What has it cost you?

This is a discussion on What has it cost you? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't think it's over-thought at all. If you're going to make such a huge decision that will change the rest of your life you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What has it cost you?

I don't think it's over-thought at all. If you're going to make such a huge decision that will change the rest of your life you DO have to consider every aspect and whether or not it's worth it to change as much as you need to to accommodate.
    As far as the people around me go, I don't really care what they think. I live in a total "Obama" state. I think 75% of the people I work with are Obama supporters so obviously I don't talk to them about how I feel about guns and the right to carry. I'm lucky that my family, both immediate and in-laws, feel the same way that my husband and I do so we don't run into much conflict there.
    If a situation ever arose where I needed to use my gun, this may sound totally naive, but I don't think I'd be scared at all. The way I envision it going is adrenaline totally takes over and the instinct to protect my family and preserve my own life, as well.
    This is going to sound totally like a "girl" thing and it's kind of embarrassing for me to admit, but the thing I'm having the biggest problem with right now is changing the way I dress. I don't like wearing "big" shirts that won't print and I don't really like prints that will hide a gun well. I love jackets, but what do you do in the summer when it's too warm for jackets? I like low-slung jeans, and shirts that show just sliver of tummy and that obviously doesn't work for concealing a gun. I won't carry in my purse 'cuz I think that's just dumb, but my husband showed me a video of a girl that completely hid her pistol while she was wearing a relatively short skirt! That made me really excited. lol
    But even if I did have to dramatically change the way I dress it wouldn't bother me because knowing that I have the means to protect myself and my family even if my husband isn't around is such an incredible peace of mind that it totally overpowers the want to dress "sexy." :)

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    It certainly changes the way I dress. I prefer to carry a full size (or at least "intermediate size) handgun, so I have to dress for concealment, not always for ulitmate comfort. I'm certainly always aware I'm armed. It makes me nervous when I hear people say, "The holster is so comfortable, I forget I have it on.". I never forget what I am carrying or the responsibility it brings with it.

I do feel a bit bad for those folks who say, "I'll never go here" or "I'll never visit that place" because "they won't let me carry my gun". Don't get me wrong...it is a personal choice that I respect. But people miss out on a lot when they think that way. I am fortunate that there are very few places in the US that I cannot carry. But overseas, I'm forced to go "gunless", just like anybody else. I would hate to think of the wonderful places I've seen and visited in Europe that I would have missed if I refuse to go because I can't carry a gun there. Would I have been more comfortable armed with my pistol? Most certainly. But I was NEVER unarmed. My brain is my primary defensive weapon. I try very hard to train and learn other techniques for defending myself and my family that do not require a firearm.

Just my humble (I can hear my wife laughing) opinion.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Sponsor
    This is a very interesting post for me as I have not decided the amount I will carry. Thank you guys for sharing!

untold number of dollars for training classes and ammo
    hundreds for holsters...trying to find the "right one"
    I can't sit completly unaware in a restaurant that serves booze
    (can't carry there in TN)
    I try NOT to go to those places but sometimes fast food won't cut it
    I watch everyone now when I'm in public
    My biggest wardrobe question now is "bobtail or not"

I have to admit, some days living in "white" was much easier...but I can't go back now :-)

If you have a carry permit and DON'T carry...you're doing yourself and your loved ones a disservice. You can't know in advance when you'll need protection
    Know the laws in your area and plan accordingly
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Nothing changed exept for the clothing.

I grew up in a country where you HAD to be aware of your surroundings, in Jamaica there is no place for the oblivious and just about EVERY house hold has a dog, has grilled windows and doors... just about everyone who handles a lot of money is armed... just about every school boy who takes the bus travels with friends and has a knife.

Growing up in such an environment for many years, there was just about no "change" when I started carrying and I have been exposed to firearms since I was 8 years old, owning and carrying a gun only "changed" the way I dressed but that's about it... I have always been the type to be aware of what's going on, being unarmed or armed should have no baring on this because it's better to avoid being caught by criminals in either case since a gun does not make you bullet prof or stab prof. I knew people who were armed but got killed by being ambushed in their drive way when they arrived home etc, one guy never even got a chance to draw his weapon though his dogs were poisoned first a few days before though, that should have been a clear sign that somethings up in the area, gunmen HATE DOGS with a passion.

