It Finally Happened To Me

This is a discussion on It Finally Happened To Me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, lets beat this ticket! Did you ever figure out where the LE was parked. Here in NY the law states "You must come to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It Finally Happened To Me

Ok, lets beat this ticket! Did you ever figure out where the LE was parked. Here in NY the law states "You must come to a complete stop before the Stop sign". Makes sense right? But most people included LE and the Public will never check this out. But It does not state in the Vehicle and Traffic Law in NYS,anywhere how much before the white line you must stop. Let me explain further, I am sure that you being a law abiding citizen, you made a complete stop 100 feet before the stop sign/white line and speed up and thru the Stop sign/white line. The Le only sees you running theu the SS/WL because he is positioned close to the SS/WL and can not see up the block. The judges here will throw the summons out of court. Dimissed!. The Le can not and should not testify falsely. He should state that he did not observe what happen prior to the SS/WL. So I would triple check VTL in Calf, would not be suprised if there is not metion of distance. Any Questions PM me.

2. Remove Ads

^^^spoken like a lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    I have never been stopped ccw but have been stopped enroute to my house from the gun club. that was a royal mess. but my brother has been stopped once or twice for minor infractions while carrying the most memorable response from an leo after recieving both liscenses was "don't show me yours and i won't show ya mine" just shows alot of the reaction depends on the cop and i have generally found age and experience to play into the reaction as well.

I tend to believe geography plays into it as well. I'm not sure but from what I read on the forum it would seem that we in the west might have it a bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    Just a question,

Does Colorado require CCW presentation if contacted by LEO?

If so, do they require it at all times or only when carrying?

If only when carrying, why do officers ask... "are you carrying, where is the weapon?"

I realize asking is the right thing to do, but like my instructor told us.......If you aren't carrying, you don't have to present your CWP. If you present while carrying, which is required by SC law, they will ALWAYS ask "Do you have a weapon on you?" or something to the same effect. Then he pulled an Engvall...... "Here's your sign!"
    I'm in Colorado and specifically called the State Police to ask how they liked CCW handled. I responded in another thread here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...36-post65.html

Here is my comment from the other post: "I'm in Colorado. I just called the Colorado State Police's Head Quarters (303.239.4400) and talked with a Trooper on what is preferred in Colorado. He stated they prefer you tell them up front you have a valid CCW and are carrying a weapon. He stated if you have a valid CCW, your license is tagged already with that info and they will be notified of this information once your license is run for "officer safety" reasons. CSP prefers you let them know up front. They will respect it if you do.

I asked if this thinking carried down to all levels of law enforcement, i.e. Sheriff and Local Police. He stated "yes", "I'm sure they would all appreciate it"."
    Glock G19 - Generation 2 (our first)
    Glock G26 - Generation 3
    Glock G21 - Generation 3 (Bought 8/2010)
    Taurus PT709 Slim - mostly used as a bug (Sold 8/2010, did not like the quality after owning it for a few months)

Quote Originally Posted by dkpeppard View Post
    I'm in Colorado and specifically called the State Police to ask how they liked CCW handled. I responded in another thread here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...36-post65.html

Here is my comment from the other post: "I'm in Colorado. I just called the Colorado State Police's Head Quarters (303.239.4400) and talked with a Trooper on what is preferred in Colorado. He stated they prefer you tell them up front you have a valid CCW and are carrying a weapon. He stated if you have a valid CCW, your license is tagged already with that info and they will be notified of this information once your license is run for "officer safety" reasons. CSP prefers you let them know up front. They will respect it if you do.

I asked if this thinking carried down to all levels of law enforcement, i.e. Sheriff and Local Police. He stated "yes", "I'm sure they would all appreciate it"."
    I'm sure that's true. I do think the best way to inform is to simply hand the officer your permit and then answer his questions with regard to your weapon. I don't want to excite an officer by making funny speeches such as "Good morning officer. I'm required to inform you that I'm a liscenced yadayadayada", although I do understand it's required in some states.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    now that sounds like how a traffic stop should run....sorry about the ticket...

wouldn't it be nice if the officer stopped you and was surprised that you DIDN'T have a concealed handgun...what a wonderful world that would be
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You only made one error...the stop sign Those suckers aren't cheap anymore...I just got my first 'parking ticket' in 40 years...$50...damn!

Uh, the stop...sounds like a reasonable officer...like it should be!

