Brady Campaigns list of CCW holder crimes

This is a discussion on Brady Campaigns list of CCW holder crimes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Speaking of the Brady Bunch, and this might be off topic by a little, but was the gun used by John Hinckley legal? I was ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brady Campaigns list of CCW holder crimes

Speaking of the Brady Bunch, and this might be off topic by a little, but was the gun used by John Hinckley legal? I was a mere kid during all of that so I am unaware of carrying rules/laws back then, I mean I'd walk to the woods with my .22 rifle to shoot squirrels but that is different than what this knucklehead did.

Can someone enlighten a professed young pup (I'm only 34 now) in the ways of the past and how they have lead us to where we are now?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If you notice most of the cases quoted were in FL. Guess most of the BG's live down there! Seriously though, if that is all they could find in a period of 12 years, I don't see how they could say that the world is less safe with CC in it. I forgot, were talking the Brady Bunch!

I just signed up for action alerts for my state from the Brady Bunch. I suggest everyone else do the same. It's nice to know when we need to get involved.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If you notice most of the cases quoted were in FL. Guess most of the BG's live down there! Seriously though, if that is all they could find in a period of 12 years, I don't see how they could say that the world is less safe with CC in it. I forgot, were talking the Brady Bunch!
    Didn't Florida recently become "shall issue"? It's going to be interesting to see what happens in that state over the next 5 or so years.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

OK, so I just read this page from the Brady Bunch site

Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence

and I think I need to go throw up...

They claim that out of 29,569 Americans who died by gunfire in 2004, only 229 were shot in justifiable homicides by private citizens with firearms. Who's to say that many more crimes were thwarted because a criminal actually used their gray matter and considered there might be a gun on the other end of the door they are about to pick?

I do agree that many people who CC are untrained, some in my CHL class worried me, but that is besides the point, can you say 2A (hey that rhymed).
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I do agree that many people who CC are untrained, some in my CHL class worried me...
    In many respects...that is the point made by many against carry (not insinuating you are one...in some respects I also agree with you).

Rick

if you dig deep enough and twist the truth, you can make anyone or anything "good" sound bad. thanks for that brady bunch

In the same period, How many LEOs were convicted for a violent crime?

VIP Member
    Again, there were a total of 140 convictions of CHL holders in Texas in 2006.
    This amounted to 0.227 % of ALL convictions. Whereas, license holders make up about 1% of the total population. Therefore, license holders are about five times less likely to be convicted of something that the members of the general public.

It was a total of 140 convictions of CHL holders out of approximately 280,000 license holders.

By comparison, there were 64,000 convictions from within the general public.

I culled some of the major crime categories, with more than 5 convictions of a license holder.

ASSAULT CAUSING BODILY INJURY 21 convictions
    ASSAULT CAUSING BODILY INJURY
    FAMILY VIOLENCE 23 convictions

DEADLY CONDUCT 11

INDECENCY WITH A CHILD 9

UNLAWFUL CARRY BY LICENSE
    HOLDER 11

UNLAWFUL CARRY WEAPON 3

By and large we are a group of law abiding boy scouts, but as in any other group, some just don't obey the law.

Nothing in the statistics from Texas indicate any reason for concern that license holders will commit crimes using their weapons. Of the 140 total convictions of license holders, eleven "crimes" are unique to those who hold a license. My guess, probably violation of the "51" provision in Texas CHL law (it is tricky).

Quote Originally Posted by tabsr View Post
    And how many elected politicians in the same time period?
    Or for that matter, how many men of the cloth?

Distinguished Member

Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics

Many of you pointed out that there is more than one way to slice the characteristics of those whom the Brady Bunch list as CCW threats. For example, Texian parodied the list by replacing LEO with CCW. At least one on the list got his CCW by that route. In other words, would be carrying, anyway. This is just to agree with the consensus of this thread and to commend us CCW permit holders as among the safest and most diligent citizens.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Counter Argument:
    Civilian Gun Self-Defense Blog

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    108 incidents including someone that accidently took a gun onto school property, anyone care to figure the percentage of CCW permits this represents covering 1995-2008, I suspect that it starts with .0000%

Not to mention that lame statment by some clerk, pretty sad this is all they could come up with. I seem to remember florida stats were something like 1.2% of CCW holders charged over 18 years?

LOL that list was pure spin. I'm sure their 17 pages of "misdeeds" would be dwarfed by our multi-hundred page document listing citizens who prevented a crime or saved an innocent's life with their concealed handgun during the same time period.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I'd like to see how many Brady campaign members were arrested in that time frame.

"Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links