So for me, nothing changed but the clothing, I don't want a potential attacker to know that I am armed because I probably would be shot if the criminal thought I was an off duty cop or something and there is no surprise advantage there , and I don't want to be harrased by Metro Atlanta police which have been reported to be very unfriendly to permit holders, I heard of cased where CCW holders got drawn on, taken down by force, cuffed etc right after they informed they had a permit (though it's perfectly legal not to inform them if they had not asked.)
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    "So my questions to you are: What changed in your life when you decided to full-time carry? How did you handle the changes? Do you feel like the changes were good, as in stuff about you that needed improvement anyway - or bad, as in stuff that you don't like but put up with to have an effective defense?"

I canned most of my Ego , and practiced being Humble.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I think my decision was different than most on the board. Killing a human being -- I would say, an image bearer -- is not something I am entirely comfortable with, even one trying to kill me or others. This was the first hurdle I had to clear -- and still have to clear on a daily basis -- accepting the necessity and, under certain circumstances, the moral justification of violence. That was never and still is not a simple given. Not only could I shoot under duress, but should I shoot... Some will, I'm sure, consider me an idiot for even thinking twice about it. No matter... "to him who knows the right thing to do and does not do it..."

There's a certain horror entailed in killing a fellow human being, even a completely debauched and wicked one... That doesn't mean I am morally opposed to it -- if I were, I wouldn't carry. Nor do I think these considerations would impair my ability to respond appropriately. Every day I make that decision; if ever I find myself unsure of my responsibility and "rightness", I will not carry until the time comes when I am certain I could act.

But I am duly respectful of the consequences of killing another person even in the most justified circumstances possible, and I'm not talking about judge, jury, or lawsuit. Life is sacred.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by faithmyeyes View Post
    Although all insights are welcomed, this question is primarily to those for whom full-time carry was a considered decision and not a foregone conclusion.

I'm convinced that being able to defend my family is worth some inconvenience and discomfort, but in I'm not exactly (that I know of) surrounded by like-minded friends to discuss these things with. So my questions to you are: What changed in your life when you decided to full-time carry? How did you handle the changes? Do you feel like the changes were good, as in stuff about you that needed improvement anyway - or bad, as in stuff that you don't like but put up with to have an effective defense?

Yes, I over-think everything.
    I understand where you are coming from. I had a difficult time when I decided to carry full-time. I knew that carrying full-time was a good idea. I also knew that I was married to a partial anti. The way I looked at it was I would rather have her mad at me for owning and carrying a firearm than alone and sad because I was dead. I am fortunate that I do have quite a few pro gun friends, and coworkers. My family is progun, my dad is a lifetime member of the NRA. Her family to my knowledge is not pro or anti. We don't talk about firearms, and they don't hunt so it's not as if firearms come up in conversations around the dinner table. As for carrying her family does not know that I carry as far as I know. She is the main reason I carry. I love her and don't want to leave her alone in this world.

As for changes I have had to make I think they have all been for the better. I pay closer attention to the people and environment around me more now than I did before. I have had to make some changes to my wardrobe. I now wear a gunbelt 24/7 instead of a regular belt. I buy my pants a size larger than I used to.

As for your "overthinking" everything that can be a good thing.

starshooter231
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

Wasnt a radical change for me. I have always been pro-gun, but was ignorant about everyday carry. Getting married and becoming a father tends to change the way you view the world. I dont see evil around every corner, or believe everyone is out to get me, but I'm a realist, and realistacally there are bad people in this world.
    The hardest thing for me, was telling my mom, who is fanatically anti-gun. She and I reached an understanding that I would respect her views and not carry in her house(why not compromise for Mom).
    Dressing for everyday carry has been a little challenging. You can read all the articles you can and get all the advice you want, but it is a little harder putting those things into use.
    XD-40 4"

The road goes nowhere for those who dare not dream.

Quote Originally Posted by jabo2818 View Post
    The hardest thing for me, was telling my mom, who is fanatically anti-gun. She and I reached an understanding that I would respect her views and not carry in her house(why not compromise for Mom).
    As others have said, better to ask forgiveness than ask permission. I haven't addressed the carry issue with my mom as she lives in IN and I am in NJ, but I would tell her the same as I told my wife: I will not ask permission to protect myself or my family.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links