Sorry about the ticket...
    Definitely not cheap anymore. Failing to stop can hit the 300+ range here in California, depending on the infraction and the county where it occurred. Then, there's more bucks for traffic school, if eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldershrek View Post
    ^^^spoken like a lawyer
    I could have been a laywer but I would have to take a cut in pay, and all the bad lawyer jokes. Owning a car rental company here in NYC, I read the Vehicle Traffic Law book like people read the bible. If you ride a motorcycle here in NY the law states "A helmet must be worn" makes sense right? If I were wearing a helmet on my ankle would I be legal? Answer Yes, 100 % legal. Stupid yes but legal. So is stopping a block or two before a stop sign and rolling right thru it. Law just states must stop for sign. What the intent of the law is and how it interpretedd is 2 diffrent things. 2A.

yeah unless the cop did not have an obstructed view of him at all and could see that he didn't stop anywhere. Then there goes that theory.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Ok, lets beat this ticket! Did you ever figure out where the LE was parked. Here in NY the law states "You must come to a complete stop before the Stop sign". Makes sense right? But most people included LE and the Public will never check this out. But It does not state in the Vehicle and Traffic Law in NYS,anywhere how much before the white line you must stop. Let me explain further, I am sure that you being a law abiding citizen, you made a complete stop 100 feet before the stop sign/white line and speed up and thru the Stop sign/white line. The Le only sees you running theu the SS/WL because he is positioned close to the SS/WL and can not see up the block. The judges here will throw the summons out of court. Dimissed!. The Le can not and should not testify falsely. He should state that he did not observe what happen prior to the SS/WL. So I would triple check VTL in Calf, would not be suprised if there is not metion of distance. Any Questions PM me.
    I think this is just taking advantage of a loophole that idiot politicians put it when they drafted the law. 100 ft or 33.3 yards before the Stop sign/white line does not allow a driver to determine whether it is safe to drive across the intersection. I don't think the LEO would be testifying falsely. He obversed you not making a complete stop at a stop sign. It seems like you are going by the letter of the law, not the spirit or intent of the law. OMO.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

When I lived in NJ, the law for stop sign was that you had to stop before the sign and, let's say that a string of 3 or 4 cars had stopped behind the sign; once it was safe to proceed and assuming that you had stopped in a position to observe traffic on the intersecting roadway, all the cars which could safely proceed could do so, without having to stop again, once they reached the stop sign. A pretty good idea and a good way to keep traffic from building up unnecessarily.

But out here in Colo, every vehicle "shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of the approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering it."
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

When I first got my concealed carry permit in Indiana WAAAY back in 1971 (Indiana issues at age 18) I was working at a gas station and we had a couple state cops that stopped in for gas and minor repairs. One night I asked them if I should inform up that I was armed or not say anything if the cop didn't notice. I'll never forget the grin on the sergeant’s face as he responded "All depends on how you feel about having a cocked .357 magnum screwed into your left ear". In Indiana the permit law dates back to 1934 so every cop has lived with it their entire career and it is no big deal and the many encounters I had were all very pleasant (yea I have a lead foot and was on the road servicing phone systems for 20 years).

Here in Missouri our CCW is linked to our DLs and our status will show whenever the DL is run. The wife and I had been to a funeral in NE Iowa and on our way home at about 10:00 PM and had just crossed back into Missouri when I passed a MOHP cruiser hiding on the inside of a curve in a cut, I was 9 over and saw him start after me after I passed him. I maintained my speed, he paced me for short time and then turned on his lights and I pulled over.

I turned on the interior light, rolled down the window and turned off the engine and placed my hands at 10 & 2 on the wheel. He asked if there was a reason I was speeding, I explained we were returning from a funeral and I was pushing hard to get home (still 3 hours away) so we could get some sleep before having to go to work in the morning and was staying between 7 and 9 over. He asked for my DL and insurance card and said he was going to write a warning ticket. I said “Just for your information, when you run my license you will see I have my CCW endorsement, since we just came down from Iowa my sidearm is still locked in the trunk. I was going to rearm at the next town when I gassed up” and he went back to his cruiser. When he returned he gave me my documentation, sans said written warning and said “That station ahead can be a little rough this time of night, I’ll stay behind you for a minute if you want to arm up now”. So I popped the trunk loaded my 1911 and put it on, waved as I got in the car and headed on home.

Glad to hear it went well.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    “That station ahead can be a little rough this time of night, I’ll stay behind you for a minute if you want to arm up now”. So I popped the trunk loaded my 1911 and put it on, waved as I got in the car and headed on home.
    That was totally cool of him.
    Glock G19 - Generation 2 (our first)
    Glock G26 - Generation 3
    Glock G21 - Generation 3 (Bought 8/2010)
    Taurus PT709 Slim - mostly used as a bug (Sold 8/2010, did not like the quality after owning it for a few months)

Just wondering, why is it called a California Stop? I've heard of that here too in NY and never could find out where the name came from. Anyone know?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links