Would you shoot?

This is a discussion on Would you shoot? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guess I posted this in the wrong place last time. So I'll post with a question. Turlock man kills child in roadside beating Given the ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you shoot?

Would you shoot?

Guess I posted this in the wrong place last time. So I'll post with a question.

Turlock man kills child in roadside beating

Given the details would you have tried to restrain the guy first or gone strait for the use of deadly force? Personally I'd warn him to stop and if he didn't and I had a clear shot I'd shoot. Interested to hear other opinons.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

2. Remove Ads

I'd draw tell him to stop if he didn't I'd start shooting at the knees and work my way up til he quit twitching
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Guess I posted this in the wrong place last time
    Wasn't posted in the wrong place, it was just already running on here. As far as your question, I would have ordered him to stop. If he did not stop immediately, I would have ended the threat immediately.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

+1 order him to stop...he doesn't comply...take the shot. This kind of thing makes me sick.

Matt
    -----------------------
    -SW1911
    -Sig P229
    -M&P 40c
    -Glock 30 SF

Senior Moderator
    He would die as fast as I could kill him
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

To save that child I would have taken the shot. Who knows what was on this guys mind.
    If you cannot stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

If you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself..."Baa."

Order him to stop hurting the child.......at least as many 165gr. .40's to force him to stop..........breathing.......I mean, to stop hurting that child.

"....... fighting off passers-by who tried to stop him, until he was gunned down by a police officer whose helicopter landed in a nearby pasture, police said Sunday."

"The suspect "had tunnel vision," said Stanislaus County sheriff's Deputy Royjindar Singh, a department spokesman. "As people tried to intervene, to tackle him, he just went back to what he was doing. Anything and everything he could do to the baby, that's what he was doing."

It's obvious no passerby's were armed, but NOBODY could get between the baby and that O2 waster?

Ignore me.......I'm just ranting.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Yelling "STOP" while drawing the P30
    if he didn't comply immediately, I'd have shot him without hesitation.
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

Agreed. Order to stop immediately. Non-compliance followed by as many of these as necessary:

Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'd draw tell him to stop if he didn't I'd start shooting at the knees and work my way up til he quit twitching
    Shooting to wound will get you in a load of trouble! Notice that a cop will never do this. They shoot to stop the threat (kill). If you shoot someone with the intent to wound you better have a lot of money and free time for the lawyer fees and jail time. Shouldn't be that way, but it is.

As far as would I shoot...yes. I'd verbally warn to stop, then warn that I'll shoot if he doesn't stop, then shoot to stop. Still cost a pretty penny in lawyers fees just to keep it out of court, but it is the right thing to do. Protecting a child...that is a no-brainer. Too bad it ended the way it did. This world is getting screwed up!

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HKP30 View Post
    Yelling "STOP" while drawing the P30
    if he didn't comply immediately, I'd have shot him without hesitation.
    Agree,

He would have had about as much warning as I could give while drawing and finding a clear shot. there is no excuse for that, there is nothing a 1-2 year old child can do to deserve that kind of treatment.

He got what he deserved, unfortunately it wasn't soon enough.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

in a heartbeart!

would it even be necessary to order him to stop? since the felonious act was already in-progress, deadly force would be immediately legit, right? I'm in Ohio, by the way. Don't know if this would be different elsewhere. Was this in California? Thanks. Horrible horrible story.

Senior Moderator
    He's using force that a reasonable person would conclude is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury.

In Florida, that's a legally sufficient reason to deploy deadly force.

He gets a command to stop (while the pistol is drawn), then front sight / press and repeat until he no longer poses a threat to the child.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Rules for a good shoot. The person being shot needs to meet the following criteria. (At least in Indiana, where we're allowed to defend the life of others.)

A) Intent (To kill, or produce great bodily harm)
    B) Opportunity (Is the person in a position to actually do what he intends.)
    C) Capacity (Is there a serious disparity of force? Is the person armed with a potentially deadly weapon? etc.)

Obviously Intent is there. The man is already attacking the child

Opportunity is there. The man is in the same location as the child, and is not in handcuffs, restrained, or otherwise prevented from harming the child

Capacity is there. A child can not defend himself against a larger, stronger, determined attacker.

The question you would need to ask yourself before shooting him though is. "Can this be resolved using a lesser method?" (Ie. Pepper Spray, Hand to hand combat, a flashlight.)

As for yelling STOP.... I train to verbalize while drawing the gun. The word STOP is a command ingrained in us from childhood....... And it looks good when in front a Jury. "Officer I heard him tell that man to stop. He didn't and the man shot him." looks better than "Officer, I heard him yell "DIE DIE DIE" as he drew his gun and killed that man."
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links