Friend "Made" Me... Sort Of...

This is a discussion on Friend "Made" Me... Sort Of... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd bet he'll be fine with it. I'm in the same situation with a friend of mine but about a different subject....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Friend "Made" Me... Sort Of...

I'd bet he'll be fine with it.

I'm in the same situation with a friend of mine but about a different subject.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I would not say anything. If he asks, tell him that you go shooting occasionally and that you had forgotten that there was any ammo in the glove box.

"Loose lips sink ships" and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    Many folks out there would be scared to death that you "carry a weapon". If you have kids, and want them to be able to have friends over to the house, and have their parents comfortable with you taking them to the movies, you'd better be darned careful with what you share. It's unfortunate, but I don't only worry about myself, and other people knowing your "secret" doesn't always effect just you.

A lot of the posters here sound like they have a pretty lax environment...friends who are shooters and CCW holders...I work in a school, and don't know a single other person with a CCW and I also live in a very liberal city.
    I understand where you're coming from. My wife is pretty much anti, and has several friends who are as well. I told her that this is a good situation for her. :) She gets almost all of the benefits of gun ownership, without ever having to touch a gun.

Here's some food for thought on the school thing. Do they know you have a CCW? If you're too afraid to tell them, it makes sense that they would be too afraid to tell you. Schools are insanely sensitive environments these days. As another example, I'd say there's a certain percentage of heavy drinkers and marijuana users working at schools in every position. None of them know that about each other, because they're all scared too death of the wrong person finding out.

Very considerate of you to address it with your friend. Whether it matters what he saw or not in the grand scheme of things, it is a good way to find out if this is the sort of fellow you want to be associated with. It doesn't sound like his reaction was negative in the least, so perhaps he already sees things like you do!

No matter what, it is good to clear the air and let him understand a bit more about where you stand.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

I fail to see a problem here. Your friend saw a magazine in the glove compartment. Big deal. Unless you have a pistol sitting on top of a kilo of cocaine in your glove box, I doubt you have anything to worry about.

ranburr

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    I fail to see a problem here. Your friend saw a magazine in the glove compartment. Big deal. Unless you have a pistol sitting on top of a kilo of cocaine in your glove box, I doubt you have anything to worry about.

ranburr

lol Good one

VIP Member

I'd take it slow

Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    but my friend in the passenger was 100% bug-eyed... like, "Wo-hoh there!" He made a little grunt of surprise, but didn't say anything else.
    Happens.

You know your friend. Go with your gut feelings how to play it based on what you know about him.

However, in general I'd suggest downplaying it. Maybe, something like, "I appreciate the way you reacted yesterday, not starting a four way discussion when (we only had x minutes before..., or when it might have upset the two gal friends, or whatever you think might work). Assume you know that I'm legal, but if you would like to talk about it when we have time for a full discussion...."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Just because you had ammunition in your car doesn't mean you carry or are carrying. It just implies you are a gun owner and shoot.

The bigger deal you make of it, the bigger deal it is. The inverse is true as well IMO.

-john

Yeah, I forgot to mention the massive quantities of coke in the glove compartment. Silly me.

They were clearly hollow points, if he knows anything about ammo, and they were in a 20-rd magazine.... hrmmm....
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

I've been in similar situations, but I try to play it off as if it's nothing and generally nothing negative comes of it. I would invite your friend to go to the range with you sometime, there's a lot of people that just don't understand guns or have held one. I hate to say it, but you'd be surprised how coke in the glove box would go over more smooth vs. the magazine with a lot of people. Maybe bring the coke instead of the magazine instead next time, just to test the waters.

He saw a magazine and a bean spilled. Why spill them all as a result?

If he asks, tell him you shoot. Don't admit to more than he saw.

You can't controll what he blabs about, but you can control what he knows.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post

+1 ^^^
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post

Why bother with all the intrigue? Absolutely nothing illegal has taken place, and just relating the fact that he carries isn't necessarily a bad thing. I recognize that CONCEALED carry is, by definition, discreet. But it isn't anything to be ashamed of or hide if a discussion springs from him having seen the mag.

I'm certain there is a facet of it I haven't thought of, but my belief in open, honest communication extends to this situation, too.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    Why bother with all the intrigue? Absolutely nothing illegal has taken place, and just relating the fact that he carries isn't necessarily a bad thing. I recognize that CONCEALED carry is, by definition, discreet. But it isn't anything to be ashamed of or hide if a discussion springs from him having seen the mag.

I'm certain there is a facet of it I haven't thought of, but my belief in open, honest communication extends to this situation, too.

Well said.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    The less people that know you carry the better...friend or foe.
    friends may not always be friends, not saying this is your situation, but it happens.
    I would rather say it is left in there from a trip to the range, and feel him out on his firearm beliefs before I spill the whole story...but this is my thought and not knowing you or your friend. nice that he didn't say anything with the ladies in the backseat...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links