Wife Convinced

This is a discussion on Wife Convinced within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today there was a fatal shooting at the church that the wife and I work at. Apparently one of the coaches for our sport's ministry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wife Convinced

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar

Wife Convinced

Today there was a fatal shooting at the church that the wife and I work at. Apparently one of the coaches for our sport's ministry was followed into the parking lot by some guy he pissed off on the road.

The young guy jumped out of his car and started raising hell. An off duty SWAT officer happened to be dropping his kids off and went over to help de-escalate. During the course of this the young guy told the officer, "I'll show you how I deal with my problems," and reached back into his car. The officer drew and shot him 6 times, fatally wounding the guy.

Ummm... the wife just agreed that I need a CHL.

2. Remove Ads

Here's a good rule to live by: don't draw (or act like you are going to draw) on an alert and armed officer.

I hope your wife will join you and get her CHL also.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    No chance of her getting a CHL, at least not right now. She'll practice and know how to operate the firearms, but she's not gonna go that far...

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty boneheaded thing to do, but hey... he knows that now, right?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    She'll practice and know how to operate the firearms
    If she can and will use a gun for home defense if needed, then she's further ahead than my wife.

As far as bonehead/hothead getting shot, well, IMO it's better than an innocent party or the officer getting shot. Bad choice to make a threat and then reach into his car. Yup, guess he figured that out as he was getting shot.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    Today there was a fatal shooting at the church that the wife and I work at. Apparently one of the coaches for our sport's ministry was followed into the parking lot by some guy he pissed off on the road.

The young guy jumped out of his car and started raising hell. An off duty SWAT officer happened to be dropping his kids off and went over to help de-escalate. During the course of this the young guy told the officer, "I'll show you how I deal with my problems," and reached back into his car. The officer drew and shot him 6 times, fatally wounding the guy.

Ummm... the wife just agreed that I need a CHL.

My wife for a while thought i had gun fever well kinda lol and she couldn't see why? i took her to the range one day and she froze the sounds of guns blasting made her flinch well thats understandable,i tried to get her to go back with me for awhile and she kept pushing it off til one day a sad thing happened not 3 miles away from where we live young lady was jogging was killed when my wife saw that on the news she asked me when i was goin to the range again that same night she took her concealed class one thing i will tell you wifey can shoot.and shes never fired a gun before in her life. now we are shopping for a gun for her.

Glanced at the post for a moment and thought the coach had gotten killed. Reread and was relieved. Do you know if the guy who reached in the car had a gun? Or what he was reaching for? Not very intelligent move...
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    Do you know if the guy who reached in the car had a gun? Or what he was reaching for? Not very intelligent move...
    +1. What was in the car?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Sorry it took this incident to make her see the light but at least neither of you were involved or injured in this.

Glad she now understands that this kind of thing can and does happen anywhere.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Got a link to a news story? Officer facing charges?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Got a link to a news story? Officer facing charges?
    Why would he be facing charges?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah, "I'll show you how I deal with my problems", and then reaches into the car? Yikes.

If she won't get a CHL, at least she's fine with you getting it now...
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

I found this one on google. It says the guy actually pointed a gun at the off duty LEO.

One Dead After Police-Involved Shooting At Rockwall Church - News Story - KXAS | Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Why would he be facing charges?
    'cos the world's insane.

Please elaborate! Glad the SWAT member was there. What was in the car? Sounds like a 'good' shoot. To echo Six, why would he be facing charges?

The local news has gotta' be swarming this...fill us in, please!!!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

One Dead After Police-Involved Shooting At Rockwall Church

POSTED: 8:45 pm CDT June 19, 2008
    UPDATED: 11:12 pm CDT June 19, 2008

ROCKWALL, Texas -- Police said Thursday one person is dead after a shooting involving a Garland police officer.

Police said the incident occurred at the Lake Pointe Baptist Church, located at 701 East Interstate 30 in Rockwall. NBC 5 News reported that the shooting occurred in the parking lot, and the shooting left the driver of a Ford Mustang dead. Police said the officer was off duty at the time when the man was shot and killed.

The victim is believed to be in his late 20s or early 30s. The Garland police officer was writing up a statement about what happened, NBC 5 News reported.

Rockwall police said the off-duty plainclothes police officer just happened to be at the church at the time. Police said witnesses reported the victim pulled a weapon and pointed it at the officer. The police officer then returned fire, striking the man several times.

Investigators said they aren't yet certain what the argument was over, but they said they were quite certain the two men were strangers until Thursday night.
    So this guy grabs a gun and points it at someone who turns out to be an off-duty policeman, the policeman defends his life and shoots the guy who is pointing the gun, and now the guy who first grabbed his gun and pointed it at the officer is called the "victim".

I don't know if this story is the one the OP is referring to, but it sounds similar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links