Bro's Permit Problem

This is a discussion on Bro's Permit Problem within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My brother is trying to get his FL permit. However, his paperwork was returned due to 'missing information'. We're from an Air Force family, and ...

Thread: Bro's Permit Problem

Question Bro's Permit Problem

My brother is trying to get his FL permit. However, his paperwork was returned due to 'missing information'. We're from an Air Force family, and he was born overseas on a military installation. Apparently, he needs to provide a copy of his birth certificate, in addition to the normal info.

Has anyone else had this issue with a FL permit?

-JT

2. Remove Ads

TN is the same way, now you have to bring an original birth certificate with the application to prove citizenship. BTW, I was born at Barksdale AFB in Bossier City, LA - how 'bout us Air Force brats!
    Jack

you need to prove your citizenship / immigration status. Only citizens or permanent residents can get a permit, and not born in the US, he has to prove that he is a citizen. A copy of the passport should do, or of whatever paper he got to prove he is a citizen (birth certificate may not work in his case, but he may have some papers that show that he got naturalized shortly after his birth... not sure how that works with military family born overseas).
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

He shouldn't have to prove he's a citizen, as he was born on a US military installation. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the camp, though. I want to say Camp Couiee (or something similar...I'm pretty sure the name has since changed). This was in Okinawa in '74. My father was Air Force, but I'm not sure if any Air Force facility there had the ability to do the delivery, so my mother was taken to a Marine or Army installation.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    He shouldn't have to prove he's a citizen, as he was born on a US military installation. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the camp, though. I want to say Camp Couiee (or something similar...I'm pretty sure the name has since changed). This was in Okinawa in '74. My father was Air Force, but I'm not sure if any Air Force facility there had the ability to do the delivery, so my mother was taken to a Marine or Army installation.

-JT
    Your parents would have gotten a "Certificate of Live Birth Abroad" that's the document issued by the State Department that serves as a birth certificate. They would have gotten that certificate when they registered his birth with the servicing US Embassy or consular office...or through the servicing personnel administration center on the installation/base.

Being born on a military installation doesn't preclude you from having to show citizenship. My oldest son was born at the 97th General Hospital in Frankfurt, West Germany. We have to show or provide copies of his certificate of live birth abroad all the time for registration for schools and the Naval Academy.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Apparently, he needs to provide a copy of his birth certificate,
    Don't know much about FL.

However, that is often shorthand for proof-of-citizenship.

IMHO, everyone should seriously consider going through the rigmarole to get a Passport -- given how often "True ID" is coming up these days.

So far, I've never had mine refused when someone tells me I need a birth certificate, etc.

Not to mention, if you ever suddenly need a Passport, as a Passport, you do not want to try getting one quickly.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    In the state of NM one must provide a certified (by the birth state) birth certificate.
    Personally I have no objection to that. I see no good reason the fact that he was born in a military hospital would change the requirement if everyone else has to provide a birth certificate.
    Regards,
    Jerry

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I had the same thing in Texas. The US Army (I was USAF brat & also active duty myself) hospital I was born in is no longer there. I sent off for a DS-1350 & sent the state a copy for my CHL. No problems after that. Actually, I asked for an FS-240 & they sent me a DS-1350. It does the same thing though.

Here's a link for him. It worked for me. There's a phone # at the bottom if he has any trouble.

How to Apply for a Certified Copy of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad

PHM
    If you are born to a US a citizen it doesn't matter where you are born you are a US Citizen as long as your parents meet the criteria, and being that they were in the military they obviously do. If your brother has a passport that will do, if not tell him to get one, otherwise he will need a consular birth certificate with I hear is a PIA to get.

Jerry, Interesting that NM requires a birth certificate. Having received my FL permit in past few weeks, I can say that FL has no such general requirement. Seems unique to those born abroad.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PHM View Post
    he will need a consular birth certificate with I hear is a PIA to get.
    Actually they're pretty easy to get. Read my post above.

VIP Member
    Quote with emphasis added:

Quote Originally Posted by PHM View Post
    If you are born to a US a citizen it doesn't matter where you are born you are a US Citizen as long as your parents meet the criteria, and being that they were in the military they obviously do.
    Unless some thing is changed, that's not necessarily true.

In the draft days, there were quite a number of non-citizens in the armed forces. I seem to remember that you had to be a citizen to be an officer. But I knew quite a few enlisted who were not. In fact, I had the privilege to stand as character witness for two when they got their naturalization.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

As a citizen born abroad to a military family, it matters where you were born. Was a status of forces agreement in place? There was none where I was born, so I have both a state department birth certificate as well as naturalization papers (the descrbe me as 2ft tall and blond and used my foot print as ID). He should be able to contact the state department for a duplicate BC, or naturalization papers, if he was born on a base or post.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Military Brat checking in for duty!

Born @ Eglin AFB FLorida at the Base Hospital in 1956. Did get a regular Birth Certificate so I am no help here but figured this was going to turn into a Mil Brat fest so here I am!

Links