Friend "Made" Me... Sort Of...

This is a discussion on Friend "Made" Me... Sort Of... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Scot Van Why bother with all the intrigue? Absolutely nothing illegal has taken place, and just relating the fact that he carries ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Friend "Made" Me... Sort Of...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    Why bother with all the intrigue? Absolutely nothing illegal has taken place, and just relating the fact that he carries isn't necessarily a bad thing. I recognize that CONCEALED carry is, by definition, discreet. But it isn't anything to be ashamed of or hide if a discussion springs from him having seen the mag.

I'm certain there is a facet of it I haven't thought of, but my belief in open, honest communication extends to this situation, too.
    + 1 ^

Open, honest communication, and discreet is a better way of saying what I was trying to say in my "Go slow post."

Some open, honest communication can be Too-Much-an-Ado-over-Little-or Nothing, or Me-Thinks-the-Lady-Protest-Too-Much, or IN-YOUR-FACE, or I'm-Ashamed, etc.

Treat it openly as no-big-deal and see where it goes. You might develop a shooting partner. You might run into a blind-faith . Or maybe some middle road. But a slow, open, honest, and discreet approach let you play it out cleanly, which ever route he wants to take it -- IMHO.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

As an X-LEO, not all LEO's carry off duty, many even stink a shooting and handling the weapon, they fear at qualifing time they may fail but do they pratice NOooo. Keep you clip in the glove box, if it offends him-dump him or explain to him why its so. Tell him not to advertise it. Only my family and close friends know/and feel safer.

"So that's where that thing is. I went to the shooting range a month ago and have been looking for this ever since."

This is as big a deal as you want to make out of it. Two topics I like to avoid in casual conversations is religion and politics. For most of us, guns fall into both of those.

kaz
    Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    I'm planning to give him a call tomorrow, explain that I have my CCW and carry, and ask him not to spread it around.

Not a bad idea. Even fellow gun people don't realize this isn't supposed to be national news. A friend asked me in front of another guy (HS classmate, so I know him and I'm not worried about it) "Did you get your concealed carry?". "Er, um. No, not yet..."

Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    Even fellow gun people don't realize this isn't supposed to be national news. A friend asked me in front of another guy (HS classmate, so I know him and I'm not worried about it) "Did you get your concealed carry?". "Er, um. No, not yet..."

Yup, a different friend of mine knows I carry, no big deal, but he didn't realize it's not something you necessarily broadcast... hence, "Are you going to be carrying when _____?" in front of friends who don't know... "err, umm." That same friend was not a big fan of me carrying till we were camping in Virginia and had a rather creepy fellow being a bit too inquisitive. Nothing came of it...

I left a voicemail with my friend who saw the magazine. I'm guessing he was at work. Probably no big deal; I'll probably bring it up later and see if he has any questions. Doesn't have to be a big deal, but I don't like keeping friends at arms-length when it is forced into the "open." Still, I'd rather not have to incur that awkwardness in the first place...
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links