It Finally Happened To Me

This is a discussion on It Finally Happened To Me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After arm chair quarterbacking a number of forum accountings of LE contact it finally happened to me. My dog and I were on our way ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: It Finally Happened To Me

It Finally Happened To Me

After arm chair quarterbacking a number of forum accountings of LE contact it finally happened to me. My dog and I were on our way to the store and taking the back streets. When we came to a stop sign at the intersection of two traffic free streets, I tapped the brake and executed a "California stop" and proceeded through the intersection.

From out of nowhere came the Colorado State Patrol and in response to his flashing lights I pulled over, placed my hands on the steering wheel and waited. "Good afternoon sir, were you aware that you failed to come to a complete stop at the stop sign" said the officer. I acknowledged that I was aware and made no excuses. When the officer asked for my license and registration I handed him these documents plus my concealed carry permit.

The officer examined the CCW permit and handed it back to me and asked me if I was carrying a weapon. I told him that I was carrying. He asked me where my weapon was and I explained that it was holstered on my belt, inside my waistband on my right hand side. He then told me to leave my weapon holstered while he returned to his car for a few minutes. In about 3 minutes he returned with a citation for me for failing to stop at a stop sign, commented about my little dog and wished me a safe afternoon.

At no time was he more than mildly interested that I was carrying a weapon. There is absolutely nothing remarkable about this encounter which IMO is exactly as it should be. I just wish he had cut me some slack on that failure to stop.
    Last edited by JD; June 21st, 2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Spaced out text for easier reading.

2. Remove Ads

Textbook. That's pretty much the way it should happen every time.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

From one western Colo guy to another, I'm sorry he didn't cut you some slack too, especially since there was no cross traffic.

Ever since I got my permit, I have been extremely careful, maybe to the point of being paranoid, about traffic laws. I took my course over on the Front Range and the instructor said that some of the Sheriffs over there used traffic tickets as an excuse to revoke CHLs.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

You only made one error...the stop sign Those suckers aren't cheap anymore...I just got my first 'parking ticket' in 40 years...$50...damn!

Uh, the stop...sounds like a reasonable officer...like it should be!

Sorry about the ticket...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    Textbook. That's pretty much the way it should happen every time.
    Well......maybe a warning vice a citation would make it a 'mobetta', textbook stop
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Indeed, that is the way it should be! Excluding the ticket, of course!

Just a question,

Does Colorado require CCW presentation if contacted by LEO?

If so, do they require it at all times or only when carrying?

If only when carrying, why do officers ask... "are you carrying, where is the weapon?"

I realize asking is the right thing to do, but like my instructor told us.......If you aren't carrying, you don't have to present your CWP. If you present while carrying, which is required by SC law, they will ALWAYS ask "Do you have a weapon on you?" or something to the same effect. Then he pulled an Engvall...... "Here's your sign!"
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I consciously try to avoid making rolling stops when I drive -- sometimes you can see that all is clear, but the fact that you missed a CSP vehicle says enough for the trooper to issue the ticket. I like hearing that you were not disarmed.

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    Just a question,

If only when carrying, why do officers ask... "are you carrying, where is the weapon?"

I realize asking is the right thing to do, but like my instructor told us.......If you aren't carrying, you don't have to present your CWP. If you present while carrying, which is required by SC law, they will ALWAYS ask "Do you have a weapon on you?" or something to the same effect. Then he pulled an Engvall...... "Here's your sign!"
    Colorado law requires you to present your license "if asked" by the officer. I consider it the wise thing to do at the get-go.

Just a question,

Not required to show and only required to have the CHL on person when carrying. But most of the County Sheriffs send in each CHL to the state where the holder's name is placed in a database. This procedure was supposed to 'sunset' awhile ago but when the 'Blues' took over, they extended the expiration.

This database also includes other dangerous persons sooo, if I'm ever stopped, you can bet I'm showing that LEO my CHL so he knows exactly why I'm on the 'dangerous persons' list.

Criminal database entry?
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

It's a Concealed Carry Permit, not a Get Outta Jail (or ticket) free card.

Sorry you got popped on such a BS infraction. Must be quota time.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

It sounds like the stop went as it should, and I agree, it's a CCW Permit not a "get out of jail free card."

You did the moving violation, pay the fine, go to Traffic School, or fight it in court, it's your choice. It irks me when people think their CCW Permit is some ID Card that signifies they can violate traffic laws or that it's some form of "Insta Good Guy Card". All it is is a peice of laminated paper that allows you to carry a concealed weapon in certain locales.

Take care, stay safe and stop at the Stop sign next time.

Biker

I don't think anyone was expecting to get off with the card, it just would've been nice for it to have happened.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

I don't think anyone was expecting to get off with the card, it just would've been nice for it to have happened.
    Nope. Not me. I've read some forum posts describing nightmare situations where the officer made a big deal out of a concealed weapon and actually disarmed the ccw carrier. This did not happen to me and that's a good thing. IMO this was a textbook encounter that I had with a completely professional patrol officer. I "did the crime, I'll do the time".

The way it should be.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links