Defensive Carry banner

Mom's Coming Around...

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  cl00bie 
#1 ·
Tonight I remembered that I had a magazine carrier coming in the mail, so I decided to go down to the mailbox to get it (we have one of those big central mail system things in our neighborhood about 150 yards from my house). I informed the parents (living with them for the summer) so that my sudden return wouldn't encourage my dad to grab the shotgun.

Mom, as I'm leaving: "Why don't you take a gun with you?"

Of course, I already was, but it was nice advice from my mother, who has generally been rather uncomfortable with my dad and I carrying. I was taken aback and quite pleased.

Last week she agreed to go shooting with dad and I, but we got the time of the range wrong and showed up five minutes before close. Too bad. We're scheduled for a family outing to the range sometime in the next week or so.

#2 ·
That is cool. I don't live at home, but still my mom doesn't know I own a gun. My dad knows though and he is totally cool with it. Funny because my mom owns a small pocket gun, but for some reason I don't think she'd be happy that I own one (she's pretty over protective and probably thinks I would shoot myself).

#3 ·
A few weeks ago I saw a family of four, mother, father, daughter and son, go into the range I shoot at with another guy and all five of them were shooting together. It was funny to see the mom kneeling on the floor looking for her magazine pouches and asking her son if she could borrow one of his because she thought she left hers home. I got the impression from one of the people that work at the range the other guy was there to train them. I thought the whole scenario was pretty cool and thought 'a family that shoots together, lives together.'

#5 ·
I decided to go down to the mailbox to get it ... Mom, as I'm leaving: "Why don't you take a gun with you?"
That would earn a hug and kiss from me. No need to say anything, even a whispered "I already am." Just a wink and a smile would do.

Of course, my mom would have a gun in her hand over her dead body. So, she's still a long way from crossing over. I'd be happy just to see her smile with the idea that I take my/her/our responsibility for safety and security seriously enough to take active steps to do so. Were she actually to remind me to be safe, be secure, I think I'd have to be administered smelling salts by the responding EMT's. But that's just me.

#9 ·
My mom sold my dad's one and only revolver after he passed away, even after countless requests for her to give it to me. It's been 8 years and she still denies ever hearing me say I wanted the gun.

#10 · (Edited)
Two monks who had taken a vow of silence and chastity came to a stream. Waiting there was an attractive young woman who was trying to figure out how to get across the water.

Without a word the younger of the two hoisted her on his shoulders, and barefooted, crossed the stream with her. On the other side, he let her down, and the two monks continued on. 10 miles later the older monk broke the silence: "Why did you carry that young woman across the stream? You know that's forbidden!"

The younger monk replied: "I set her down 10 miles ago; you're still carrying her".
After 8 years, buy yourself a really nice gun (possibly just like the one your dad had) and let it go.

#11 ·
It is always fun to hear how parents view guns and how they come around when their responsible sons or daughters are carrying handguns legally.

Mine were surprised but understood when we talked about it. Father was a principle (for 33 years) and understood completely because having to deal with gang members. My mother (a teacher for 35 years) took more time but now pats me down to find the gun when we are at her house. Just for this thing, I sometimes carry 3 or 4 guns over there just to have fun.

Their eyes bug out when the 3rd or 4th gun is shown. :rofl:

I plan on working on my dad to get him shooting handguns and then a carry permit. :bier:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.