Had to give up a box of ammo at the airport - Page 2

Had to give up a box of ammo at the airport

This is a discussion on Had to give up a box of ammo at the airport within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Supertac45 A positive outlook. Always look on the bwight soid of loif ......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    A positive outlook.

Always look on the bwight soid of loif ...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I think you made a wise choice of not making a stink at the ticket counter.

I do like the ideas of printing out the TSA rules, and I think Iíll do that for my next flight.

Thanks,
    Good idea to have the TSA rules BUT ALSO HAVE THE INDIVIDUAL AIRLINE"S RULES AS WELL!

Quote Originally Posted by b52ace View Post
    I had a similar incident 2 weeks ago occur w/ AirTran out of Orlando to Richmond, VA. I had copies of TSA and AirTran procedures. The only difference was AirTran requires "Ammunition must be packed in baggage separate from the firearm." I told the agent I only had one bag, so I had locked the ammunition in a separate container. And that the rules said "separate from the firearm" so I had interpreted that to be not in the same locked container as the firearm, which the TSA allows. The agent checked (w/ a supervisor, I assume) and said it was fine.

One other item which came up, which I hadn't read anything about, the agent wanted to see that the ammunition in the boxes filled each slot, ie, they had to be full boxes. Fortunately, I had packed 2 full boxes (20 rds each) or I think there would have been an additional issue to deal with. Something to think about.

Oh, and coming out of Richmond, the agent didn't care a bit about the ammo. Go figure.
    There are several airlines that do this as well............So even if TSA says it's OK, the airline might NOT!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Wink Ammo Caliber

The ammo wasn't 9mm?
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

You could carry you're ammo in a manner which became popular in prison but I think I'd just buy a box at my new location
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I had to ship my new SA EMP back to Springfield in IL for some warranty work (FTE unfired rounds) the other day, and they emailed me a FEDEX Express shipping label. I put the EMP in its hard-sided case and took it to a FEDEX Kinko's store.

I told the young lady it was a firearm, and she opened the box and said "I think it's supposed to be disassembled. Are you a dealer?" Fortunately, one of the more seasoned employees handed her a laminated sheet with instructions for shipping firearms, and an unloaded but assembled firearm in the original box with foam inserts (so it doesn't move around) was authorized. They just had to put the case in an unmarked outer cardboard box and it was on its way. It was a minute or 2 after the 6pm cutoff, but it was shipped and delivered to SA by 1038 the next morning.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

I would call up one of the reps at Delta, the worst that can happen is that you could get your phone tapped, be added to the no-fly list and being smuggled into detention centers without rights...
    did you go through the full body scanner that they have out these days? Atleast they haven't started rounding up law abiding citizens and taking them off to "happy" camps ... yet
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I had a similar incident 2 weeks ago occur w/ AirTran out of Orlando to Richmond, VA. I had copies of TSA and AirTran procedures. The only difference was AirTran requires "Ammunition must be packed in baggage separate from the firearm." I told the agent I only had one bag, so I had locked the ammunition in a separate container. And that the rules said "separate from the firearm" so I had interpreted that to be not in the same locked container as the firearm, which the TSA allows. The agent checked (w/ a supervisor, I assume) and said it was fine.

One other item which came up, which I hadn't read anything about, the agent wanted to see that the ammunition in the boxes filled each slot, ie, they had to be full boxes. Fortunately, I had packed 2 full boxes (20 rds each) or I think there would have been an additional issue to deal with. Something to think about.

Oh, and coming out of Richmond, the agent didn't care a bit about the ammo. Go figure.
    My wife has flown AirTran several times back and forth Newport News to Dallas with a partially filled box and has never had a problem. Heck she even had 40 ammo in a 45 box!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by papanewguinea View Post
    You guys aren't seeing the big picture here.

