't the people looking on do something...anything...
    no respect for our fellow man anymore.
    as a parent this sort of thing, just makes me physically ill...
    Would you have a hard time justifying the 34 9mm holes after the fact? and the reload?
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Paco;755561[quote
    I also agree with some in other posts that the on lookers who did nothing to help should at least be smacked around a bit, bunch of panty waist morons.
    According to the article onlookers did try to intervene, and after he was temporarily stopped, he resumed the attack. It is unfortunate that no one had immediate access to a good crow bar or firearm.

As to whether anyone would have shot him, I suspect that even in California the better question is "Is there anyone who would NOT have shot him?

As to those who say they first would go for a wound shot first, I will assume that they are proven expert shots under stressful circumstances. For the remainder of us average shooters, we will go for the shot which has the best odds of ending the threat in a hurry -- full body mass.

VIP Member
    I personally wouldn't post an irretrievable absolute statement about what I would or wouldn't do anywhere on the internet... in my state, threat of imminent death or severe bodily harm must exist before deadly force can be used. I think this situation clearly meets both of those legal standards.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Sorry for the child.

As for the dirtbag, he would have never known I was going to shoot him. The shot would inform him of his misdeeds. There is NO EXCUSE FOR STOMPING CHILDREN!!! And I would take my chances in front of a jury on that one, without a second thought.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    There is NO EXCUSE FOR STOMPING CHILDREN!!!
    *applause*

Hi All
    As for me im about sick to my stomach with this !! its just about everyday in this country IE 2 girls in OKlahoma or every state in between. even in my sleepy little town a father went nuts and cut his daughters head off. Ive seen alot of evil around the world in my time of service and I belive there is a point when a person stops being a human being and becomes something pure evil, Would I have warned no! might have used the child as a sheild, would I have shot ?
    well as we used to say back in the duece only one way home for that guy , one in the head and one in the heart..
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

I would venture to say the greater percentage of us would hand him his death certificate. First things first... make sure your attorney is a 2 ammendment expert and also pro-gun carry. Nothing we can do much about that eventual jury. (this is of in the event you have an unfriendly States Attorney.) Now lets say we have 20/20 after the fact and all facts are in...

Your private attorney bills for the criminal end of things and civil attorney from his estate come down on you in the amount of $500,000.00 (1/2 million) your home has to be sold and all possessions to pay for your legal bills... your family has turned against you due to these events..divorce etc etc..
    Would you still shoot the man? ????????

Senior Moderator
    I very much doubt here in Central Florida that the SAO would be foolish enough to seek an indictment, and I have even less doubt that the Grand Jury would no-bill in about 10 seconds given the fact pattern in the scenario provided.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Heat View Post
    Shooting to wound will get you in a load of trouble! Notice that a cop will never do this. They shoot to stop the threat (kill). If you shoot someone with the intent to wound you better have a lot of money and free time for the lawyer fees and jail time. Shouldn't be that way, but it is.

As far as would I shoot...yes. I'd verbally warn to stop, then warn that I'll shoot if he doesn't stop, then shoot to stop. Still cost a pretty penny in lawyers fees just to keep it out of court, but it is the right thing to do. Protecting a child...that is a no-brainer. Too bad it ended the way it did. This world is getting screwed up!
    I posted it like that because I think a quick kill would let this guy off too easy, but in real life I would double tap him COM hopefully blowing his heart apart.Either thid guy was so drugged up or emotionally unstable that something a small child did provoked him to beat him to death.Actually going to prison and being stuck in general population would of been better ,once the lifers found out he beat a small child to death ,he would of received the same treatment.
    Also in Texas if the shooting was justified you cannot be sued civilly by perp or family ,period
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturalstate View Post
    I would venture to say the greater percentage of us would hand him his death certificate. First things first... make sure your attorney is a 2 ammendment expert and also pro-gun carry. Nothing we can do much about that eventual jury. (this is of in the event you have an unfriendly States Attorney.) Now lets say we have 20/20 after the fact and all facts are in...

Your private attorney bills for the criminal end of things and civil attorney from his estate come down on you in the amount of $500,000.00 (1/2 million) your home has to be sold and all possessions to pay for your legal bills... your family has turned against you due to these events..divorce etc etc..
    yup.
    if it meant I could save the life of a 12-24 month old baby...it is just money...and I have enough faith in the system that the legal system would not charge for this.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I can't help thinking that if you'd given this skuzbag the one-way ticket to eternity that he so richly deserved, you'd be very unlikely to be sued (at least in Texas).

In any other state, your legal fund would be so overwhelmed with donations, that you could pay your legal fees and still have $10 million left over for these folks

I'd donate $100, no hesitation.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

If in this pretty much cut and dry case, if I shot this and got prossicuted for it, then as a country, we have already lost.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by Bline View Post
    Guess I posted this in the wrong place last time. So I'll post with a question.

Turlock man kills child in roadside beating

Given the details would you have tried to restrain the guy first or gone strait for the use of deadly force? Personally I'd warn him to stop and if he didn't and I had a clear shot I'd shoot. Interested to hear other opinons.
    I would NOT fight him off, I would stay away from him to ensure he does not have the opportunity to wrestle my gun from me when I draw it, and I would give him one loud warning before using deadly force (when there is a clear shot.)

In my state, it's legal to use deadly force to stop a forcible felony and so I will not stand by a let him take an innocent life, and I certainly won't go try holding him only to have my face beaten in, stabbed etc.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    I would NOT fight him off, I would stay away from him to ensure he does not have the opportunity to wrestle my gun from me when I draw it, and I would give him one loud warning before using deadly force (when there is a clear shot.)

In my state, it's legal to use deadly force to stop a forcible felony and so I will not stand by a let him take an innocent life, and I certainly won't go try holding him only to have my face beaten in, stabbed etc.
    I feel more and more sick, the more I think of this. I believe in the sancity of life and will do all that I can to preserve it. I don't want to kill anyone. But we're 'hard-wired' to protect children. Seeing an adult man hammering the life - literally! - out of a defenceless baby is so ... repugnant, that I really don't think he'd get a warning.

I'd still be aiming and dry firing into his corpse, when the cop would be gently taking my pistol out of my hand and saying, 'he's gone, Sir...he's gone ...'

Quote Originally Posted by papanewguinea View Post
    I feel more and more sick, the more I think of this. I believe in the sancity of life and will do all that I can to preserve it. I don't want to kill anyone. But we're 'hard-wired' to protect children. Seeing an adult man hammering the life - literally! - out of a defenceless baby is so ... repugnant, that I really don't think he'd get a warning.

I'd still be aiming and dry firing into his corpse, when the cop would be gently taking my pistol out of my hand and saying, 'he's gone, Sir...he's gone ...'
    And the way how I personally look on issues involving the use of deadly force, it's not me who killed the attacker, but the attacker who forced the hand of that person, it's not personal at all.

I wander what set off this clown to want to hurt a little baby like that? Probably he snapped from all the crying, probably he could not be the father the child needed... Any community that has laws preventing the effective defence of the most helpless in sociaty (babies, mentally ill, disabled, elderly etc) is not a place worth living in because they ARE enablers of these violent acts and their claim of respecting life (but not defending it) is only a perversion that mocks the natural order of the universe... every single animal and plant as a self defence mechanism but these politicians who make law preventing people from defending themselves and others go against everything that is true.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links