FL Non-Res Acceptable Training Documentation?

This is a discussion on FL Non-Res Acceptable Training Documentation? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just received the application and instructions today for Florida's CCW and need some suggestions on training documentation to send them. I have never gone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FL Non-Res Acceptable Training Documentation?

I just received the application and instructions today for Florida's CCW and need some suggestions on training documentation to send them.

I have never gone through a Hunter Safety course of any kind nor had and formal training or participated in any formal competion. What would be the fastest, cheapest way to get a form of documentation that will satisfy Florida’s requirements?

I am new to all this so I may be "talking out of school". I would imagine any NRA approved instructor would meet the criteria.

Check you local gun shows

I took a short course offerred at a gun show. We then drove to a nearby range and performed the live fire. Less than four hours including time spent filling out paperwork.

I'm curious too. I've got a bunch of training through work and related... nothing with diplomas or certificates, etc. But I can document my training with signatures form my instructors.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I would suggest an NRA course, or hunter safety course. Military training (copy of DD 214) satisfies the requirement as well.

hmm i went here Find A Local NRA Safety Course and searched my area for NRA courses. They want $230 for basic firearm training or what they call "First Steps". That's a little bit steep for me. I haven't looked into DNR Hunters Saftey courses yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    I am new to all this so I may be "talking out of school". I would imagine any NRA approved instructor would meet the criteria.
    It would.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I'm curious too. I've got a bunch of training through work and related... nothing with diplomas or certificates, etc. But I can document my training with signatures form my instructors.
    I just submitted my application last week. I took a CCW class in Nevada for my nonresident permit. That would work, but I sent a copy of my Hunter Safety Certificate. I was surprised to find it. I took it in 1978 when I was 15.

I read that you can submit affidavits from instructors that taught you. Please check the concealed carry permit booklet. I didn't read it in detail because it didn't pertain to me.

Good luck!

With everyone talkin NRA is there another option besides their $230 courses?

Quote Originally Posted by markush View Post
    With everyone talkin NRA is there another option besides their $230 courses?
    Search google for Certified NRA instructors in your area you want the NRA Basic Pistol it's a 10 hour course. Such as the one listed here NRA Basic Pistol WI or contact Wisconsin Rifle and Pistol Association

Assemble everything:
    Envelope
    Fee
    Photograph
    Fingerprint card or proof that your fingerprints were submitted electronically by the sheriff's office using Live Scan (along with proof that you paid the sheriff's office or the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for the service).
    Proof of training
    Certified court documents (if any)
    Application with notarized signature

Course here ranges from 50-60 bucks if you have a DD 214 from the military just make a copy and send it

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Surely with the amount of deer hunting that's done in WI, there's a good, cheap hunter safety course available. I would guess that most of the courses would be in the fall, getting people ready for it. Those couldn't be that much $$.

OK, here's what I found.

Cost of Course

Beginning Monday October 3, 2005 the cost of course is $10 per student.

WDNR - Hunter Education

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Florida believes in the Military If you are in the Armed forces you automatically have the training completed. just submit your Military ID, if you are Retired Military submit a copy of your retired ID and a copy of your DD-214.

You should also order the Gutmacher Guide to understand Florida Firearms laws.
    ORLANDO CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY | AGGRAVATED BATTERY DEFENSE LAWYER JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq.

Florida Department of Agriculture.
    Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, DOACS

-----------------------------------------

How To Apply
    Obtain an Application for Concealed Weapon or Firearm License by filling out an online request form for applications or by contacting any of our offices. The application packet includes the form to be filled out, a copy of Chapter 790, Florida Statutes, a fingerprint card, and a return envelope for the completed application. The information provided below is an overview of the application process. Additional information is provided in the application instructions booklet included with your application.

Read and study the copy of Chapter 790, Florida Statutes.

Have a passport-style, color photograph made.

Get verification of training that satisfies the training requirement. The application lists acceptable documents. Make a photocopy to send with the application as an original cannot be returned. Persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their Military ID Card to satisfy the training requirement.

Get certified copies of court documents relating to any criminal charges against you.

Take the fingerprint card to a local law enforcement agency and ask to be fingerprinted. In addition to providing fingerprinting services for the traditional "hard-card" format, electronic fingerprint devices are available at almost all 67 county sheriff’s offices in the state. Visit the Electronic Fingerprints Information page to learn how Live Scan fingerprinting saves processing time.

Complete the application. Either print clearly with ink or type the information.

In the presence of a notary, sign application.

Submit a check or money order for the license fee payable to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. This fee is not refundable.

Assemble everything:
    Envelope
    Fee
    Photograph
    Fingerprint card or proof that your fingerprints were submitted electronically by the sheriff's office using Live Scan (along with proof that you paid the sheriff's office or the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for the service).
    Proof of training
    Certified court documents (if any)
    Application with notarized signature

Mail to Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Licensing, P.O. Box 6687, Tallahassee, FL 32314.

The Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License is valid for a period of 7 years. Approximately 90 days prior to the license's expiration date, the Division automatically sends a renewal notice to the address we have on file for the license holder.

--------------
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Fla. Permit

I took the Utah course 3 months ago for my utah non-resident permit. Would Fla accept a notorized copy of that training for their out of state permit?
    Thanks

Florida accepted my Kansas training certificate along with a copy of the instructors NRA credentials. Easier than my Utah permit. Mike
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.'' Warren vs District of Columbia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links