Brady Campaigns list of CCW holder crimes

This is a discussion on Brady Campaigns list of CCW holder crimes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.bradycenter.org/xshare/pd...s-misdeeds.pdf A good few sound like they could be justified, but Im having a hard to justifying some of them. But note that none say ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brady Campaigns list of CCW holder crimes

http://www.bradycenter.org/xshare/pd...s-misdeeds.pdf

A good few sound like they could be justified, but Im having a hard to justifying some of them. But note that none say the outcome of the event and if the CCW holder was charged or not.
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

JD
    Administrator
    From 1996 to 2008 and that's it?

I'd say that makes a pretty good case for us. I'd like to see how many Brady campaign members were arrested in that time frame.

VIP Member
    Texas' DPS by law must keep statistics on the crimes committed by CHL holders and post them as compared to crimes committed by the general public.

It is eye opening.

We are such good scouts; really.

I'll look them up and try to get back and post some examples.

Well, I couldn't find the statistics I was looking for; but here's a clue:
    IN August of 2007 there were 288,000 Texas CHL licenses active.

During that year, less than 500 licenses were suspended and less than 500 revoked.
    The stats could include such things as not reporting an address change and the belated discovery of a background issue.

I have to assume that anyone caught doing a real crime would have their license revoked. So, maybe 500 people out of nearly 300,000 did something wrong, tops.

I'll look for the other stats some more later; my wife wants me to wash the kitchen floor and I can't continue.

Still haven't done the kitchen and wife is fuming:

Offense
    Total Convictions in Texas for CHL holders in 2006

140 0.2275%

Here's the URL and a table tabulating the specific crimes and conviction rates of CHL license holders v general populous.

Texas DPS - Conviction Rates Reports
    Last edited by Hopyard; June 19th, 2008 at 09:37 PM. Reason: to add infor

JD
    Administrator
    Going by a quick skim, since 1996, less than 100 listed.

FOR SHAME!

In 12 years less than 100 "crimes and misdeeds" can be reported. This includes accidental discharges, and "oops, I left my gun in my carry on luggage" type stories. Granted there are some valid violent crimes, and I am sorry to read these, but in the end, in 12 years, this really isn't anything to be spooked over!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Politicians

And how many elected politicians in the same time period?
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Hmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by tabsr View Post
    And how many elected politicians in the same time period?

The hard drive would not be big enough to store all of those names and crimes.

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I find it amusing how they list people who were "charged" with a crime. They fail to mention whether or not these people were ever convicted.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Wished they would also post the protection and/or saves due to CCW or armed during home invasions.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Wished they would also post the protection and/or saves due to CCW or armed during home invasions.

Rick
    From the Brady Campaign?
    Not likley
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    I find it amusing how they list people who were "charged" with a crime. They fail to mention whether or not these people were ever convicted.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post

Rick
    +1

The omissions of the topics listed above show the hypocrisy of the Brady Bunch.

I read about 3 sentences of the report and realized the writer has an extreme bias against legal CCW holders. So they have no problem with BG's continuing to get guns, but only have a problem with law-abiding citizens getting guns?

I'm not sure which astounds me more: their stupidity or their hypocrisy.

Text of statement from the Brady Center:

ASSORTED CRIMES AND MISDEEDS BY CCW LICENSEES
    The gun lobby claims that only “law-abiding citizens” receive carrying-concealed weapons (CCW) licenses, and that because licensees are “law abiding,” having more people carrying loaded, hidden firearms will make society safer. Both claims are patently false.

"[T]he weight of the evidence is now firmly behind those who have found that right-to-carry laws do not reduce, and may even increase, the overall level of crime."1 Moreover, scores of dangerous people have obtained CCW licenses and used their firearms in violent acts. Abusive husbands, mentally unstable individuals, disgruntled employees, people with a grudge, and people who are simply careless or uneducated about firearms safety can, and do, get CCW licenses, posing real dangers to their co-workers, families and communities.

According to one official who processes CCW license applications, “I would hazard a fairly educated guess that better than 50 percent of the applicants have a criminal background of some kind…. The only ones who get denied are the ones who have very current offenses or serious offenses.”2

The following incidents, chronicling individual shooting incidents obtained from newspaper articles, exposes, public records requests, and detailed reports, involve people who were legally licensed to carry concealed weapons.

It is important to note that these represent only a tiny fraction of the total number of dangerous and deadly incidents involving CCW licensees. Often, a suspect’s status as a CCW licensee is not reported by law enforcement or the media, nor is that information easily available to the public.
    __________________________________________________ ________

Below is what the Brady bunch would probably do if they were to be successful in revoking our right to carry and disarming the general public in the US.

NOT A REAL STATEMENT FROM THE BRADY CENTER

ASSORTED CRIMES AND MISDEEDS BY POLICE OFFICERS

The police lobby claims that only “law-abiding citizens” receive LE commissions, badges and weapons and that because officers are “law abiding,” having more officers carrying loaded firearms will make society safer. Both claims are patently false.

The weight of the evidence is now firmly behind those who have found that arming police officers does not reduce, and may even increase, the overall level of crime. Moreover, scores of dangerous people have become law-enforcement officers and used their firearms in violent acts. Abusive husbands, mentally unstable individuals, people with a grudge, and people who are simply careless or uneducated about firearms safety can, and do, became LE officers, posing real dangers to their fellow officers, families and communities.

According to one official who processes police academy graduates, “I would hazard a fairly educated guess that better than 50 percent of the graduates have a criminal background of some kind…. The only ones who get denied are the ones who have very current offenses or serious offenses.”

The following incidents, chronicling individual shooting incidents obtained from newspaper articles, exposes, public records requests, and detailed reports, involve police officers who were authorized to carry weapons.

It is important to note that these represent only a tiny fraction of the total number of dangerous and deadly incidents involving armed police officers. Often, an officer’s criminal conduct is not reported by law enforcement or the media, nor is that information easily available to the public.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    +1

+1

The omissions of the topics listed above show the hypocrisy of the Brady Bunch.

I read about 3 sentences of the report and realized the writer has an extreme bias against legal CCW holders. So they have no problem with BG's continuing to get guns, but only have a problem with law-abiding citizens getting guns?

I'm not sure which astounds me more: their stupidity or their hypocrisy.
    I agree...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

averaged about 10 per year nationwide.

Big yawn-fest.

The published stories of legit self-defense far outway this sticky batter.

And the un-published stories of self-defense?

More than we all could count.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links