Personal Protection... It's a Family Affair

This is a discussion on Personal Protection... It's a Family Affair within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had posted previously about telling my wife that I was going to take the NRA's Personal Protection in the home class, and my wife ...

Thread: Personal Protection... It's a Family Affair

Personal Protection... It's a Family Affair

I had posted previously about telling my wife that I was going to take the NRA's Personal Protection in the home class, and my wife asked if she could go.

Needless to say, I was thrilled. My 16 year old daughter has also expressed an interest in shooting, and when discussing this with the instructor, he offered us a package rate and would allow my daughter to audit the course for free (she couldn't be certified, because she's underage).

I will hopefully have my LCP by that time and I bought a 100 round box of ammo to take with me. My wife and daughter will be able to use the replica pellet guns he has on the premises.

I bought a pair of safety glasses and hearing protection for both my wife and daughter, and when my daughter saw the glasses (yellow wrap around) she said: "Wow, these are cool! I can wear these all the time!". My wife thought she was being sarcastic and my daughter said: "No, really!".

That same day my daughter and a female friend were home alone and they heard a noise like someone running through the house that scared them, so they locked themselves in the bathroom with a cell phone and was going to call 9-1-1 when they discovered that it was the guy who was fixing the gutters.

This opened the door to the safe room rules at night if you hear something. The personal protection class will reinforce that for her. I know she won't be able to carry dad in her pocket all the time, and I'll figure I did a good job if she can carry something as deadly and easier to pack.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

The family that practices personal protection together stays together.
    NRA Member

Good news!

Can your 16-year-old daughter spend some time with my 15-year-old daughter? I'd like some of your daughter's influence to rub off.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Good deal! Way to go dad!

All three of my daughters shoot, I taught them at a early age. When they went off to college, I would buy them a 2" revolver. And I told them if they had to use it remember their training. Luckily they never did. Now I am teaching their kids to shoot and respect weapons. It is good to include your daughters along with your sons.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Both my girls, 13 and 15, have expressed intrest in shooting. The 15 year old has been to the range with me on several occasions, but the 13 year old's cheerleading, volunteer work, and other extracurricular activities have 'gotten in the way' of our range time so far.......we're gonna go soon though. They both know daddy's armed and have taken part in the after-cleaning after a range day. For us it's baby steps, working up to competenciey and trust with daddy's firearms. They're coming along.

Bravo Zulu on you and your girls, and your grandbabies(!)
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by rdoggsilva View Post
    When they went off to college, I would buy them a 2" revolver.
    Was this a college without a no-gun policy? Or did you just tell them to carry illegally? (Not making a judgment, just curious. My daughter will be a H.S. senior this coming year.)
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

My wife was pretty easy to convince. She is a stay at home mom and also homeschools both of our children. I would send her email stories copied off of news sites of some of the terrible things happening around this country, especially the stories involving children, and she actually asked me for a gun. My son and daughter are 9 and 6, but have already been shooting with me. They love to shoot, and on command can recite the gun handling safety rules.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    daughters can be just as interested in firearms as sons...and usually have better hand-eye coordination at younger ages.
    congrats on getting your daughter involved, and your appetizer speech on safe room will really make a difference during the course, especially if you have a quality instructor.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Now that is just too Kewl!

That's outstanding! I've found that one of the best ways to win a friend or family member over is to take them shooting -- worked with my very anti sister-in-law from Maryland.

First, they see how the gun is just a tool, like any other, that needs to be treated with respect, but won't just jump off the table and shoot itself.

Second, they see the respect I show and the attention to safety.

Third, they discover just how much fun shooting can be! My sister-in-law, for example, absolutely fell in love with the Uzi (hey, what's not to like!).
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Was this a college without a no-gun policy? Or did you just tell them to carry illegally? (Not making a judgment, just curious. My daughter will be a H.S. senior this coming year.)
    Yes I told them to carry illegally, the schools the two older girls went to USC, UC-Davis very anti-gun. That is when we lived in Cali. After moving to Utah my youngest girl and one of our sons went to the University of Utah. Here you can carry concealed with a CFP on campus. Utah is very gun friendly. Both went to college after serving in the military and over 21, so they have there CFP. And they carried everyday.
    On a footnote my two oldest girls have told me they were not the only ones who carried while in college. Come to find out most of there friends at the time carried.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

VIP Member
    You have no idea how lucky you are bro!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Links