Had to give up a box of ammo at the airport

This is a discussion on Had to give up a box of ammo at the airport within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I travel often all over the country for work. Now that I have both my CO and UT permits, I'm trying to bring my firearm ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had to give up a box of ammo at the airport

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar

Had to give up a box of ammo at the airport

I travel often all over the country for work. Now that I have both my CO and UT permits, I'm trying to bring my firearm with me more often. Last Monday, I was going thru Denver to Indy. Monday's are a busy day at the checkout counter. I declared to the Northwest ticketing agent that I was checking a firearm. She was fine with it and started asking me about my gun, stating that she had a 9mm. But, then she says I can't have my box of ammo in the same bag as the firearm. Told me that I could check it in a second bag but it would cost me the $25 second bag fee. I told her I had it packaged and checked in accordance with the rules on their website unless they changed something. She wouldn't budge and said that if someone got my bag then they had the ammo to go with it. I didn't feel the airport ticket counter, with a huge line behind me, was the place to pitch a fit so I had to donate my ammo.

Got to Indy and bought another box of shells. Then checked the TSA website which states ammo CAN be in the same bag as the firearm, check with your airline for further restrictions. Checked NWA's website again which specifically stated ammo CAN be in the same bag as the checked firearm (I had my box locked in the same case as my Glock).

Flew home with Delta and didn't have any issues checking in with my gun and ammo.

This week I flew into JFK in NY and had to leave my gun at home. Was down in Philly, and the night I was there, they only had 6 shootings in 12 hours so you can bet I felt pretty safe.

2. Remove Ads

I think you need ot contact Northwest and get them to refund the cost of you ammo (maybe the ticket agent just needed some). It's a good reason to carry a copy of TSA regs with you.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Next time print out the rules from the Feds _and_ the airline of your choice prior to flying.
    That way next time this occurs you have a leg to stand on while debating the subject in line.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I think you made a wise choice of not making a stink at the ticket counter.

I do like the ideas of printing out the TSA rules, and I think I’ll do that for my next flight.

Thanks,

If this were me, I would have gotten the tix agent's name and fired off a letter to Northwest demanding reimbursement for the ammo. I also would have no problem w/urging the agent's removal from the job and how I intend to let everyone else know what incompetent boobs they are.

How can a company have people out on the line, dealing w/the public and just making up the rules as they go along?

You should press this issue on principle. Get your money back
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I certainly thought of printing out the rules for my return flight and will do so next time I travel. I used to keep the rules and be able to recite statute numbers when I open carried living in WI.

I honestly believe the lady thought she was complying with company rules. There is nothing to say that the restrictions on the website are the most up-to-date. But having the website restrictions printed does give me the "ammunition" (pun intended) to have it politely appealed to her supervisor. The NRA-ILA website has a warning about traveling with .50 or bigger rounds and you won't find that restriction on any TSA or airline website. At the end of the day, you are still at their mercy.

I've never flown with firearms, but I have done plenty of flying (doemstic and international) with exotic looking SCUBA equipment. It always pays to check out the latest version of the TSA and airline regs. (since they sometimes seems to change daily). One must also be prepared to gently "educate" agents at times, and sometimes just be willing to say "whatever" and roll with whatever they want.

Case in point:

A couple of years ago my husband and I were flying to Mexico to go diving. We were traveling with a disassembled rebreather each in carry-on. My 'breather went through just fine- his- which is EXACTLY the same.. didn't. The only difference was that when I packed mine I had the "head (brains and hose connections) removed from the plenum (an aluminum cylinder). Brian had the head latched on the cylinder- but no hoses connected. They said it was a "closed cylinder" (as in SCUBA tank, which you can fly with, but only if the valves are off). We tried to explain that with the hoses off it wasn't "closed".... finally he just removed the head from the plenum and that made them happy.....
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

Doesn't that make you feel safer flying....
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    well I think you made the right decision...no need to make a stink over the ammo with the long lines....I agree with others that carrying a copy of the regs with you might help, and if it happens again, now that you are sure of the regs...would be the appropriate time to make an issue of it...as you can't keep donating ammo...they are almost as expensive as gasoline.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I had a similar incident 2 weeks ago occur w/ AirTran out of Orlando to Richmond, VA. I had copies of TSA and AirTran procedures. The only difference was AirTran requires "Ammunition must be packed in baggage separate from the firearm." I told the agent I only had one bag, so I had locked the ammunition in a separate container. And that the rules said "separate from the firearm" so I had interpreted that to be not in the same locked container as the firearm, which the TSA allows. The agent checked (w/ a supervisor, I assume) and said it was fine.

One other item which came up, which I hadn't read anything about, the agent wanted to see that the ammunition in the boxes filled each slot, ie, they had to be full boxes. Fortunately, I had packed 2 full boxes (20 rds each) or I think there would have been an additional issue to deal with. Something to think about.

Oh, and coming out of Richmond, the agent didn't care a bit about the ammo. Go figure.
    "Evil prospers when good men and women do nothing" - British citizen

You guys aren't seeing the big picture here.

'You need to confiscate my ammo? Yes m'am, here it is .. but I'll need your phone number to claim it back ... erm .. over dinner, perhaps?'

Thanks for sharing b52. I'll keep that in mind as well. I have yet to read that you couldn't have full boxes either, only that they had to be packaged in factory packaging or packages designed for ammunition.

Also, I didn't have to give up the ammo, I just wasn't allowed to bring it. Didn't have time to go ALL the way back to the truck.

This is really a scary thing though if the airlines move toward this restriction as it sounds like Airtran may be attempting as well from b52's comment. What are you supposed to do as a traveler? Pay a second bag fee which is as much as a box of ammo? Am I supposed to hide boxes of ammo around the country in tree stumps near the airport?? (kidding obviously) It's rediculous that there isn't an easily identifiable standard that everyone can easily follow.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Next time print out the rules from the Feds _and_ the airline of your choice prior to flying.
    That way next time this occurs you have a leg to stand on while debating the subject in line.

- Janq
    This is what I do and suggest although I have never had a problem.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by papanewguinea View Post
    You guys aren't seeing the big picture here.

'You need to confiscate my ammo? Yes m'am, here it is .. but I'll need your phone number to claim it back ... erm .. over dinner, perhaps?'
    A positive outlook.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Have a copy of the rules...YES!...but next time, ask for a supervisor, I'm sure your box of ammo would have accompanied you on your trip.

TSA workers...(well, for $5.50 an hour...)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links