From NRA-ILA: Utah Non-Resident Permits Under Scruntiny

This is a discussion on From NRA-ILA: Utah Non-Resident Permits Under Scruntiny within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lawmakers to Discuss State Concealed Firearm Permit Policy Jun 17, 2008 by Eric Ray McCoy to Run Bill Banning Non-Utah Residents From Applying (KCPW News) ...

Thread: From NRA-ILA: Utah Non-Resident Permits Under Scruntiny

VIP Member

Lawmakers to Discuss State Concealed Firearm Permit Policy

Jun 17, 2008 by Eric Ray
    McCoy to Run Bill Banning Non-Utah Residents From Applying
    (KCPW News) Representatives from the Utah Department of Public Safety can expect to hear some very pointed questions from lawmakers about concealed firearm permits during tomorrow's Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Interim Committee meeting.

"Can you quantify the benefits to Utah citizens and taxpayers of continuing to issue concealed weapons permits to people from outside of Utah? That's really what it comes down to. When we make a decision about whether or not to maintain a particular program or practice in the state of Utah, what we do is weigh the costs vs. the benefits," says Democratic Senator Scott McCoy of Salt Lake County.

McCoy says the practice of issuing concealed firearm permits to non-Utah residents raises several concerns. One is an issue of public safety. McCoy says once a permit is issued to a non-resident, the state lacks the resources to make sure those people remain legally eligible to hold the permit. The other concern is fiscal. McCoy says the cost of performing the necessary background checks is using resources better spent elsewhere.

See remainder of story here:
    Lawmakers to Discuss State Concealed Firearm Permit Policy - KCPW

I don't have such a permit, but for those of you who do....
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

I hold a non-resident Utah license, and I've often wondered the same thing...except for the $60 the state gets, why would they issues them? I got it only for carry into Nevada, since they don't recognize Arizona's because we don't have a photo on ours.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Hopefully in time there will be enough reciprocity that people won't be forced to get these out of state permits in order to carry in a state other than Utah.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

It is a revenue machine for UT, and it increases the likelyhood of people from other states going to UT.

Does fee cover costs?

I just renewed my Utah non-resident permit, and the cost was only $10. I can't imagine that a fee that modest covers their costs.

It seems to me that a simple study of supply and demand would have them significantly raising prices for non-residents. Demand would reduce and profitability would skyrocket. Those of us that really want them would pay. They could fund other Utah programs with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    It is a revenue machine for UT, and it increases the likelyhood of people from other states going to UT.
    The state of Utah is very reasonable when it comes to their CCW application fee. I think increasing the price will settle this. They're only charging $65.25. If they make the fee in line with the other states, they can make some money. It's only fair. I have no problem with it.

TyC

UT CCW permits under scrutiny

I didn't see this posted anywhere. If its a repost sorry

ksl.com - Utah's concealed-weapons permit under scrutiny

Utah's concealed-weapons permit under scrutiny
    June 18th, 2008 @ 5:42pm

Richard Piatt reporting

Utah is on track to grant more than 40,000 concealed-weapons permits this year; that's way up from about 28,000 last year.

And so far this year, nearly half were granted to out-of-state residents. So what is the next step? As you can imagine, there is a sharp difference of opinion about this matter. One democratic senator says this is a matter of public safety. More conservative lawmakers say there is no problem.

Utah's concealed-weapons permits are among the least expensive and widely recognized in the nation. And to get one, out-of-state residents don't even have to set foot in the state. Today, state law enforcement officials say they're being overwhelmed by demand for the permits. Richard Townsend, with the Department of Public Safety, said, "We are having a very difficult time administering the out-of-state component to this issue."

Gov. Jon Huntsman has recently asked the Department of Public safety to seek clarification of the law, but is it working? Is it a good idea? It was exclusively democrat lawmakers asking those questions at a legislative meeting. In particular: application of rigorous background checks for gun permit applicants. Sen. Scott McCoy, D-Salt Lake City, said, "That same process that doesn't exist for any permit that leaves the state of Utah. And goes to a resident that isn't a resident of the state of Utah."

Dee Rowland, with the Gun Violence Prevention Center, said, "Utah residents have a daily background check, I think that's good, I think until we can do that kind of thing with out-of-state permits, we are taking a great risk with other people's lives."

Defenders of gun owners' rights say Utah's law and permit system is working so well, in fact, that it's an example for other states. The majority of this committee hinted that future legislation on the issue is premature.

Clark Aposhian, with the Utah Shooting Sports Council, said, "We have yet to see a problem, let alone a pattern of problems with people being issued permits in other states. The ability to defend oneself should not stop at the border of a state."

The bottom line for everyone is safety. But there is a philosophical difference between the two sides about what that means when it comes to firearms, who carries them and how they're carried.

E-mail: rpiatt@ksl.com
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Links