Would you shoot? - Page 7

Would you shoot?

This is a discussion on Would you shoot? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gg12 The child was quite likely already mortally injured by the time the first bystander showed up and called. At the risk ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Would you shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by gg12 View Post
    The child was quite likely already mortally injured by the time the first bystander showed up and called. At the risk of sounding cold, I seriously doubt I'd have shot to defend a corpse.

That does sound cold. How would you know that you were "defending a corpse"? I deal with medical emergencies on a regular basis and I don't think I could determine if the child was alive or not without being able to check vitals. I don't understand not doing everything in one's power to protect or help a child.

This story just made me absolutely sick to my stomach. I can't believe the on-lookers couldn't stop this guy. I'm a pretty small guy and very calm, but you'd see me fighting with a fury never before seen. I agree with most on here saying that he'd get one loud warning to stop before he got ventilated.

The thing is when you first arrive as a bystander, you don't know the child is dead or mortally wounded. Even if you knew he was mortally wounded, that means there is still life there and even though the child may die at least the last moments will have dignity.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I agree. You would have no way of knowing whether that child was dead or mortally wounded. Have a heart man.

I would have shot the first chance I got. A guy like that doesn't deserve a warning

mag dump...of course that would only be 9 rounds with me :-) ..but hey...he deserved to die
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    This story just made me absolutely sick to my stomach. I can't believe the on-lookers couldn't stop this guy.......
    Amen! This is what has me so upset. I know there was one older or elderly couple first on the scene - but a few others showed up. Ok, no one has a gun. Maybe some sand/gravel to the face and two or three jumping him - one shielding the baby. This, in my opinion, is so disheartening. I guess it is from all the conditioning of "the police are on their way" - don't die, don't get injured, don't get involved - hang in there with me - "they are on their way". The media stated that the child was between 1-2 years old. They start to recognize fear around 6-8 months. They start trusting or learning who is taking care of them around that time. The terror that this child must have lived through as someone who should have loved him, destroyed him.

I would draw and tell him to stop. If he failed to obey I would shoot until the threat was stopped.
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

Itís too bad that some of us CCW people would have been there in place of the bystanders.

Would I have shot? I think I would have.

Witnessing something like that is visceral. I don't think I'd be able to speak. Logic would be out the door. The only thing that would stop me from shooting is the slide locking back.

It wouldn't be: "is this a legal shoot?" "Should I warn him?"

I would put an end to it in the fastest, most sure way possible. If that happens to be a few (read: 16) 180gr JHP's to COM, then so be it.
    Last edited by Exodus; June 19th, 2008 at 12:57 AM.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bline View Post
    Guess I posted this in the wrong place last time. So I'll post with a question.

Turlock man kills child in roadside beating

Given the details would you have tried to restrain the guy first or gone strait for the use of deadly force? Personally I'd warn him to stop and if he didn't and I had a clear shot I'd shoot. Interested to hear other opinons.
    Yes. I would shoot.

I am the father of 5 children. Stomping a child, shaking a child, or punching a child, especially a toddler, is not a form of punishment or corrective behavior. It's assault with intent to harm or kill considering the disparity of force between a toddler and a grown adult male.

Yes, in this situation I would have shot this man and I most likely would not have made any verbal announcement before hand if the account of the incident in the article is accurate.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I heard this being reported on the Savage Nation radio talk show, some of the witnesses claimed that they did not try to stop him because they were "gripped by fear."

Some times I wander if this little baby could have survived if multiple people were to try to hold him down some how instead of just "being a good witness." The child is dead now and he never had a chance to live life... what a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeEater2 View Post
    That does sound cold. How would you know that you were "defending a corpse"? I deal with medical emergencies on a regular basis and I don't think I could determine if the child was alive or not without being able to check vitals. I don't understand not doing everything in one's power to protect or help a child.
    I guess some people figure "It's just a child, he/she is already dead so why defend them." Cold does not begin to describe such a view, I could bet any money that if this were his child he would act rather than assume anything!
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by gg12 View Post
    The child was quite likely already mortally injured by the time the first bystander showed up and called. At the risk of sounding cold, I seriously doubt I'd have shot to defend a corpse.
    WOW!!!!.......that's all I can say!
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

Originally Posted by gg12 View Post
    Crazy.. No offense but who knows, maybe there would be hope for the little kid....
    Sounds like that Kitty Genovese story years ago in NY
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalstate View Post
    Your private attorney bills for the criminal end of things and civil attorney from his estate come down on you in the amount of $500,000.00 (1/2 million) your home has to be sold and all possessions to pay for your legal bills... your family has turned against you due to these events..divorce etc etc..
    Would you still shoot the man? ????????
    How this could even be a consideration is beyond me. I have a real family. A family of honor and integrity who would never turn on me for doing the right thing regardless of the price. Any woman who would divorce or turn on her husband for stepping up save a child's life regardless of the price is a filthy sleazy slimy slithering skank. Mine isn't. If my standing up to stop a child from being killed meant I'd spend the rest of my days in a prison cell so be it, my wife would be there every visiting day. After what we have been through together and knowing the strength of my wife character I do not think that, I know it for an indisputable fact. To even think other wise is an unacceptable insult and attack on my wife.
    There are some things that are far more important in this world than me, my freedom, my life and especially more important than my net worth. Next to God our children are the top of that list. Period.
    I am at a complete loss to how one even gets to asking that as part of the equation. Who cares, a little baby was being beaten to death. A beautiful innocent child our Creators greatest gift was being beaten to death screaming in horror and pain, how can any of that other crap possibly matter?
    Absolutely positively beyond any doubt do anything and everything possible to save that child, to do anything less is to be less than human. To me that is maybe the most horrifying part six people were there and I will never understand how six people could not stop one sick mad dog. Unless every one of them was beaten to death as well there is something seriously wrong with every single one of them based on what the article said
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Sponsored Links