It Finally Happened To Me

This is a discussion on It Finally Happened To Me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JonInNY Just wondering, why is it called a California Stop? I've heard of that here too in NY and never could find ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: It Finally Happened To Me

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Just wondering, why is it called a California Stop? I've heard of that here too in NY and never could find out where the name came from. Anyone know?
    If I knew the answer I'd tell you in a New York minute.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    That's funny, although I do know where "NY Minute" comes from- FoxNews in NYC (WNEW NY) used to have a broadcast of local interest stories in 60 seconds. I believe they coined the phrase.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    I think this is just taking advantage of a loophole that idiot politicians put it when they drafted the law. 100 ft or 33.3 yards before the Stop sign/white line does not allow a driver to determine whether it is safe to drive across the intersection. I don't think the LEO would be testifying falsely. He obversed you not making a complete stop at a stop sign. It seems like you are going by the letter of the law, not the spirit or intent of the law. OMO.
    Agreed but loopholes like that have sent many guilt a free. OJ

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Just wondering, why is it called a California Stop? I've heard of that here too in NY and never could find out where the name came from. Anyone know?
    You silver tounged devils

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Agreed but loopholes like that have sent many guilt a free. OJ

Yep. I agree. Loopholes allow guilty parties to go free. That said, I'm surprised that the judges in your area frequently dismiss the tickets of failure to stop at a stop sign. If it's a habit for judges to always dismiss, I'm surprised that the LEO'S will still write those tickets. If I knew that 99% of the time that I write a ticket for failure to stop, that the ticket would be dismissed, I would stop writing those tickets. OMO.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

California stop

California stops are also known as Hollywood Stops. Hollywood being in California they became California stops. Why are they called Hollywood stops? Because when you slow down and ease thru the sign without actually coming to a full stop you are just "acting" like you stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by karlmc10 View Post
    California stops are also known as Hollywood Stops. Hollywood being in California they became California stops. Why are they called Hollywood stops? Because when you slow down and ease thru the sign without actually coming to a full stop you are just "acting" like you stopped.
    I like that explaination. It almost sounds plausible!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Watch 20/20 tonight. I hear the California stop is going to be a topic of discussion for John Stossel. Should be good.

Smile 588

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    From one western Colo guy to another, I'm sorry he didn't cut you some slack too, especially since there was no cross traffic.

Ever since I got my permit, I have been extremely careful, maybe to the point of being paranoid, about traffic laws. I took my course over on the Front Range and the instructor said that some of the Sheriffs over there used traffic tickets as an excuse to revoke CHLs.
    Obviously there was some traffic, you just didn't see him--the trooper

Quote Originally Posted by 588 View Post
    Obviously there was some traffic, you just didn't see him--the trooper
    I hear ya, but you should see the western Colo terrain, it's mostly pretty barren. There are so few main roads to begin with and so little traffic. Most of the intersections out here you can see miles in each direction.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    Watch 20/20 tonight. I hear the California stop is going to be a topic of discussion for John Stossel. Should be good.
    John Stossel's e-mail said that he was doing a "Give Me a Break" segment on LEO that write tickets for California stops and then do it themselves. I wasn't really trying to trick people into watching an entire hour about transgender children. Sorry.

presenting my permit

I acknowledged that I was aware and made no excuses. When the officer asked for my license and registration I handed him these documents plus my concealed carry permit.
    I'm aware that this question has been asked, please bear with me here. The Colorado issue has been well covered. Since I live in Connecticut, I wondered what I should do (here) if instructed to show licence registration etc. Is it recommended that I present the permit?

Do some laws require it?

What's prudent?

Does anyone know if CT cops can tell on there computers if you're carrying?
    Ruger P89 (9mm)
    Beretta 9000s (9mm)
    Beretta Tomcat 3230 (.32)
    Sig Sauer Mosquito (.22)

Happened to me just like that in the Great State of Indiana!

After arm chair quarterbacking a number of forum accountings of LE contact it finally happened to me. My dog and I were on our way to the store and taking the back streets. When we came to a stop sign at the intersection of two traffic free streets, I tapped the brake and executed a "California stop" and proceeded through the intersection.

From out of nowhere came the Colorado State Patrol and in response to his flashing lights I pulled over, placed my hands on the steering wheel and waited. "Good afternoon sir, were you aware that you failed to come to a complete stop at the stop sign" said the officer. I acknowledged that I was aware and made no excuses. When the officer asked for my license and registration I handed him these documents plus my concealed carry permit.

The officer examined the CCW permit and handed it back to me and asked me if I was carrying a weapon. I told him that I was carrying. He asked me where my weapon was and I explained that it was holstered on my belt, inside my waistband on my right hand side. He then told me to leave my weapon holstered while he returned to his car for a few minutes. In about 3 minutes he returned with a citation for me for failing to stop at a stop sign, commented about my little dog and wished me a safe afternoon.

At no time was he more than mildly interested that I was carrying a weapon. There is absolutely nothing remarkable about this encounter which IMO is exactly as it should be. I just wish he had cut me some slack on that failure to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by gvhorwitz View Post
    I'm aware that this question has been asked, please bear with me here. The Colorado issue has been well covered. Since I live in Connecticut, I wondered what I should do (here) if instructed to show licence registration etc. Is it recommended that I present the permit?

Do some laws require it?

What's prudent?

Does anyone know if CT cops can tell on there computers if you're carrying?
    Bookmark these links for future reference...
    Handgunlaw.us
    Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links