TN LEO Experience yesterday

This is a discussion on TN LEO Experience yesterday within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday, my grandfather passed. Siince he was at home, but not in Hospice care, the police had to come out and look around, blah-blah. Since ...

Thread: TN LEO Experience yesterday

TN LEO Experience yesterday

Yesterday, my grandfather passed. Siince he was at home, but not in Hospice care, the police had to come out and look around, blah-blah. Since my uncle was the one who called me, I busted ass over there and didn't bother removing my M9 from the holster and leaving it in the car. When the police got there... finally... I let him know I had a HCP and was armed. I also asked if he would prefer I disarm, because I know it can make some of them uncomfortable. He said "I'm around armed people and guns all day, so as long as you don't whip it out real suddenly, I don't care what you do." Yay for living in the South.

O... and I found out he is a state firearms instructor and would have taught the class for $40, rather than the $115 I paid. Damn.

2. Remove Ads

Sorry about your loss. As far as the looking around, they have to do that. When my father-in-law passed, they went in and looked around and rounded up/took possesion of all of his prescription meds. As far as being armed, they handled it the way they should have.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm glad the Police interaction was positive (as it should be) and as deadeye pointed out, this is procedure. They have to determine a cause of death and gathering things like prescriptions and looking for suspicious items in the vicinity (like a container of 60 sleeping pills that's down to 4 and it's a day old), etc.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Administrator
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I'm sorry for your loss. Treasure the good times you had. Glad the LEO experience was good, this is how it should be everywhere.

VIP Member
    Sorry about your loss.

Sorry to hear...glad you stayed armed...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. I hope he lived a long, full life and had lots of loving family around.

Sorry for your loss friend. One thing i was thinking in my home, it was none of their buisness that i was armed and i sure would not have asked if it was O.K.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mike mawdsley View Post
    Sorry for your loss friend. One thing i was thinking in my home, it was none of their buisness that i was armed and i sure would not have asked if it was O.K.!!!
    A big plus one on all counts. Why even broach that subject in that situation?

Sorry to hear about your Dad. May he RIP.

Sorry to hear that your Grandfather died. My condolences.

Just FYI, there is no legal requirement to inform a LEO that you are armed when you come in contact with one in Tennessee. So, you did not have to tell him at all.

I have lived here in TN for a few years now and all the LEO's I know (there are quite a few who go to the gym I belong to) tell me that it is not uncommon at all for them to have interaction with armed citizens. Especially here in Shelby county where we have, by far, the highest percentage of armed citizens in the state.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by vanDutton View Post
    Yesterday, my grandfather passed. Siince he was at home, but not in Hospice care, the police had to come out and look around, blah-blah. Since my uncle was the one who called me, I busted ass over there and didn't bother removing my M9 from the holster and leaving it in the car. When the police got there... finally... I let him know I had a HCP and was armed. I also asked if he would prefer I disarm, because I know it can make some of them uncomfortable. He said "I'm around armed people and guns all day, so as long as you don't whip it out real suddenly, I don't care what you do." Yay for living in the South.

O... and I found out he is a state firearms instructor and would have taught the class for $40, rather than the $115 I paid. Damn.

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. I am going through the same thing myself. I lost two aunts in a week, one on June 7 and the other on June 12.

Regarding your firearm, you did the right thing. You informed the officer and asked him for instructions.

Links