Choosing a lawyer for self defense representation

This is a discussion on Choosing a lawyer for self defense representation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you that have consulted with lawyers in order to decide on the second phone number you'll call (after 911) God forbid you ...

Thread: Choosing a lawyer for self defense representation

Choosing a lawyer for self defense representation

For those of you that have consulted with lawyers in order to decide on the second phone number you'll call (after 911) God forbid you ever have to shoot in self defense... how did you do your research? What advice do you have for someone that's going through the same process? What questions did you pose to the lawyer? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Criminal or civil court?
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

I consulted with some local police guys I know from multiple departments, other folks on the gun club board, and at a couple shops and asked who they used.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I would inquire who the Police use for there lawyer usually they will tell you

My CCW instructor told us that if you are a member of the NRA, you could obtain a lawyer through them to defend you in a self defense shooting. I haven't followed up on it yet, but it sounds like a good idea.

Assistant Administrator
    I have yet to research that but - it is IMO well worth checking out.

Much as anything I think - we need to find a RKBA/2A sorta person as a priority.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    During my CCW class, the instructor recommended a local attorney that is a CCW instructor and specializes in representing self defense shootings. He recommended that we call the guy's office and request a couple of business cards. One for your wallet and one put up somewhere at home. I followed his advice, but hope I never meet the guy in person....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    During my CCW class, the instructor recommended a local attorney that is a CCW instructor and specializes in representing self defense shootings. He recommended that we call the guy's office and request a couple of business cards. One for your wallet and one put up somewhere at home. I followed his advice, but hope I never meet the guy in person....
    Bumper,
    I wonder if you could tell me who that could be as I am in the Phx. area and would like to have a name and # in my wallet just in case.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Member Array Optimistic Paranoid's Avatar
    I've done the 40 hour LFI course with Ayoob, and I can lay a few of his thoughts on the subject out for you.

Mas (who is a cop) believes that about 97% of the people arrested by cops are either guilty as charged, or at least guilty of one or more lesser included charges.

(If you or I get arrested after a righteous self defense shoot, we will be members of the 3%)

As a result of the above, Mas says that the average criminal defense attorney has NEVER represented an innocent client, and doesn't really have a clue how to defend an innocent man! Mostly they specialize in getting plea bargains with the prosecutor!

Mas recomended finding out who the local police union used to represent officers - these are usually knowledgable about justifiable use of force and prepared to take it to trial and seek an acquittal.

Another point - If you are arrested, you will be allowed ONE phone call. If you get the lawyer's answering service, you've had your call. If it's the start of a three or four day holiday weekend and the lawyer's gone sailing, or whatever, you're going to sit in the slammer until he gets back on Tuesday morning.

For that reason, your one phone call should be to a TRUSTED other - spouse, brother, parents, whatever; THEY can make as many calls as needed to track him down or get a different lawyer to come down and arrange bail to get you out as quickly as possible.

The phone call should be something along the lines of:

"Honey, there's been an incident, I've been arrested.
    I'm OK, I wasn't hurt. I'm being held at the XYZ Precinct at 123 Smith street, I'm in the custody of Sgt. John Jones. I need you to get me a lawyer right away, you'll find an envelope in the top right desk drawer with phone numbers and more information. I'm depending on you, Babe. I love you."

The reason why you mention the cop's name is cause he get's to listen to YOUR side of the conversation, and he's just heard himself identified as the person responsible for you. At this point, he MAY just decide to put you in a cell by yourself rather than throw you in holding with the junkies and pimps.

Leaving aside the fact that you don't want to spend four hot days and nights in a holding cell, there's an even more important reason for getting a lawyer as quickly as possible: A good defense lawyer will IMMEDIATELY hire an experienced private eye to investigate the shooting with an eye to turning up anything that will AID the defense and prove your innocence, and you want him working the case as quickly as possible, not four days after it's all gone down.

Regards
    John
    Regards
    John

Life Member - American Society of Armed Political Malcontents

Question Authority. Hang As Necessary!

In God I Trust. Everybody Else Keep Your Hands Where I Can See Them!

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I'm a criminal defense lawyer. This question and similar ones sure get asked a lot on the 'net.

Here's a thread in which I go into some detail about how to find a lawyer (in post #6).

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...t=Erich+lawyer

Excellent posting, great info maybe life-altering. Thanks
    "Stay Alert, Stay Alive"

Links