Gun Law Scofflaw/Coworker

This is a discussion on Gun Law Scofflaw/Coworker within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jofrdo Just to clarify my original post: We work at a NASA research center. It is prohibited to carry firearms or other ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun Law Scofflaw/Coworker

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    Just to clarify my original post:
    We work at a NASA research center. It is prohibited to carry firearms or other weapons onto the center and is a felony if we are caught doing so. I usually don't bring a pistol to work, but when I do I just leave the gun in the car, park outside the gate and bicycle onto the center (I keep a bike locked outside the gate for just that purpose). Rob had been not only bringing a concealed handgun through the gate, he had been conceal carrying around town without even knowing if it were legal.
    NASA Security does random vehicle checks. Your new contract manager is likely to find himself wearing a shiny new pair of handcuffs, courtesy of NASA Security or NASA OIG Special Agents.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    We work at a NASA research center.
    Wow, my dad worked at JPL and I would go visit him when i was a kid. Security would do a quick search (open doors, trunk, and any large boxes/luggage) of about 1/3 of the vehicles entering or exiting the facility. That was pre 9/11 too!

That guy is lucky to have a friend like you save his behind from getting arrested.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    NASA Security does random vehicle checks. Your new contract manager is likely to find himself wearing a shiny new pair of handcuffs, courtesy of NASA Security or NASA OIG Special Agents.
    Gonzo
    I respectfully point out the following.
    We work at a NASA research center. It is prohibited to carry firearms or other weapons onto the center and is a felony if we are caught doing so. I usually don't bring a pistol to work, but when I do I just leave the gun in the car, park outside the gate and bicycle onto the center (I keep a bike locked outside the gate for just that purpose). Rob had been not only bringing a concealed handgun through the gate, he had been conceal carrying around town without even knowing if it were legal. He has also been concealing in restaurants that serve alcohol, which is still illegal in Virginia (we came so close to getting it changed this past legislative session but Governor Kaine vetoed it).

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Sounds like the word is out in the office and the "anti-" was actually doing him a favor by warning him...because I suspect his vehicle and himself would become a target . And since he was a new contract hire, I suspect that when he went through security and/or in processing to get badged, he was given the do and don'ts.

Rick

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I work for an engineering consulting company on a Federal installation. We hired a new project manager on a contract basis;
    (blink) A NASA project manager(???) who plans /that/ poorly?

Sloppiness, stupidity, and a habit of making assumptions in one part of a person's life tends to spread out into all parts of that person's life. I would not want to trust my life to anything he is involved with.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    (blink) A NASA project manager(???) who plans /that/ poorly?

Sloppiness, stupidity, and a habit of making assumptions in one part of a person's life tends to spread out into all parts of that person's life. I would not want to trust my life to anything he is involved with.
    Those that can't do, Manage
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Sounds like the guy didn't pay too much attention in his Texas CHL class, or else his instructor did a poor job. Of course, judging from the sort of misinformation I've heard from a couple of alleged Texas "instructors" on this forum, I suppose the latter circumstance could be the most likely.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Sounds like the guy didn't pay too much attention in his Texas CHL class, or else his instructor did a poor job. Of course, judging from the sort of misinformation....
    Not to pick on any particular State, but I had a CWP holder from an adjacent east coast State tell me his instructor told them that the difference between reciprocity and recognition was that if a State just recognized his State's permit he had to follow that States Laws, but reciprocity meant that he did have to worry about that States laws, just follow his home state's laws.

Tried to explain
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

There were 2 or 3 comments about weapons being restricted on military bases.

Dang that sounds funny!

"Yes, this is an Army Ranger training base and we DO NOT ALLOW WEAPONS HERE!"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Sounds like the guy didn't pay too much attention in his Texas CHL class, or else his instructor did a poor job. Of course, judging from the sort of misinformation I've heard from a couple of alleged Texas "instructors" on this forum, I suppose the latter circumstance could be the most likely.
    however, the chl instructors can't help it if states allow/don't allow and changes are made to this list from time to time, not CHL instructors fault he didn't check on things before moving to a new state
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    however, the chl instructors can't help it if states allow/don't allow and changes are made to this list from time to time, not CHL instructors fault he didn't check on things before moving to a new state
    True, but I've seen far too many errors in basic info dished out by "instructors", that can't be blamed on changes.

Still, it behooves the individual to confirm for themselves what the current applicable laws are, for whatever jurisdiction they find themselves.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Consider that what an instructor "said" and what in individual may have "heard" can certainly be two different things. I guess I'd give the instructor the benifit of the doubt before taking a permitee's word. A friendly call to the instructor for clarification would be in order. The instructor may not believe or have said that at all and it could be great feedback to the instructor to know they need to be more clear on that point.

Sounds like your buddy "Rob" just plain screwed up. Having a permit to CC comes with responsibilities and an understanding of what is legal and what isn’t wherever you are; and he choose to disregard what is acceptable. His only defense after he got jacked up would be ignorance… which isn’t a defense.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I would also ask what kind of "federal installation" it was. I have never seen an Army post, for instance, where CCW was not prohibited.
    I have a ID CCL and went on an air force base in WA. When the guard at check in asked for a DL, I pulled it out. The other person with me from work saw my CCL and said "Why do you have TWO DLs?!?!" I felt I had to respond to that comment so I said "I only have one, that is my CCL." To which the guard quickly asked "Are you carrying?!?!!" I said "No, WA does not recognize the ID CCL. I would have left it in the car anyway so it would not have made a difference, I'm not on the base yet." The guard said "Oh yes it would, you are on the base when you turned off the highway. Darn, I was looking to bust someone today. Your ass would have been mine!" He looked very disappointed.

A few years back ...

... I was a "contractor" at a rather large AFB in Calif. Back then, (~1978 through 1995) a civilian contractor could use the base range whenever there was a rangemaster on duty and no military training was in progress. So I took my base ID over the the range shack, signed up for the range safety course, passed, and got my "range card". At the time, that range card was a "get out of jail free" card for bringing a weapon onto the base. Might not be the case, any more, since 20010911.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links