Concealed forms of self-defense in other countries

This is a discussion on Concealed forms of self-defense in other countries within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a girlfriend who is Canadian and lives in Canada. I know it's illegal to use pepper spray unless it's on a dog (in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed forms of self-defense in other countries

Concealed forms of self-defense in other countries

I have a girlfriend who is Canadian and lives in Canada. I know it's illegal to use pepper spray unless it's on a dog (in canada). I was wondering if anyone else knew of knife/pepper spray/etc laws in other countries? Obviously gun laws are very different when outside of the US.

* If anyone knows of the laws for Japan that would really help - I'll be living there for a year pretty soon.

2. Remove Ads

In Iraq, if they can't shoot the burglar in their house with the AK47, they get them when they try to escape in their car... with the RPG.

Sorry, I just couldn't pass that up.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    In Iraq, if they can't shoot the burglar in their house with the AK47, they get them when they try to escape in their car... with the RPG.

You need to be careful when shooting COM. You may detonate the vest.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Better, as a foreigner, forget concealed weapons in Japan and learn martial arts!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Better, as a foreigner, forget concealed weapons in Japan and learn martial arts!
    True - plan on it ;)

LOL. Imagine getting an RPG concealed without printing :P

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    I have a girlfriend who is Canadian and lives in Canada. I know it's illegal to use pepper spray unless it's on a dog (in canada). I was wondering if anyone else knew of knife/pepper spray/etc laws in other countries? Obviously gun laws are very different when outside of the US.

* If anyone knows of the laws for Japan that would really help - I'll be living there for a year pretty soon.
    In Canada there are 3 levels of "Authorization to Carry" (ATC)

ATC 1 is remote wilderness with an approved handgun for predator defense, must be carried openly

ATC 2 Is for Security and Armoured car guards

ATC 3 Is our CCW, only granted if you can prove an imediate theat to your life and have some training. Number issued unclear, some Judges and Crown Proscutors have admitted to having them, we suspect that BG's that turn evidance have been issued in the past.

A movement to promote carry in Canada Canada Carry

MAN I am glad that I don't live in Canada! Proud to be an American. Good luck man!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

So what about countries like New Zealand? Do they issue for CCW?

Quote Originally Posted by Slabsides45 View Post
    So what about countries like New Zealand? Do they issue for CCW?
    ...NO!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's illegal in France, full stop. You can carry your keys concealed, and that's all. No guns, open carry or concealed carry. Only the police get to carry weapons.

In South Africa we are allowed only 1 gun for defense,either a shotgun or handgun & the handgun has to be concealed.We are also allowed 3 for sport 1 handgun,1 shotgun & 1 semi auto rifle but you can't carry it on your person & to get a semi auto you gotta run in VERY BIG circles to get one but the law does have a loop hole that you can defend yourself with any of these.It's very complicated but I hope this helps

I have lived in Japan since 1998. Standard disclaimer: I ain't a lawyer, and certainly not a Japanese one. Here is what I *do* know.

Carrying any blade longer than 4 centimeters "without a valid reason" (and you guessed it, defending your LIFE is NOT a "valid reason" ) is a violation of the Swords and Guns Control Law. (It really is one, big happy steaming piece of...legislation, not seperate laws for swords and guns.)

I have no idea what the laws are for concealed carry, but batons and pepper sprays are legal to at least buy.

http://http://anandan.jp/baton/index...FRMJewodOVZEUw

I bought an ASP here about 8 years ago. I keep it in my car, but with the increase of violent crime here (the Akihabara mass murder in June, another stabbing spree at a train station about a month before that, and a female slasher at a train station a couple weeks ago) I want to start carrying it on me. These whack-jobs seem to prefer to go to *really* crowded places at peak times when they decide that hurting others will somehow help alleviate their own miserable, pathetic existence. If I am around when it happens, I WILL NOT step aside like most of the here, I'll step up and make do with what is on hand, but I would prefer to have at least the proper tool available to ASP the idiot a few questions about his behavior!

It *may* be OK to carry it, but then again this is the same country where I read in an official police publication that self-defense is NOT a valid reason to carry a knife, of any length...and no Leathermans either! I will have to do some research. My feeling is with its tendency toward anal-retentiveness, if they didn't want people to carry sprays and batons for protection, they WOULD ban their sale like they did with handguns (Ask the previous Mayor of Nagasaki how well that worked for him...), but who knows? When I bought my ASP at the small shop in Shinjuku (it is still in business as of late last year) there was no I.D. check/paperwork required, so my feeling is it *may* be OK, with conditions. I will ask a good friend of mine (Japanese guy with 99.995% native level English) to research it for me. I can read Japanese fairly well, and have even translated legal contracts, but I don't trust my current level of Japanese to keep me out of jail if I misunderstand/misread the law on carry batons for protection.

Send me a Private Message mchaley, I'll tell you more and I can introduce you to the dojos (Aikido and Iaido) I train at when you get here.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar

Wow! How do they expect for you to defend yourself in a bad situation?

I guess you would have to take up a martial art. I stopped taking mine after 10 years of it due to the fact BG's use firearms and I can't kick, punch, or dodge at 1000fps.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I carry a small can of dog spray, a 3" folder and a flashlight with knurled bezel, looking for a fast strobing flashlight witrh knurled bezel. When I take my kid out, I also put a can of bear spray into the bag, we do get bears around here!

I also carry a concealed sidearm on my property, although to stay legal it must be unloaded, although the loaded mags are on my belt or pocket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links