South Carolinaaaaaaaa

This is a discussion on South Carolinaaaaaaaa within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; COME ON AND RAISE UP.... TAKE YOUR SHIRT OFFF TWIST IT AROUND YOUR HAND SPIN IT LIKE A HELICOPTOR........ I can go south now and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: South Carolinaaaaaaaa

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

South Carolinaaaaaaaa

COME ON AND RAISE UP....
    TAKE YOUR SHIRT OFFF TWIST IT AROUND YOUR HAND SPIN IT LIKE A HELICOPTOR........

I can go south now and be covered all the way on the VA permit. All the way to FLorida.

the Governor of South Carolina has just signed a bill that will open
    up reciprocity to any state that honors South Carolina!

The law becomes effective IMMEDIATELY and is now in force.

Virginia ALREADY honors South Carolina, so formal reciprocity should
    be a slam-dunk!!!

HOWEVER, it is not in affect yet. So **DO NOT carry concealed** in
    South Carolina until I put the word out (Virginia and South Carolina
    have to sign a reciprocity agreement first).

I have left a voice message with Tom Lambert who does reciprocity work
    for the Virginia State Police. Hopefully the State Police will jump
    on this quickly.

As soon as we can begin carrying, there will be an alert going out to
    let you know.

Many thanks to Jim Mullins, my counterpart in the West Virginia
    Citizens Defense League (wvcdl.org), for staying on top of this and
    letting me know the new law was coming.

And of course, a big thanks to the gun organizations in South Carolina
    for continuing to fight for this law tirelessly over the years!

--

VCDL is getting some new hardware and software. The VCDL site will be
    down for a while tonight and the VA-ALERT list server will down for a
    while, too.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Just got this e-mailed from somebody else and was about to post it... Good news, since my dad just moved to SC.

Any idea whether it will cover non-resident permits from other states?

Edited to add: Aw, crud. Maybe not...
    SECTION 1. Section 23-31-215(N) of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 347 of 2006, is further amended to read (emphasis mine):

"(N) Valid out-of-state permits to carry concealable weapons held by a resident of a reciprocal state must be honored by this State, provided, that the reciprocal state requires an applicant to successfully pass a criminal background check and a course in firearm training and safety. A resident of a reciprocal state carrying a concealable weapon in South Carolina is subject to and must abide by the laws of South Carolina regarding concealable weapons. SLED shall maintain and publish a list of those states as the states with which South Carolina has reciprocity."
    2007-2008 Bill 3212: Concealable weapons permits - www.scstatehouse.net - LPITS
    Last edited by kazzaerexys; June 17th, 2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Research
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Just got this e-mailed from somebody else and was about to post it... Good news, since my dad just moved to SC.

Any idea whether it will cover non-resident permits from other states?

Edited to add: Aw, crud. Maybe not...

2007-2008 Bill 3212: Concealable weapons permits - www.scstatehouse.net - LPITS

My understanding is no. You must be a resident of the state that issued the permit. We will have to wait until the formality is given to know for sure.

Sanford does another good deed. He's been a good un.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    great news

So does this have any impact on FL residents or do I still need to disarm at the SC border?

VIP Member
    About time....if SLED doesn't sabotage it......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post

the Governor of South Carolina has just signed a bill that will open
    up reciprocity to any state that honors South Carolina!

The law becomes effective IMMEDIATELY and is now in force.
    Sweet! I travel to SC alot and ID takes EVERYONE's out there. When does this go into effect (approximately).

I think that SLED may even be a little librel with interpretations of this law. If the gloom and doom that some have been predicting come about then I am sure this will be one of the first things addressed in the next legislative session. SLED was the ones pushing for this bill and telling the Senators what states would be covered. I doubt they want to be caught in a lie as hard as they worked on this version.

The law takes effect immediately so what is the true interpretation is up to you. I would think that FL is covered and the law doesn't really say there has to be an agreement, just that a background check and training course has to be required. Doesn't say you have to pass either.

The original post is misleading as SC will honor another state's permit if that state requires a background check and training. This will leave GA out for example.

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I think that SLED may even be a little librel with interpretations of this law. If the gloom and doom that some have been predicting come about then I am sure this will be one of the first things addressed in the next legislative session. SLED was the ones pushing for this bill and telling the Senators what states would be covered. I doubt they want to be caught in a lie as hard as they worked on this version.

The law takes effect immediately so what is the true interpretation is up to you. I would think that FL is covered and the law doesn't really say there has to be an agreement, just that a background check and training course has to be required. Doesn't say you have to pass either.

The original post is misleading as SC will honor another state's permit if that state requires a background check and training. This will leave GA out for example.
    Thanks FN1910! Fingers crossed here...

This is from an older article that I found on what SLED and the NRA said that the law would do. I hope they are correct. There are some saying that it will cause SC to lose all reciprocity.

States that currently recognize South Carolina’s concealed weapons permit include: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia and Wyoming.

The new law would expand the states recognizing South Carolina’s concealed weapons permit to include: Colorado, Florida, Maine, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada and West Virginia.

South Carolina currently recognizes the concealed weapons permits of the following states: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Tennessee and Wyoming.

The law will expand that list to include: Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Utah, Virginia, Wyoming and West Virginia.

Sounds like great news.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

I'll be monitoring any changes made to the Reciprocity page on the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Website. I don't want to be a test case.
    NRA Member

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I love to hunt in SC, and I love it that now I'm legal in to carry in SC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links