Friend "Made" Me... Sort Of...

This is a discussion on Friend "Made" Me... Sort Of... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was driving a couple friends around town tonight. We'd been at one friend's house which had lots of cats, and my allergies kicked in. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friend "Made" Me... Sort Of...

Friend "Made" Me... Sort Of...

I was driving a couple friends around town tonight. We'd been at one friend's house which had lots of cats, and my allergies kicked in. As we were driving around, I went to grab my inhaler out of the glove compartment. I forgot that my second clip resides there when I'm driving, and the light turned on. The shiny clip with its mean looking Federal HST just gleamed, realizing my mistake, I grabbed the inhaler and closed the compartment as quick as possible, but my friend in the passenger was 100% bug-eyed... like, "Wo-hoh there!" He made a little grunt of surprise, but didn't say anything else. As I had two gal friends in the back who were oblivious, we drove on without an explanation.

I'm planning to give him a call tomorrow, explain that I have my CCW and carry, and ask him not to spread it around. I think he'll be fine with it, but I'm very upset with myself for my lack of foresight and general stupidity. Ah well... he's a typical Arizona resident with a grizzled fire chief of a father, so I don't expect it will be a huge deal, but who knows?
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Meh, at least all he saw was a clip and some bullets. Could have been worse had you kept a gun in there. Hopefully he understands.
    Glock 19

All of my close friends know that I carry and shooting is a hobby for me. Heck, most of my friends are shooters as well.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    First, let me be the first to say that he saw a magazine, not a clip. Unless it was a stripper clip of course.

This would be a good reason to carry your gun & magazine on your person. Get a magazine carrier & put it on your belt.

Who cares if he saw it? As long as he doesn't tell everybody about it. I'd tell him not to tell others & unless he starts asking why you carry, I wouldn't feel obligated to explain yourself. It's your business. I am lucky enough to live in a very gun friendly state, so not too many people worry about that kind of stuff here. Most of my friends carry and/or shoot too.

Nice choice on the ammo. That's what I'm gonna get when I replace my carry ammo next time.

So he saw your magazine/clip who cares what you call it, and who cares that he saw it. Now if he is truely a friend, he shouldn't be spouting off that he even saw anything. Talk to him if you want, whatever, but I wouldn't be that concerned about it.

Don't beat yourself up over something that you keep in your glove box of you car.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Not sure why most of you on these boards think that carrying must be some sort of "Top Secret" info. I personally feel that's a bit ridiculous, but to each their own I suppose. I now carry and I also keep an extra clip in the glove box. I couldn't care less who knows or doesn't know I carry. It's my right and I am well within the law......those are the ONLY two things that matter to me (concerning CCW).

I guess where I'm at a few that I know that carry ..open carry. One guy in particular owns a few businesses here in town and we chat all time. I occassionally go to his shop and talk with him for hours...all the while customers coming in and out....and all the while his gun on his hip in plain sight. Nobody even reacts to it....no stares, no comments.

I guess it depends on where you live and how you subconsciencely feel about carrying.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    You cannot control the gossip, though. I get feed back now and then that people think I have hundreds of guns of all sorts, and that leaves me vulnerable to burglaries as most of them know where I live.

A second problem is that I know some people who are terrified of firearms, and regard people who own firearms with hatred and terror, and will call the cops if they even suspect someone has a firearm on them or in their car.

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    Not sure why most of you on these boards think that carrying must be some sort of "Top Secret" info. I personally feel that's a bit ridiculous, but to each their own I suppose. I now carry and I also keep an extra clip in the glove box. I couldn't care less who knows or doesn't know I carry. It's my right and I am well within the law......those are the ONLY two things that matter to me (concerning CCW).

I guess where I'm at a few that I know that carry ..open carry. One guy in particular owns a few businesses here in town and we chat all time. I occassionally go to his shop and talk with him for hours...all the while customers coming in and out....and all the while his gun on his hip in plain sight. Nobody even reacts to it....no stares, no comments.

I guess it depends on where you live and how you subconsciencely feel about carrying.
    For many, many people it has absolutely nothing at all to do with whatever they may or may not "subconsciously feel about carrying" - it is a practical reality that a significant number of local LEOs (depending on where you live) either have no idea that carrying (especially openly) is legal, or they simply don't like the fact that you can & are, and will hassle you about it anyway. There are plenty of posts on this site and many others with stories about how some one was carrying legally and was detained & hassled by (usually) ignorant officers responding to calls from ignorant / malicious sheep, er, I mean citizens.

Again, the majority of these stories involve open carry, but it happens when carrying concealed as well. Most of us carry simply to protect ourselves & those we love, and would prefer to take whatever precautions we think are reasonable to keep the number of people who know we carry down to a minimum. This is simply the most logical way to minimize our chances of negative encounters with local law enforcement.

