PA CCW laws

This is a discussion on PA CCW laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this may have been covered alread, if so, excuse me, im kinda in a bit of a hurry. Last week I applie for ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rhyfl

Thread: PA CCW laws

PA CCW laws

I know this may have been covered alread, if so, excuse me, im kinda in a bit of a hurry. Last week I applie for my permit and recieved it 15 mins later . I asked the guy if he had any idea on where to get local/state/federal laws about ccw. He couldn't give me a straight answer. So...is there any place I can find such thing?

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    PAFOA.org/forum

That's the PA Firearms Owners Association.

Also check out Handgunlaw.us.

Pretty much the only things off limits, are: Schools, Courthouses, and most Federal Buildings IIRC.

Here we go...

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I noticed this thread sort of veered slightly off topic a tiny little bit.

Pennsylvania.

Do not carry to KennyWood Park - it's private property and you will get wanded. Don't even take a little keychain knife with you to the entrance of the park. You'll have to either give it up or walk all the back to your car.

You must have your License To Carry on your person anytime you are carrying concealed.

You are not required to notify LEO if you are stopped for a traffic violation.

Federal Buildings and the Courthouses - NO.

Carry in banks. - OK.

Carry in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. - OK

Consume alcohol within the PA. BAC limit. - OK

Vehicle carry on your person. - OK

Stores & Malls. - OK

Airport - NO

Enjoy you visit to Pennsylvania.
    It's a very easy and relaxed place to carry.
    I carry pretty much everywhere all day and night without any problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dpslusser View Post
    I know this may have been covered alread, if so, excuse me, im kinda in a bit of a hurry. Last week I applie for my permit and recieved it 15 mins later . I asked the guy if he had any idea on where to get local/state/federal laws about ccw. He couldn't give me a straight answer. So...is there any place I can find such thing?
    I know this will ruffle a few feathers but if you can get a permit in 15 minutes and have no idea of the laws concerning guns what is the reason for even requiring a permit? If that is all that is required then the Vermont/Alaska model should be implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I know this will ruffle a few feathers but if you can get a permit in 15 minutes and have no idea of the laws concerning guns what is the reason for even requiring a permit? If that is all that is required then the Vermont/Alaska model should be implemented.
    a lot of people who in the process of receiving their LTCF/permit aren't fully aware of the laws, either. i know i wasn't. the sheriff who issued me mine wasn't too sure on some points; i had to do my own research, most of which consisted of places like this, and pafoa.org. i didn't even know that open carry was legal until last year.

Try this site - it's a great resource for all the various state laws
    Handgunlaw.us
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

State parks are a no go.

Regarding airports, I am not sure about it being a no go. I am talking about the non-secured areas (drop-off, pickup, baggage claim area, etc. ...) If anyone can cite a law regarding airports in PA as bgin offlimits, I would love to see it.

I know this thread is almost a month old, but I found this on guntrustlawyer.com:

Pennsylvania is a "shall issue" state, meaning that the appropriate sheriff must issue the license, unless the applicant is prohibited.
    There are places which are off-limits in Pennsylvania , when concealed carrying. These include:
    1. All Federal Facilities (Unless Authorized);
    2. All Court Facilities;
    3. State Parks (except while in a vehicle);
    4. Adult and Juvenile Detention Facilities; and
    5. Airport Terminals (secure areas only).

This is probably not an exhaustive list, but it does address the airport issue brought up here.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Be sure to use these sites to find actual links to or information on the statute codes in your state as well. Reading the laws as they are written is an important step to furthering your knowledge.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    I know this thread is almost a month old, but I found this on guntrustlawyer.com:

Pennsylvania is a "shall issue" state, meaning that the appropriate sheriff must issue the license, unless the applicant is prohibited.
    There are places which are off-limits in Pennsylvania , when concealed carrying. These include:
    1. All Federal Facilities (Unless Authorized);
    2. All Court Facilities;
    3. State Parks (except while in a vehicle);
    4. Adult and Juvenile Detention Facilities; and
    5. Airport Terminals (secure areas only).

This is probably not an exhaustive list, but it does address the airport issue brought up here.
    A month old? Try 3 years old...

State parks are not prohibited...as of right now you must CC while in a state park. There is discussion as to whether or not our newly signed Castle Doctrine would make it legal to open carry as well as CC....

RKM
    PAFOA.org

You'll find a lot of info there. I'm also a member there as well.

JD: I know it's not you who said it, but airports are OK. Just not the "secure" are of the airport. If you're meeting somebody at the airport to pick them up at baggage claim, you can carry. If you're getting on a plane, you have to go through the process of checking the firearm with your luggage.

1 of 3% NRA, Pafoa, Pazrt

Links