FL Non-Res Acceptable Training Documentation? - Page 2

FL Non-Res Acceptable Training Documentation?

This is a discussion on FL Non-Res Acceptable Training Documentation? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by markush I just received the application and instructions today for Florida's CCW and need some suggestions on training documentation to send them. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FL Non-Res Acceptable Training Documentation?

Quote Originally Posted by markush View Post
    I just received the application and instructions today for Florida's CCW and need some suggestions on training documentation to send them.

I have never gone through a Hunter Safety course of any kind nor had and formal training or participated in any formal competion. What would be the fastest, cheapest way to get a form of documentation that will satisfy Floridaís requirements?

Other than my leo certificate, I gave them a copy of my hunter safety certificate.
    One more step and it's on!

VIP Member
    Markush. My friends from WI working out here in CT were going to get a FL non-res. They got the package and saw in there that they needed a permit already from any state before FL would issue to them. they called and I called a few day later and they said he would need a permit before they would issue.[ I just looked and could not see it in the FL Application instruction book.] I sent for mine on 1/27/07 maybe there is a new book out. We went and received the UT non-res permit which also covered MN which is right next door to you. Please make the call [850-245-5691] before you do the leg work and send it off. Here in CT the course is around $130 give or take. Good Luck.

The NRA classes don't seem to be a set amount. I saw Basic Pistol ranging from 50-130 in my area. You could possibly also take one of the NRA's 4 hour classes (gun safety in the home I think) and save money possibly. You FL folks may know better what applies to your state. I just needed an NRA class for WV,didn't matter which one.
    It seems the Utah one you needed the class specifically through a UT-certified instructor. Any way to get UT without going through one of their instructors(or military)?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Markush,

The cheapest way is to get your hunters' safety course. I see that you are in Wisconsin - here is a link to the Wi and FL state sites:
    WDNR - Upcoming Recreational Safety Classes

Which Hunter Safety Course Is Right For You?

For Wi the fee is $10, in FL it is free. A bit better than the $230.

You may want to check out this site for the applicable laws; FL requires non resident licensees to hold a resident license in a state they honor. Handgunlaw.us

Good luck.
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    Markush. My friends from WI working out here in CT were going to get a FL non-res. They got the package and saw in there that they needed a permit already from any state before FL would issue to them. they called and I called a few day later and they said he would need a permit before they would issue.[ I just looked and could not see it in the FL Application instruction book.] I sent for mine on 1/27/07 maybe there is a new book out. We went and received the UT non-res permit which also covered MN which is right next door to you. Please make the call [850-245-5691] before you do the leg work and send it off. Here in CT the course is around $130 give or take. Good Luck.
    Thanks for the heads up I did not see anything in the application instructions either...I did just call and was told that I could get a non-resident license She did hesitate at first and said "your not a resident of a state we honor" I then asked her to clarify...that because I live in WI and do not hold a license from here I would not be able to receive a non resident license? She put me on hold and came back saying yes I could receive one.

BUT if anyone has been denied or knows for certain that Florida will not issue me a non resident license because I do not hold a license in another state please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyfl View Post
    Markush,

You may want to check out this site for the applicable laws; FL requires non resident licensees to hold a resident license in a state they honor. Handgunlaw.us

Good luck.
    I did do a better search of the NRA classes site and found that they offer some classes in my area for $75. The hunters safety course would be the way to go but that doesnít start until October and Iím going to try to get the application in sooner then that.

Yea, I've never read anywhere where you have to a permit from your state before getting a non-resident one from FL. I think she was just confused by the question since there are a good amount of small details that affect which state honors what, etc....

If you have the application packet it should list all the options they accept to fulfill the proficiency aspect of it, but here's the list from the statutes:

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

Planning a trip to FL soon? Or is this just for use while traveling in other states?

Hopefully WI gets their act together and gets a permit law passed.

VIP Member
    Markush. Good deal. I hope you got her name in case someone else recieve your app when you send it. You should do the hunter safety couse when it come's around in case you need it down the road. Good Luck and let us know when you get it. I also seen on the NRA site that the WI AG issued the first concealed carry permit a few weeks back to a retired investigator. This is a start in the right direction.

Got it backwards, I think.

I think Markush had it backwards when he was talking about CT and FL permits, and friends from Wisconsin. If you're not a Connecticut resident, you need a permit from another state to apply for our non-resident permit. (We don't recognized any other state's permit.) But his friend was from Wisconsin and therefore had no home state permit to use for the application. In such circumstances, people apply for a FL or UT permit first, and then for the CT permit. Convoluted, but it works. And FL and UT are useful anyway. Recognition of the CT permit is limited because we don't recognize anybody else's.

VIP Member
    Andy. I think you are speaking of me CCMAN. My Friends were looking into getting the CT non-res. I gave them the number for CT State Police in Middletown. When they called the Officer said they needed a permit from another State to apply for the CT non-res. He suggested to get a permit from maybe FL or UT as he was aware of the WI no permit situtation. After they get a permit from another State give them a call and they would send out the package. They got the UT and are in the process of filling out the CT non-res. Also Andy as you say CT does not recognize any other State's permit, is there anything we can do to change this and help out others who wish to visit CT. CCMAN Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links