Nevada gun tax as of 7-1-08

This is a discussion on Nevada gun tax as of 7-1-08 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; for some reason this makes me mad. Please read the following news items for important details: -More women getting training for permits than men! - ...

Thread: Nevada gun tax as of 7-1-08

for some reason this makes me mad.

Please read the following news items for important details:

-More women getting training for permits than men!
    - 2008 Reciprocity expansions for CCW
    -CCWs no longer valid for waiving DPS transfer charge : (
    -Get ready to protest the Nevada GUN TAX
    -FNRA dinner August 16th - needs YOU for dinner, fun
    and 1:8 chance to win a gun!

More women getting training for permits than men!
    Since offering FREE* training for women, Armed & Safe classes have been booked since February, with a MAJORITY of women in attendance ($30 cost paid by most, $60 special deal for guys, full scholarships available for those who need it). We will continue this offer IF demand for it continues, so tell your friends to take the class ASAP: June 28th, July 19th, July 26th, August 16th, August 24th. We will be requesting grant money from FRNA for materials to continue this offer. Mark your calendars for August 16th to attend the FRNA fundraising dinner for local pro-gun charities (more below).

2008 Reciprocity for CCW: Nevada has full reciprocity with Florida, Californians can carry in NV on a UT permit ( tell your CA pro-gun friends they can take the 4-hour class in Reno, SAC, or SF BAY area).

CCWs no longer valid for waiving DPS transfer charge : ( Starting July 1st The ATF sent notification letters to Nevada FFL dealers NOT to accept NV CCW permits as a waiver for the NICS ( Brady) checks after July 1st. We do not have all of the answers about why, but we know that we have lost this in the past due to some SOs not doing proper background checks, failing ATF audits. A grassroots effort to get the SOs to accept ATF assistance for compliance restored it for a few years. It appears we have lost it and must fight again.This is a NEVADA GUN TAX!

Get ready to protest the Nevada GUN TAX
    The Department of Public Safety (DPS) has been charging Nevada FFL dealers $25 (passed on to all customers without a CCW) for making a call to the Federal NICS system. This is FREE to any states without a 'middle man', or POC, which means it is a gun tax that benefits only the DPS. This is a duplication of government services, a state tax on ALL firearms purchases (beginning July 1st). It does not have the same confidentiality guarantees as the federal system (which destroys records every 90 days). Nevada State Legislature voted to allow the DPS to become a POC, so we will need to follow a legislative reversal process. Since they are out of session at this time, we will not be able to act on this until Fall. Hopefully by the end of this year, we will be able to eliminate the Nevada gun tax for EVERYONE! We will keep you informed on how to protest ( emails, phone calls, petition, testifying) as soon as we know what action is required.

FNRA dinner August 16th - El Dorado Hotel 5:30pm - needs YOU for dinner, fun and 1:8 chance to win a gun! Imagine 500+ gun-friendly people, with Monica J of KOH emceeing, waiting to have your name drawn to win 75-90 guns! Armed & Safe will have tables reserved - let us know if you would like us to reserve you a seat. Friends of the NRA is dedicated to supporting training programs, range improvements and shooting events. - more than 50% of all profits are guaranteed to fund local projects. With an all-new committee and help from the old committee, giving away more guns than EVER - this dinner is important for our community and the 2nd Amendment. Sponsor packages give you even better odds on winning guns. Dinner Tickets are $50 per person - must be purchased by July 20th for early Bird Drawing. M1-A rifle is the Grand Prize- need not be present to win. We need advertisers for the 6,000 mailers going out to NRA members by 6/26- ads start at $125. We need volunteers for the committee, especially for the dinner: greeting/seating , decorating, displaying guns, running games, auction help, etc. Please reply if you can help.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Here in Utah if you do not have a CFP, it only cost $8.50. Man you folks are getting ripped off.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

This may be the norm in other places,however. I had to pay 25$ for another background check in WV when I purchased my second piece(I already had my CCW,but it didn't matter).
    I might focus more on the background charge fee more than them running another background check at purchase, because some of the CCW info(as far as someone being revoked) may be slow to emerge.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Nevada sure seems to be turning into East California, especially down here in Vegas.

