Carry @ Work

This is a discussion on Carry @ Work within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Chris Dawg My work has a policy that says no weapons on the property. I realize that this policy does not exactly ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry @ Work

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    My work has a policy that says no weapons on the property. I realize that this policy does not exactly go with the 2A, it is enough to get you fired and FL is a right to work state. There is no rule preventing the average citizen from carrying on the property. I am in a position where I can get the policy changed but not the employee part. What do you think I should suggest or should I even bother?

Thanks!
    Chris
    I am not sure I got my point across very well...

On 2nd thought it doesn't matter much as a BG is not going to pay much mind to some sign or company policy.
    Do you mean you are in a position to change company policy for the customers, but not for yourself?

Am I correct in believing that the "no gun" signs have no legal weight in Florida? Is that common knowledge among those who carry legally, or would some who have their license not carry because of the sign?

My opinion is that if you can change the company policy even for customers only, that would be a good thing. It might mean more people will legally carry into your business.

As far as you not being able to carry according to company policy, one step at a time... and perhaps deep concealment.

2. Remove Ads

For me its not just the policy but it is the Law. And its different when it is the law. I always try and obey the law as it is written not as one wishes to interpret it. And here, it simply is the Law that I cannot carry at work. All I can do is obey that and try and change the law. Some places of employment go beyond what is policy and have state laws (or federal laws) applied to them. If you worked in a Federal building you wouldn't chose to carry anyway. You would obey the law. Same thing with a State institution which had a clear State law prohibiting carry. Your only choice then is to get permission from the local authority or not carry, because it is the law. Much harder to do than just risk employment. Your risking a legal challenge too.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Do you mean you are in a position to change company policy for the customers, but not for yourself?

Am I correct in believing that the "no gun" signs have no legal weight in Florida? Is that common knowledge among those who carry legally, or would some who have their license not carry because of the sign?

My opinion is that if you can change the company policy even for customers only, that would be a good thing. It might mean more people will legally carry into your business.

As far as you not being able to carry according to company policy, one step at a time... and perhaps deep concealment.
    Correcto Mundo...any gun class would/should discuss that 'point of law'...
    I love the GunShine State...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wow I may be totally wrong about this. Looking at our handbook today I don't see any mention of weapons at all. I will have to read it thoroughly when I get home tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Correcto Mundo...any gun class would/should discuss that 'point of law'...
    I love the GunShine State...
    We've got it good here in Missouri with our CCW laws, but in some areas Florida has us beat.

Keep up the good work of setting better standards for CCW, and may they keep on spreading!

Wow I may be totally wrong about this. Looking at our handbook today I don't see any mention of weapons at all. I will have to read it thoroughly when I get home tonight.
    Well that's interesting. That may put you in a catch-22 situation: if there is no policy and you ask about it, the company may create a policy that is not gun friendly.

If there is no company policy, then there apparently is no violation if you carry. If that is the situation, perhaps "don't ask, don't tell" is a good and legal option for you.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Well that's interesting. That may put you in a catch-22 situation: if there is no policy and you ask about it, the company may create a policy that is not gun friendly.

If there is no company policy, then there apparently is no violation if you carry. If that is the situation, perhaps "don't ask, don't tell" is a good and legal option for you.
    You don't need policies or laws to give you permission. Last I checked, this was supposed to be some form of a free country. Laws and policies are there to tell you what you "can't" do. Don't ask, don't tell.

concelaed means concealed, like many here will tell you. my job also has a "no weapons" policy; it used to be a "no illegal weapons" policy, but it was changed, for my benefit. as of yet, no one has asked me if i'm carrying, and if they don't ask, i won't tell. one thing i'm glad of is that my company does not reserve the right to search my person or personal belongings, so even if they suspected, they couldn't prove it. in PA, corporate policy carries no weight.

Not to steal anyones thread here .I was fired May 15th of this year for having a gun on my my hip after hours and off the clock. According to MN state law I was well within the guidelines to do so. Bottom line I was wrongfully terminated .This law was passed in 2003 and updated in 2005 .Saying that yes I can carry in the parking lot or have my carry gun locked in my vehicle .My former employer apparently is not up to date and what makes this even more fun I was also denied unemployment.merlin45kout

How did your employer find out about you carrying on your own time and outside of the premises of your work? Were you openly carrying in the parking lot? what is MN law about open carry? What was your company policy about firearms?

I assume your fighting this whole thing?

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    I had a similar situation at my work. I'm a thousand miles from my home office. But, we aren't even allowed to have guns in company vehicles. I had this changed real fast. I demanded mileage payment on my POV for taking customers shooting at a gun range for entertainment. When I was questioned on it, I explained that company policy doesn't allow guns in company vehicles. When pressed as to why I felt this was appropriate entertainment; I asked why it wouldn't be? Keep in mind that these are the same people that have no problem allowing you to exspense a $1,000 bar tab from a topless club.
    ranburr
    Brilliant!

In Mn we can open carry . Another coworker drove by and thought she seen a gun but wasn't sure .She reported this the next day .This took place around 330am I worked the night shift. There is a sign saying no guns or weapons allowed in the premises meaning in the building .Company policy states that only LE are exempt from this even if we are licensed or not. Mn statue law 624.714 passed in 03 and updated in 05 States that in the parking lot I am legal to carry or have the gun locked in my car . My employer is not up to date on this neither is unemployment. So on there assumption and not hearing my side of the story they terminated my employment. Yes I am trying to fight this I have a appeal hearing on July 1st with unemployment . My attorney Is telling me I cannot sue for compensation but to work with unemployment . Meanwhile I have no job no money coming in and no benefits. merlin45kout

Wow, seems like you could sue the coworker for slander or something, since it cost you your job. Just a thought.
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

My place of work allows no firearms anywhere on its property. One CHL holder I work with has instructed his wife to sue our company into bankruptcy if he happens to be killed at work by a crazy.

I would like to sue her . But what makes this interesting is she is a supervisors sister. I believe that is why they took her word over mine. merlin45kout

How many of these employees wished they were carrying.............?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-shooting.html
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links