'You need to confiscate my ammo? Yes m'am, here it is .. but I'll need your phone number to claim it back ... erm .. over dinner, perhaps?'
    Like your thinking and perception now that you bring it up it does appear the young lady was trying to establish a common ground i.e. she also carries a 9mm and tried to give the OP the opportunity to meet with her again. How much clearer can it be when a lady asks a gent to leave his load with her? TinkerinWstuff could have been Tinkerin With Some Sweet Stuff or at least unload
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Me, Imy attitude is screw the rest of the line. I would have the bimbo get her supervisor over and discuss it eith them. I would also write down her name (and the supervisor's should they go along with the agent), and let them know that will most likely be collecting unemployment very soon. I just don't tolerate BS. Definitely weite the corporate office, and see if you can get your money back. Save the letter that you get (regardles of whether or not they send you a check, the letter will be very apologetic), and take it with you the next time you fly. I have named my approach, "The Power of Positive Bitching!" (Mods, I hope this very mild expletive doesn't break any rules, if so, I'm sorry!)

I flew last month from Knoxville to Phoenix. In Knoxville I declared an unloaded firearm and the agent asked me to open the suitcase so she could see the case the gun was in. I did and she told me to place the firearm tag inside the suitcase after verifying with her buddy that the tag did not have to go inside the locked gun case, just inside the suitcase.
    On my ruturn flight from Phoenix the agent had me open the suitcase and also the gun case and had me place the tag inside of it. And she was sure that that was the required proceedure for traveling with a firearm.
    Two different agents for U.S. Airways with different understanding of what the rules are as to where the firearms tag should be located.
    I'm not surprised with all the rules and regulations to keep track of that different understandings between agents is the norm. I wish it wasn't so, but alas, that be the reality.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

I used to work for Northwest Airlink (the regional feeder for NWA) and I can't remember any restrictions that NWA had about a separate bag for the ammo. Yes, the ammo had to be separated from the gun, but as long as the gun was in its case and the ammo was in its box, it should have been ok in the same piece of luggage.

As for quoting TSA regulations, you won't get very far. They change on a day to day basis, and even us crew members don't have the latest versions sometimes. If they don't want to deal with you, the TSA will just claim "we got a new security directive today that changed the rules," and they aren't required to show them to you to prove it. I also wouldn't get into too heated of a debate with any airline employee. The gate agent has the authority to refuse you boarding if she believes you'll be a disruption on the flight, and that gives her a lot of latitude on which she is rarely questioned. Copping an attitude with any airline employee won't get you very far these days.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toddorts View Post
    Copping an attitude with any airline employee won't get you very far these days.
    Sounds like a particular case of the general principle "always give up your rights upon any challenge". That won't get you very far either.

Another reason to never fly commercially.

question to the guys wanting her fired? What would that prove? Heck if I have ever been fired for every mistake I made I would be in perpetual unemployment. She was likely making an interpretation as to the way she understood the rules, which quite honestly are complicated, change daily, and are designed for the agents to err of the side of OVER interpretation.

The way the original poster handled it presented a good demonstration to other passengers on the levelheadedness of a gun owner. THAT in the long run is more valuable than replacing a box of ammo.

My 2 cents before taxes.

Can someone post the link to the fed rule?

me
    I just brought a full 50 round box of 9mm on a plane last week. The goofy part is that I had the 50 rounds or 9mm in a .40 ammo Box.

It was the only standard size ammo box I had and my 9mm ammo was from a box of 250.

Quote Originally Posted by waynesan View Post
    I flew last month from Knoxville to Phoenix. In Knoxville I declared an unloaded firearm and the agent asked me to open the suitcase so she could see the case the gun was in. I did and she told me to place the firearm tag inside the suitcase after verifying with her buddy that the tag did not have to go inside the locked gun case, just inside the suitcase.
    On my ruturn flight from Phoenix the agent had me open the suitcase and also the gun case and had me place the tag inside of it. And she was sure that that was the required proceedure for traveling with a firearm.
    My Gate agent put the tag in the gun box, the TSA agent took it out of the gun box and put it just in the bag.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links