I have noticed that most of the dealers around here have started charging $25 for the NICS check but the cost is waived if you are approved and purchase a gun. This is just a response for so many coming in wasting the dealers time hoping they could get approved by this dealer knowing full well they had something on their record or either had been turned down several times before.

Our SC CWP substitutes for the NICS. You folks in NV are getting ripped off.

our CHL isn't a substitute for the NICS check here in Ohio but we don't have a charge for it either. We just call the feds directly.

i take it it is illegal for stores to skip the state office and call the NICS in directly?

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I knew there was something fishy. I hate this $25 charge. I've bought 2 handguns recently without paying the charge because I have my CFP, but that will end the first. I didn't realize it was the "DPS" making this charge. What a joke!

Our legislature tried to fix our permit renewal rules last year to prevent this from happening. However the bill with the new renewal rules was ammended to also include a near doubling of CCW application fees. As a result, the bill was defeated. The majority of NV legislators (both Republican and Democrat) are pro-gun and pro-CCW. However a couple senior members in charge of commitees ruined many good bills last year, including this one.

This will defninitely be addressed during the 2009 legislative session.

im sure this will be talked about during the nra dinner. i hope to see a lot of people at this event
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

State Tax

Looking at some stats today, I read that there are 25,000 ccw's in Nevada. How many are for actual ccw or for gun buyers to beat the 25.00 dollar fee; how many were acquired for both?

That's alot of money at $25.00 dollars. A ccw permit loses the state money!

$25 dollar tax, per gun!

The state of Nevada is in a budget crunch. I think most of our reps and senators knew if the recent bill passed, which would of kept our exempt satus for ccw holders (no nics fee), our Point of Contact personel (not all state have POC) or some other state law enforcement agency's budget would suffer. Now this just could be my twisted mind.

The way they (State Gov.) made sure they could collect the (GUN TAX) was to make us believe that the fee increases for ccw permits etc. was why the bill was defeated.

I even supported the defeat of that bill. If I would have known that by defeat I was the loser instead of the winner.

Maybe I should have known.

I wonder how much more money will go into the state budget now from this tax, or will it be less then what would have been collected if the bill passed (increase in ccw fees).

Anyway, I can't remember being informed that the failure of the fee increase would re-instate the nics charge for ccw's to buy new guns. I should read the news more often.

So Nevada doesn't meet the federal NICS requirement for CCW holders, when our state can just use the federal nics at the FBI, for what? Free, or the FFL dealers phone bill?

Now if this is true, why would any state recognize a Nevada CCW.

I wonder how many bean counters were involved.

VIP Member
    Yup... makes me mad too.

It's too bad we even have to get a permit to exercise our Constitutional rights in the first place! But that's another issue.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

i too wanted ccw fee's to stay down. now it will cost me a lot more if i get the guns i want.
    oh well not much i can do at this point.

New state Funds Nevada

Well, if I buy a gun today I have to pay 25.00 to the state.

I bought one last Saturday.

I read today in the Nevada Papers that the UNR band is going to fold because of the state budget problems.

So maybe all of us in Nevada should write our our state reps. and ask them to give the extra money made on the new gun tax to the UNR band program.

UNR could promote it on campus and the University could ask all parents of students to go buy a gun for the band. In fact, if it was promoted state wide, the band could be saved at UNR.

I also read where the University says the English department and other departments must be saved before the UNR band.

Well, I think the Point of Contact for background checks should go before the band at UNR.

Might as well use this new tax for helping our students at the University of Nevada Reno.

hell im down for helpin the band out. i enjoy them at the football games. always got season tickets and it wont be the same without the band playing there. keep the cannon blue.

it took me till today to stash away enough money for a kimber. now $25 extra. being $25 short ill have to wait till thursday to get it. ima go crazy havin to wait a couple of days

Sponsored Links