Moving to Texas

This is a discussion on Moving to Texas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I just found out that the company I work for is moving to Texas by the end of next August. I currently live ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Texas

Moving to Texas

Hi All,

I just found out that the company I work for is moving to Texas by the end of next August. I currently live in Vermont, so I'm a little bummed by the list of off-limits areas in Texas, but at least I'll still be able to carry. I can look it up, and will apply for the TX carry license once I get there, but can anyone tell me what the cost, requirements, and approximate wait time will be?

On a side note, what are some nice areas around Dallas to live in?

I guess a screen name change will be in order once I get moved as well.

Thanks in advance.
    Rob - The Erstwhile Vermont Fat Ba*d

2. Remove Ads

The fees for the class are going to be $100 or less, at least in my area. It is supposed to be a 8 hour thing including your range time.

The licensing fee itself is $140, but you will have to probably pay for some fingerprints and photos.

Time frame, well do it as soon as you can, the wait times are approaching 120 to 180 days for new licenses. You will have to wait 6 months I believe before applying, to establish residency.

Good luck with the living around Dallas. Others here will be more helpfull. You all can have that part of Texas, I prefer my 3 minute commute.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Hey, and welcome to the DFW area. I live in McKinney and it is very nice, Frisco is also a great place. Where to live will depend on where you will work and how far you want to go (time and distance can be 2 different factors).

As I stated I live in McKinney (27 miles N of Downtown Dallas) and I have an office in Coppell (near DFW Airport) and one in Plano (Plano Pkwy and I-75 area) and even though the distance form home to either is only about a 7 to 10 mile difference it only takes 30 minutes to Plano and 1 to 1 1/2 hour to Coppell.

If you can help it, IMHO, stay out of Dallas proper! The school district is run by a bunch of boobs and crooks and the city council just found out they have a $50m deficient and are considering closing the Dallas Aquarium, etc.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Come on down!
    A couple of things to keep in mind. Texas does offer non resident permits.
    To get a resident permit you must be a resident for six months before you apply unless you have a permit from another jurisdiction. You might want to go ahead and look into getting a non resident permit now and get the ball rolling. With the increase they have had in applications lately the processing is really getting backed up. If you wait to start the process until you are down here, with that initial six month wait, it could be almost a year to get your card.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

CHL classes vary in price but expect around $100-120... Most classes include prints & photos in the class price... I just received my license and it took 130 days...

Strangely enough my status went from "Processing" to "Certificate/License Issued" 2 days after I contacted my state Rep... Shoulda tried that sooner I think...

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I just read through the statuetes and it says that the state has 60 days to process the license, and if you have not received a response within 30 days of the end of the 60 (for a total of 90), that it is considered declined... which is funny since everyone keeps saying it's taking 120 to 180 days.

As for the DFW area it really does depend on where you work... I live in Royse City, but I also work in Rockwall (both areas are pretty nice), but I just about never make it into the city proper...

Here is a very lengthy thread about the waiting period for Texas.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ng-period.html

All the information you could possibly want is in it along with the statues that are pertinent. Hopefully this thread won't be diverted.

Oh and I forgot to mention to the OP before welcome to the great state of Texas.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    The licensing fee itself is $140, but you will have to probably pay for some fingerprints and photos.
    The license fee may be less than you think:

Veteran - (1/2 off) = $70

Over 60 (Another 1/2 off) = $35

Veteran, Over 60, and Renewal (Another 1/2 off) = $17.50

In other words, my next renewal will cost less than a driver's license renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    I just read through the statuetes and it says that the state has 60 days to process the license, and if you have not received a response within 30 days of the end of the 60 (for a total of 90), that it is considered declined... which is funny since everyone keeps saying it's taking 120 to 180 days.
    Actually, the processing time was running less than 60 days for years until it was discovered that Obama was running for president. Now the state is literally swamped with new applications for CHL, and it has been impossible for the state to meet the 60-day deadline..

Thumbs down

The fees for the class around Dallas will normally be between $100-150. Passport photos and fingerprints should be included. The time frame is averaging from 70-110 days which is 10-50 days too long, but I don't know of any cases where it was 180 days unless the applicant submitted incomplete information or the fingerprints were flawed. The only requirement for establishing residency is that you have an address.(Getting a TX D.L. as soon as you get here should probably be done to avoid any complications) There is no 6 month requirement. I am unsure of where that myth was generated.

The class is 10 hours long, not 8 hours. 8 hours would get the instructor disqualified. It is mostly laws and statutes; where you can carry, who can carry, use of force statutes, etc. The range qualification is a breeze.

The application fee(which should be done online prior to taking your class, so that you get your Pin number sooner and you don't have to wait for them to enter your application into the system) is $140 for a first time applicant, waived if you are active duty or with 12 months of discharge. The fee is reduced to 70 if you are a veteran, or 70 if you are a senior citizen.(be sure you include DD214 or other proof if you are applying under a special condition)

You can do that here: Texas DPS - Crime Records Service

As far as nice areas in Dallas, there are many. It depends on what you are looking for. Highland Village is a very nice neighborhood with good schools to the North West of Dallas. It is also less than a mile or two from Lake Lewisville which has great fishing and water sports. Before I bought a house in Highland Village I lived in Las Colinas, which is also a nice area, although being closer to Downtown, I believe the crime rate was also much higher than where we are.

Dallas is one of the few places where the price of homes is still rising. Yes, it is a buyers market, and there are a lot of homes on the market, but property values are still going up. It's weird. It's like everywhere else, the further you get from downtown, the cheaper the houses are. My home was a little under 200K 1950 sq ft, and I live on an acre in a very nice neighborhood within a 2 minute drive of the lake and a boat ramp. I also drive about 20 miles to work. In Las Colinas 200K would be a good downpayment.

It's all about choices, and what you are looking for.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

According to 411.172 (a)(1), which is the eligibility rerquirements:

is a legal resident of the state for the six month period preceding the date of application under this subchapter or is otherwise eligible for a license under 411.173(a)

173(a) is the non-resident license part of the statute. The length of the class you are correct about.

One of us is reading it wrong...or the Texas Code on their website is out of date...I'll check a few other sources and get back to you.
    : Texas Administrative Code
    (1) an applicant must have been a resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application, relocate to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state, or must be eligible for a non-resident license as provided by the Act;
    I read it as the two commas, with the 'or' statement afterwards to mean that any one of the three is acceptable.

ETA: Okay, I looked at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf and I see where you are getting your quote as far as residency. I got mine as soon as I moved back to Texas from California, but because I was military, I guess I never officially changed my residency from Texas.

I'm still not sure of why there is a discrepancy between the Texas Administrative Code Rule 6.11 and the 'selected statutes' from the DPS and to tell you the truth, I am not sure which one is correct.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Weird... I just downloaded the PDF from the DPS website and that second sentence wasn't even in there...

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Where in Dallas is your office going to be? How long of a commute are you willing to endure?

You can legally have a concealed & loaded handgun in your vehicle now (without permit, etc.). It's better than nothing while waiting on your CHL.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My in laws have a house for sale in Frisco. If you want a nice almost new home (2005?) with 4 beds 2 baths, pool in the back, next door to the elementary school, give me a PM.

11496 yoakum drive frisco tx 75035 - Google Maps
    Last edited by paramedic70002; June 21st, 2008 at 12:40 AM. Reason: change info
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links