I'm not saying that is the right or best way to go about things for everyone - to each his own on this issue. But I can guarantee that for most of us who want to keep the number of people who know we carry down to a minimum, it has absolutely nothing to do with how we "feel about carrying", either consciously or subconsciously. Again, do what you want, but please avoid ascribing motives to those you don't know - it says more about you than it does about the folks you are 'describing'.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

My 2 cents he probably had that deer in the headlights look because he's thinking you ain't legal and if you get stopped it won't be pretty and he might be meeting this "BUBBA" guy everybody talks about in jail and he won't be able to save his virginity til he gets married,just tell him you're legal and his virginity is safe
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have a magazine carrier, but prefer to put the mag in the glove compartment while driving... perhaps I'll reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    My 2 cents he probably had that deer in the headlights look because he's thinking you ain't legal and if you get stopped it won't be pretty and he might be meeting this "BUBBA" guy everybody talks about in jail and he won't be able to save his virginity til he gets married,just tell him you're legal and his virginity is safe
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

In addition to other responses, imagine that someone you know, knows someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone who's done gaol time and who's down on their luck.

Should that person decide to earn some money the ... 'unconventional' way and comes across you at the scene, they're not going to announce, 'everyone down!'. No, they're going to pop one in your head before they even open their mouth, 'cos you're carrying and you're a threat.

Or you might get people you know who decide to get into fights, 'cos they know you can protect them. A former colleague of mine, ex French special forces used to lament this all the time, as his friends would start fights, and he'd be expected to end them. My ex-girlfriend was a bit fascinated by this guy: invited him for dinner a couple of times and kept asking him, 'have you ever killed anyone??' He was an OK dude, but a bit of a whackjob.

My view would be (will be) that only close family will know, and even then they will be under instructions that in public, they are not to refer to, look at or attempt to touch my concealed weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    I'm planning to give him a call tomorrow, explain that I have my CCW and carry, and ask him not to spread it around. I think he'll be fine with it, but I'm very upset with myself for my lack of foresight and general stupidity.
    You don't have to explain that you have a CCW and you carry. If you feel the need to explain anything (and it seems you do), just explain that you shoot and it's legal.

If you act like there's something to hide ("don't spread it around"), it will probably just spread faster. In fact, now that your "friend" knows, maybe now would be a good time to invite them to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by JimThomas View Post
    You don't have to explain that you have a CCW and you carry. If you feel the need to explain anything (and it seems you do), just explain that you shoot and it's legal.

If you act like there's something to hide ("don't spread it around"), it will probably just spread faster. In fact, now that your "friend" knows, maybe now would be a good time to invite them to the range.
    Sort of my point. I don't hide anything, no need to. Most people I know know that I carry. At any given moment maybe I am, maybe I'm not. I certainly don't see any reason to carry 24/7 or everytime I walk out the door. Then again, I am prior service (US Army Ranger) and have studied Aikido for the better part of 18 years. I have never, nor will I ever feel that I must ALWAYS be armed....because I never feel that I am a "victim". I see (read) comments from far too many people that think that because they own a gun (or many guns) that they are now some sort of Dirty Harry....i.e "should I have drawn down?" Or "should I have shot?" etc. And to boot, they now have some secret (CCW) that must be protected at all costs. On one hand it's kind of amusing and on another it's a bit scary....too know that there are a community of folks that feel that way. It's borderline obsessive and/or fanatical.

As for what you said (papanewguinea) about friends who might want to provoke others because they know you're carrying...I suppose it really has to do with those you know and who you surround yourself with. I know for a fact I don't have any knucklehead friends who would act that way. I guess I followed the old saying and "chose my friends wisely".

I agree that it's wise to always think of the worst possible scenerio...that's how I live my life. BUT....hiding, sneaking or just plain worrying about what someone thinks about my choice to carry is not a part of who I am.

As for LEO's harrassing or detaining a person who is legally carrying...of course it can happen, might happen or even will possibly happen to all of us at one time or another....maybe a few times. It's a minor inconvenience to use your right to carry.

My .02

Many folks out there would be scared to death that you "carry a weapon". If you have kids, and want them to be able to have friends over to the house, and have their parents comfortable with you taking them to the movies, you'd better be darned careful with what you share. It's unfortunate, but I don't only worry about myself, and other people knowing your "secret" doesn't always effect just you.

A lot of the posters here sound like they have a pretty lax environment...friends who are shooters and CCW holders...I work in a school, and don't know a single other person with a CCW and I also live in a very liberal city.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

VIP Member
    I see (read) comments from far too many people that think that because they own a gun (or many guns) that they are now some sort of Dirty Harry....i.e "should I have drawn down?" Or "should I have shot?" etc.
    I would disagree with you here. My POV on the subject is the fact that they are thinking through the scenario and asking for other opinions shows that they are tending away from the "Dirty Harry" mentality.

And to boot, they now have some secret (CCW) that must be protected at all costs. On one hand it's kind of amusing and on another it's a bit scary....too know that there are a community of folks that feel that way. It's borderline obsessive and/or fanatical.
    Most of the people on this board have decided that the element of surprise (the edge that comes with CC) is important in protecting themselves and their loved ones. When the information that you CC is released, you lose a little of that edge. Maybe a little obsessive or fanatical, but almost everyone has something they are obsessive about. Since this is a concealed carry forum, there is a much higher percentage of people here who carry this as their obsession.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links