It Finally Happened To Me

This is a discussion on It Finally Happened To Me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sticks It's a Concealed Carry Permit, not a Get Outta Jail (or ticket) free card. Sorry you got popped on such a ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It Finally Happened To Me

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    It's a Concealed Carry Permit, not a Get Outta Jail (or ticket) free card.

Sorry you got popped on such a BS infraction. Must be quota time.
    Yeah, what a load of BS. Imagine, the nerve of that cop, actually enforcing the law. Doesn't he know that the "STOP" on the big red sign actually means "Do whatever you want, everyone else does?"

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good!

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Good. You're lucky your in Colorado. Here in PA they would ask you to step out, take your weapon and run it thru an "Imaginary" database that I believe is in violation of PA code 6111.4.

That’s part of the reason I'm glad PA has no duty to inform. I used to not care, but after the Dickson City incent I do care now.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    good encounter,

funny, I learned how to drive in California and after school got out, my friends and I would sometimes go to the rolling-stop-trap intersection and watch tickets be given out. Not one or two, but continuously. The police car would sit just out of view of the driver, but in view of the front of the car. Needless to say, I learned my lesson.

A few months ago, I was properly stopped at a 4 way Stop sign and an insane bicyclist flew by. It is amazing how reckless they can be. Better safe then splat.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I think that if you run stop signs and get caught most LEO's figure it's how you drive and will give you a money ticket to make you think twice,the extra time to stop and look may keep you from pulling out in front of that bike or car that kinda blended in
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I tapped the brake and executed a "California stop" and proceeded through the intersection.

I acknowledged that I was aware and made no excuses.

I just wish he had cut me some slack on that failure to stop.
    "California" stop without the California* excuse (feeling of entitlement to special consideration). Kudos.

* BTW, I lived in California for a long time, which included a decade of legal/CHL carry. BTDT.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

After arm chair quarterbacking a number of forum accountings of LE contact it finally happened to me. My dog and I were on our way to the store and taking the back streets. When we came to a stop sign at the intersection of two traffic free streets, I tapped the brake and executed a "California stop" and proceeded through the intersection.

From out of nowhere came the Colorado State Patrol and in response to his flashing lights I pulled over, placed my hands on the steering wheel and waited. "Good afternoon sir, were you aware that you failed to come to a complete stop at the stop sign" said the officer. I acknowledged that I was aware and made no excuses. When the officer asked for my license and registration I handed him these documents plus my concealed carry permit.

The officer examined the CCW permit and handed it back to me and asked me if I was carrying a weapon. I told him that I was carrying. He asked me where my weapon was and I explained that it was holstered on my belt, inside my waistband on my right hand side. He then told me to leave my weapon holstered while he returned to his car for a few minutes. In about 3 minutes he returned with a citation for me for failing to stop at a stop sign, commented about my little dog and wished me a safe afternoon.

At no time was he more than mildly interested that I was carrying a weapon. There is absolutely nothing remarkable about this encounter which IMO is exactly as it should be. I just wish he had cut me some slack on that failure to stop.
    Good job! Are you required to inform law enforcement officers that you are carrying when you get stopped in Colorado?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    This database also includes other dangerous persons sooo,
    Criminal database entry?
    dangerous persons???? That bothers me.

In Virginia the field it show up in is the same one that includes active LEOs, retired LEOs Conservators of the Peace, etc. -- i.e., the OK to be carry concealed list. Definitely not a bad group to be lumped with.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by calmp9 View Post
    Good job! Are you required to inform law enforcement officers that you are carrying when you get stopped in Colorado?
    Actually we are not. I think it's wise however to produce the permit and let the officer ask any questions he needs answered regarding your carry weapon. I'd expect that no LEO in the state of Colorado would appreciate surprises.
    Last edited by wmhawth; June 22nd, 2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Spelling

The one officer that stopped me for my expired tags (still in the console) had 0 reaction. I waited until he came back from running my license and such to give him my CC card and asked him "In general, since the CO law does not require us to provide you with the permit, how do you officers prefer it to come up"

"When I run you plates, I get a hit in the CBI (Colorado Bureau of Investigation) that could indicate a warrant, person of interest, and so on, but unless I pull the records, I have no idea what specifically it is. So, yes, we prefer that it is given up front to indicate why you are in the CBI list, but you are not required to."

He said nothing about what and where or even if I was carrying.

And Colorado was not supposed to keep any list at all. Only the issuing counties were supposed to have a list, and only in the office files. Some sort of "Glitch" (yeah right) in the detailed background check involving fingerprints and weapons...
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I haven't been stopped yet -- if and when, I hope it's as smooth as your experience.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

wmhawth -

You handled yourself perfectly. I agree the LEO could have given you a warning vs the citation. Ah well, can't win 'em all :)

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    wmhawth -

You handled yourself perfectly. I agree the LEO could have given you a warning vs the citation. Ah well, can't win 'em all :)
    I always knew what I would do if stopped by the police. What pleased me about this encounter is what the cop did (or didn't do). No hysterical reaction to a legally carried concealed weapon. No demands to disarm....no hassle. I'm reasonably confident that this would be the case with most all the LEOs in my little corner of the planet.

I always knew what I would do if stopped by the police. What pleased me about this encounter is what the cop did (or didn't do). No hysterical reaction to a legally carried concealed weapon. No demands to disarm....no hassle. I'm reasonably confident that this would be the case with most all the LEOs in my little corner of the planet.
    I can only hope to get the same treament (if ever stopped) by a LEO here in Va.

Sounds resonable

I have never been stopped ccw but have been stopped enroute to my house from the gun club. that was a royal mess. but my brother has been stopped once or twice for minor infractions while carrying the most memorable response from an leo after recieving both liscenses was "don't show me yours and i won't show ya mine" just shows alot of the reaction depends on the cop and i have generally found age and experience to play into the reaction as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links