Guns: The Topic Everybody Loves to Hate... Or Do They?

This is a discussion on Guns: The Topic Everybody Loves to Hate... Or Do They? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shortly after I found out I was pregnant I joined a pregnancy forum where I could get information, advice and talk to other women going ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guns: The Topic Everybody Loves to Hate... Or Do They?

Senior Moderator

Guns: The Topic Everybody Loves to Hate... Or Do They?

Shortly after I found out I was pregnant I joined a pregnancy forum where I could get information, advice and talk to other women going through the same experiences as myself.

I, of course, remained myself, so when it came time to post "belly pictures" of how we've changed from before we were pregnant to now, my "before" picture just happened to have me packing Wilson with his pretty new grips.

I explained that I was an NRA instructor and worked with guns everyday so the gun was just a part of the package (and to be very honest, I couldn't find a decent picture of myself pre-pregnancy without a gun on my belt).

I was fully prepared for a rain of negative comments about guns in the home with children and political speeches, but what I wasn't expecting was the litany of questions I was getting.

The first one was, "Do you still shoot while pregnant? My husband and I just bought our first gun. He is taking his Concealed Carry Class and wants me to come along, I would like to go and learn to use the gun too but don't want to hurt the baby. Any suggestions?"

After answering that question I got the comment, "Wow. I love the gun. I was just about to go to my concealed carry class before I found out I was pregnant. I thought I was the only female into that. It's good to know I'm not nuts."

I assured her that she is very normal and there are an increasing number of us female shooters and carriers, and before I know it the questions just kept coming to include PMs about shooting ranges in Virginia and storing guns in the home with children.

I've even gotten comments like, "I think the gun is sexy!" and "I will definitely be contacting you later to ask some questions."

It's so easy to feel like we are loosing the battle sometimes with all the hate speech we hear in the media, but it might just be that the regular people are shy about it as well because they hear the same media hype and think everyone else will think they are crazy for liking or being interested in guns.

It just takes someone to break the ice.

I originally wasn't going to post the picture in fear of "offending" anyone, but now I'm glad I did. Maybe I've started something for these new moms.

2. Remove Ads

Thats good to hear i am just as surprised as you were i am sure when i started to read the start of the thread i was thinking this is going to be interesting. It was but in a totally different perspective then i had anticipated.

Keep up the good work!
    Adam

VIP Member
    Good to hear and congrats to you and yours.
    I have to agree with the " I think the gun is sexy" part. Something very sexy about a woman carrying a gun. It says " I'm taking care of myself". That's sexy.

Send some of those pro-gun women to Washington -- I'm surrounded by ewes here!

Senior Moderator
    It just takes someone to break the ice.
    and you did!

Maybe I've started something for these new moms.
    I hope so. Perhaps you can give them a gift that keeps on giving...AWARENESS.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Very well done. Why not invite them here, there would be answers to any questions they may have( not saying that you could not answer them).
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Glad you're finding out you're not the only one in the world who's pregnant and likes shooting sports.

Invite them over, they'll be warmly welcomed :)
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

I've even gotten comments like, "I think the gun is sexy!"
    I tell my wife that all the time while shes carrying, i just love it
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Nice going Lima. Maybe the best ambassador for gun owners is a modern woman instead of the traditional man. I nominate Lima for the post.

Good to hear people are spreading the love in diverse populations all over. :-) I'm from Seattle where it can be difficult to have informed conversation with people about firearms and gun control. Then again it's difficult to have informed conversations with a lot of people out here about contemporary issues. Maybe I should move after college...

Anyway cheers to you and the health of your baby
    People do not lack strength; they lack will. Victor Hugo

well done

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    What I see is that in groups, everyone wants to be politically correct and behaves accordingly. But afterwards, they pull me aside and make the politically incorrect statements that I truly think is prevalent in our society but doesn't get verbalized out of fear of being racist/bigoted/homophobic/sexist/etc. What I find amazing is that these same people refuse to vote for people that will pass laws to implement their true feelings.

Go figure.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

It's funny my Mother is not anti or pro gun but she told me if I wanted a gun get a permit years ago so I did.

I've never heard of a pregnancy forum before, but I guess there's a forum for just about everything. Keep up the good work LT!
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Very cool, and no better an ambassador than Mrs. Limatunes!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links