Gun Law Scofflaw/Coworker

This is a discussion on Gun Law Scofflaw/Coworker within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work for an engineering consulting company on a Federal installation. We hired a new project manager on a contract basis; his home is in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Law Scofflaw/Coworker

Gun Law Scofflaw/Coworker

I work for an engineering consulting company on a Federal installation. We hired a new project manager on a contract basis; his home is in Texas and he's living in a hotel while working for us in Virginia. I heard through the office grapevine that "Rob" (name changed to protect the guilty) had been reluctant to leave his handgun in his hotel room and so had been bringing it to work in his truck. Apparently one of the antis in the office told him that was a felony and that we are all subject to random vehicle searches.

I took Rob aside and said he shouldn't be getting his gun information from an anti. Turns out he has a Texas carry permit, so I called up the Virginia State Police website to show him that VA honors his permit. I went through our laws about restaraunt carry, school and courthouse prohibitions and loaned him my paperback book on Virginia Gun Laws. I found it hard to believe that he was here carrying concealed without the least concern as to whether it was legal!

2. Remove Ads

What kind of "federal installation" are we talking about here?

Jofrdo, you did your good deed to help a fellow ccw permit holder . Your co-worker should have known better but I'm happy you took the time to show him.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Thanks for educating him, you are doing everyone a favor.

Out of curiosity, you say you work on a Federal Installation. Does that mean firearm possession is prohibited (like with post offices and court houses?)
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I would also ask what kind of "federal installation" it was. I have never seen an Army post, for instance, where CCW was not prohibited. I wonder if it was prohibited at the site of the OP?
    Regards,
    Jerry

jofrdo,

If you're on a "federal installation", it doesn't matter what VA law is b/c you're on US gov't property. I think what sigman31620 is hinting at is that all military installations are weapons-free zones (unless it was issued as part of your job) and that most (if not all) federally owned/operated buildings are off-limits to weapons as well.

Be extremely sure you are correct before giving the "OK" to this, as it sounds fishy. Please don't take this as a smack-down. I applaud you for trying to do the right thing. The last thing you want is "Rob" to get caught doing he shouldn't be doing and drag you into this.

Mi dos centavos,
    Herk
    Last edited by Herknav; June 21st, 2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Took too long typing and got beat by everybody else...
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    jofrdo,

If you're on a "federal installation", it doesn't matter what VA law is b/c you're on US gov't property. I think what sigman31620 is hinting at is that all military installations are weapons-free zones (unless it was issued as part of your job) and that most (if not all) federally owned/operated buildings are off-limits to weapons as well.
    BIG +1. State law VERY LIKELY does not apply.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    He violated the first law of concealed carry. Don't tell!
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

A TX CHL is not valid in govt facilities.

ranburr

He violated the first law of concealed carry. Don't tell!

yup. Maybe he shouldn't have one anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    I work for an engineering consulting company on a Federal installation. We hired a new project manager on a contract basis; his home is in Texas and he's living in a hotel while working for us in Virginia. I heard through the office grapevine that "Rob" (name changed to protect the guilty) had been reluctant to leave his handgun in his hotel room and so had been bringing it to work in his truck. Apparently one of the antis in the office told him that was a felony and that we are all subject to random vehicle searches.

I took Rob aside and said he shouldn't be getting his gun information from an anti. Turns out he has a Texas carry permit, so I called up the Virginia State Police website to show him that VA honors his permit. I went through our laws about restaraunt carry, school and courthouse prohibitions and loaned him my paperback book on Virginia Gun Laws. I found it hard to believe that he was here carrying concealed without the least concern as to whether it was legal!
    First of all, I am wondering why this guy told a complete stranger (the anti) that he had a concealed firearm. The idea of a concealed firearm is that no one know about it. If you tell one. you tell all. Now, if this is a Federal building since it's some kind of Federal installation. it's a major no no. If that's the case, he should get what he deserves. Sorry, but that's the law. If not, he does not have to disclose that he has a firearm.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Maybe you skipped part of your story, but I don't see where he thought he was CCing illegally.

Hotel doesn't have a safe?

Could he legally bring half the weapon on the property?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    Your co-worker should have known better but I'm happy you took the time to show him.
    That an anti doesn't know the law is about the only thing about this that doesn't seem strange. Albeit, for most Federal installation this anti might be right -- hey even a blind pig finds an acorn occasionally.

Most of the anti that I've talked to don't have a clue about the law.

Just look at the misinformation out there on the so called "loophole" and how every gun in every state is registered on TV shows -- not to mention those who think unarmed victim zones work.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Just to clarify my original post:
    We work at a NASA research center. It is prohibited to carry firearms or other weapons onto the center and is a felony if we are caught doing so. I usually don't bring a pistol to work, but when I do I just leave the gun in the car, park outside the gate and bicycle onto the center (I keep a bike locked outside the gate for just that purpose). Rob had been not only bringing a concealed handgun through the gate, he had been conceal carrying around town without even knowing if it were legal. He has also been concealing in restaurants that serve alcohol, which is still illegal in Virginia (we came so close to getting it changed this past legislative session but Governor Kaine vetoed it).

Conceal carrying around town turns out to be legal for him since his Texas permit is honored here, but he didn't know that. I try to always be aware of the gun laws wherever I travel so I stay within the law. The point of my post was that I was incredulous that he would bring a gun to another state without even trying to find out if it were legal.

VIP Member
    I hope you pointed him toward DC.com. Sounds like he needs the help he can get here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links